What age should a girl be allowed to wear makeup?

My dad absolutely hates makeup. It took him 2 years for him to get used to me wearing nail polish. He forced me to sign a contract when i was 8 that i wouldn't wear makeup until i'm 16. The other day I left some eyeshadow on the love seat in the living room it was used. So when I was at school he took it and threw it away in a trash can at a restaurant. I don't wear it around him I only wear it to church. He only allows me to wear lip gloss and nail polish. But I dont think its fair my mom agrees with me but she can't control him. My dad is very stubborn and always gets his way. I'm almost 15! Am I to young to be wearing makeup? Is my dad being overdramatic?

Most Helpful Guy

• There is no set age. As soon as she learns how to apply it well, so that she doesn't look like a clown, she should be able to wear makeup. It is unlikely that he will be okay with you wearing makeup even when you are 16 while you live with him. That was likely just his attempt to sound more reasonable in order to buy some more time. Your dad is overly dramatic, but there is nothing you can do about it, until you are out of the house.

• My parents are divorced my dad is currently living here to help out.

• I can't believe he actually made an 8 year old sign a contract though. That seems really weird. I hope you realize that is not legally binding. lol

• I hope he does move back out. I really didn't agree with the contract but I was forced. He made it himself and it said I my name will not wear makeup until I'm 16. Sounds so crazy lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• No your not to young to be wearing makeup. This is the age to start figuring out what ya like and what you don't. I guess your dad is just very strict in this manner. My father hated when i started wearing makeup but i explained to him that i have to try things in order for me to decide if i like it or not. And he agreed. Been wearing ever since. Your not wrong about trying new things i think your dad needs to lay off...
    Take care sweetie! :)

• The topic is not up for discussion with him so I can't explain anything. I'm gonna be stuck waiting another year.

• That's good! It's a good strategy to be well informed on makeup! No worries.
      Hope all works out in your favor! :)

• Thank you!

What Guys Said 3

• Well get a lawyer and sue your dad in court otherwise a contracts a contract and it's legally binding

• He made the contract himself.

• It doesn't matter the second you prove he forced you to sign it he's going to prison for 5 to 10 years

• I have no clue where he hid the contract its been so long.

• From age of 13 girls can wear makeup.

• 16 not before...

What Girls Said 8

• *shrugs* the sooner you start using it, the sooner you get good at it. It's really your parents' decision though. When you move out you can wear what you want.

• Some time once she's in high school... I want to say once she's a Sophomore so 15.

#SophomoreSluts 😂
    mtv.com/.../Slut4.gif

• I'm almost 15 but I'm gonna be a freshman next year.

• Skip a grade? Or start kindergarten early?

• 12 is fine I guess. I would be okay if my daughter started wearing makeup at 12. I have always loved makeup but I started wearing full makeup ( blush, lipstick, eyeliner) from 13 and started contouring from 16.
    Maybe he thinks makeup will ruin your skin? I can understand his concerns in early teens, but 16 is too much :/ .
    Don't wear makeup infront of him, wear it at school and carry wipes to wipe it off before going home.
    My mom and dad got me a makeup kit at 8, lol, I could bully them into buying me anything but I think they should have at least stopped me till 11.

• I don't believe in a hard age.

I think, the summer before high school, is a good time to start learning...

• I'm starting high school in about 5 to 6 months.

• ok, so.. I just fully read your question.

if you dad is all like that about it.. I'd just wait, it's just one more year.

That being said.. maybe when he isn't around, you and your mom can start practicing and stuff, so when you start, you know what you like and what looks good on you.

• Thank you!

• My mom gave me eyeliner, concealer, mascara and some eye shadow in middle school. I think that's a good time to start exploring it.
    I didn't start really get into makeup until my freshman year of college.

• I didn't start wearing makeup until I was 15 almost 16, and now I wear so much lol
    I think you are old enough to wear it

• I would say you are at the right age to start wearing makeup. You should get your mom to talk him into letting you start to practice with stuff at home (but not out) so that once you are 16, you know what you're doing.

• You're dad sounds like a crazy asshole, he shouldn't care that much