Do you ever grow your own food?

• Yes, I grow some of my own food
  • Nope, I don't grow any food

Most Helpful Guy

• In my country Switzerland it's very normal to grow some food for yourself. Almost every person who's got a house or an apartment on the first floor also has a garden. My parents both grow lots of vegetables and some salad and my brother and his girlfriend also grow things. Back when I was a child, our garden was even bigger and back then, my parents also had about 10 chicken and some rabbits. The chicken gave us eggs and once in a while for a birthday or so, we'd slaughter one (or a rabbit) and eat it. It was almost like a very tiny, private farm :-). Now I live on my own, together with my girlfriend. Unfortunately we can't grow anything because we live on the 3rd floor and don't have a garden. Contrary to the US, owning a house in Switzerland is not normal. Especially not for young people. Houses are extremely expensive and you can only buy one after having worked for 20 years or so (most people who buy a house can only do so around the age of 40-45).
    However, we do have some basil plants and if we ever get to have a garden, I would love to grow some of my own food and maybe even have a few chicken or a sheep.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yerp
    -herbs (mint, red basil, spring onions)
    -hairy melons
    -lemons
    -pumpkins
    -tomatoes
    -lemongrass
    -long snake beans
    -lettuce
    -chillies
    -persimmons

What Guys Said 13

• Tomatoes, green peppers, jalapenos, cucumbers, chives, and herbs.
    Not a lot. A pot or two of each. But it is interesting to watch it grow and develop, and to see the results of your work, with watering and everything else, when you finally have stuff to harvest.

• I have a black thumb, sorry.

• Yes, a friend of mine at work lives at the country side and he has a huge field. Every year, I team with some of my friends and we go plant potatoes and in exchange we all get a share :) Not just potatoes, but that's the main thing. Small scale cabbaging, carroting, tomatoing and such.

• No I don't do you?

• yes i always do.
    nothing tastes or smells better than fresh home grown food and delicious fresh eggs from raising chicken next to my house.

• my family raises chickens so we get their eggs and we used to have a garden but no anymore

• No but my dad did.

• I'm trying to grow mushrooms right now. Kinda working, but taking much longer than I expected.

• I've helped my grandpa grow food when I'd visit him, but never for myself.

• Did it for my girlfriend. and her neighbor stole the food when it was ripe.

• I don't grow anything. Too lazy.

• Yeah I lay turds... who wants to eat one? hahahahahaha...

Don't get mad I was just jokin'...

Anyway seriously... no I don't grow any...

• No, when I was a kid I used to grow some vegetables but not anymore, except for a chilli plant but it's not ready yet

What Girls Said 9

• My dad does. I'd like to too... It's extremely smart and useful to do so. Flowers are pretty, but they're a waste... Grow carrots, rosemary and potatoes instead. =)

• My family has two big gardens where we grow vegetables in the spring and summer.

• We've tried but our soil is too sandy.

• I have a garden.

• Yeah, my family grows our own tomatoes, herbs, potatoes, cabbages and so on :P We also have a few pear & apple trees on our property. We're pretty lucky to have access to as much produce as we do so we give some of it to friends. :)

• We grow herbs in the kitchen. We tried growing some fruit trees outside but the neighbors have these very tall trees the block the sunlight.

• vegetable and some herbs for cooking - lime, lime leaf, curry leaf, lemongrass, sugarcane and tomato.. it's easier than going to supermarket to buy those at ridiculous price, u can get it for free, forever lolz

• It's too damn cold where i live to do that. Hopefully summer though.

• Only basil and scallions at the moment.
    I hope to have a little garden when I move.