Is Floyd Mayweather Jr. a totally manufactured and protected champion?

• Yes
    25% (1)36% (4)33% (5)Vote
  • No
    50% (2)36% (4)40% (6)Vote
  • Maybe
    25% (1)28% (3)27% (4)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
1|7

Most Helpful Girl

• Meh, he is not much of a fighter, but he has good evasive maneuvers, though, that's not enough to be a boxing legend... yeah, maybe he has protection.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Manufactured, not really. Protected? Tough to say. I mean, dude was a great boxer, it just sucks to watch him box. His whole style is predicated on defense and eluding punches, and just letting guys wear themselves down until he catches them slipping. You can certainly argue the Pacquiao fight was pushed off for way too long and they were both well past their primes by the time it happened.

The state of boxing these days is pitiful. It's such a great sport but all the best athletes will to pursue combat sports seem to be going the MMA route. We need another great heavyweight to come along, there hasn't been one since the 90s. The only real memorable fights worth the price of admission in recent memory were the Mickey Ward-Arturo Gatti fights in the early 2000s. I miss great fights like those.

0|2
    0|0
    • i agree on first paragraph.
      Boxing is doing bad because mma is better to me because it is a realistic fight. If you clinch with me in real life i will try to slam you or do something. Also when they be rubbing their shoulders while trying to set up an uppercut it doesn't make sense.
      A fight sport is a fight sport and i want to see the more realistic one

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!

What Guys Said 6

• Well, he seems to be a good fighter - at first glance, but I think you are right, he has some sort of protection.

1|1
    0|0
  • Hard to say - he was definitely a defensive fighter but then defense is a legitimate strategy, and who would not want to slip and weave straight rights and hooks from pacquiao and de la Hoya? Every boxer is dealing with the threat of concussion and serious injury: May weather did extremely well to win 49 matches and never lose. Say what you want about slipping, sidestepping and his clinch / pocket maneuvers but no sane man steps into the ring to be a human punch bag.

0|1
    0|0
  • You know that a champion ain't no true champion when you see him pick fights. Muhammad Ali never had it easy, they stripped him, put him in unfair matches, put him and Joe Frazier in hell. He always managed to come out on top. That's a champion, not someone who boxes purely for the sake of the dollar.

0|1
    0|0
  • he gets some quick jabs in, dances around and gets paid a Billion dollars
    what a life right? lol

0|1
    0|0
  • He definitely was talented, but he could've been so much more. He ducked a lot of fighters in their prime (Paquio) because there was a great chance that he would've loss.

0|1
    0|0
  • What would one classify as a "manufactured" champion?

0|1
    0|0