Girls, guys, what's the holiday destination the farthest from home, that you've visited?

Always nice to hear some things about holiday destinations, it cheers us up :D
In my case (I'm from Belgium) it was Sri Lanka, just south of India.
A little bit closer was Florida... most other holidays were within 3000 km (1900 mi) from home.

Most Helpful Girl

• Egypt and Parts of Europe, @Hans222.
    When One has a Passport, the Sky is Not... Limited.
    Good luck. xx

• Haha yeah you've made good use of the passport :D
      I've been in Egypt too, beautiful country and it's a miracle how nicely those old buildings have been conserved :D

• MH is all yours sis... liked that passport statement and the destinations :-)

• Thank you so much, bro @Hans222 for the Vote of Confidence and for Making My Already Great Monday.. Even Greater.. I love you, my Good Friend. xxoo

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 15

• I'm from the East Coast of the US and the farthest I've been is England. I've also been to Canada, Jamaica, and Costa Rica. Canada and Costa Rica weren't really vacations though, one was part of a conservation project and the other is I go to university in Canada. Jamaica was a destination wedding :)

• Sounds great, all of these are places where I'd love to go.
      England I've done a dozen times, it's only 75 min by car ferry from Calais (France) to Dover (England). And Calais is about 3 hours driving from my home in Belgium.

• I went to honduras once

• I've never been there... have briefly visited the Dominican Republic and Jamaica on aircraft technical stops but never been in Honduras.
      Nice country to visit?

• Yeah you can easily get rape or something!

• Gosh.. nice holiday :-(
      I'll go there in my new car, I feel safe in it!
      static.progressivemediagroup.com/.../2l-image.jpg

• Probably Bangkok, Thailand.

• I see! And do I remember it well (sorry if I'm wrong) that you and your sis were both on here and from North Africa?

• @ElissaDido
      I visited Carthage, Tunis, Sousse, Gabes, El Djem , Nefta, Douz, the Chott el Djerid, Kairouan and a few places more in your country. Loved it! ♥

• @jacquesvol Wow! I'm glad you liked, I hope to visit it someday as-well! Outside of Tunis I only know Sousse and Hammamet !

• Tanzania m. It was awesome

• I've never been anywhere else in Africa than Egypt... I'm a little afraid of the tropical climate :-(

• Why Sri Lanka? What is there to do? Good resorts?

• I wanted to see a really exotic country. They have beautiful nature, nice culture (Buddhist temples) and many wild animals. I remember the elephants and and all variants of lizards - up to a meter long!

• Serbia is the farthest I've travelled from here.

• Oh yeah, that's quite a journey!
      Must be like 9 hours of flying or so... from here it would be roughly 2 hours.

• Unfortunately not that far... Never really been on a vacation, just a one day visit or trip. :(

• Those can be nice as well... I've done many great holidays at less than 2 hours driving from home :D

• True =)
      Sounds fun to be close to home, but somehow more adventurous to be far from home.

• That's true, and in the end the most important thing is to relax when you're on holiday :D
      Those close by holidays were generally walking or cycling holidays in a rural part of Belgium or the Netherlands.

• Victoria BC

but it is in the same country as I live in lol

• Yeah but your country is a little larger than Belgium haha :D
      Here the longest distance is about 330 km - roughly 200 miles :o

• I currently reside in the 6th largest municipality in Canada lol

Where I was born is 14th..

Where I grew up is 88th.. but it cheats lol.. it's a collection of 18 different communities

• Hahaha that's an intriguing puzzle Betwyn... when I have a calm moment I'll dive into it :D

• Florida was probably the longest trip since we were driving about 14 hours to get there.

• That's a long drive :o
      I've been there too, we stayed near Orlando and visited the theme parks there, an aircraft museum in Kissimee, Cape Canaveral and a nearby coastal town :D
      I think it was Daytona Beach, where you also have large oval for car races...

• Yeah, I've been to those places as well. :)

• Furthest I've ever gone was Rome. I've only been abroad twice.

• I've never visited Rome but it is on my wish list!
      I have been close though... have visited an airshow in Grossetto, about 100 km North of Rome. It's about 15 years back.

• @jacquesvol do you speak Italian?
      I don't... Dutch, English, French and a little German but not Italian or Spanish...

• I speak and read Italian but I don't write it.

• Well I guess with me being in the UK.. It would have to be Australia & New Zealand.

• Oh dear, that's really the other side of the globe. You make me dream :D

• Sorry to hear that. Take care of the good memories, that will comfort you in the hard moments :D

• @Hans222 .. Don't worry I do very much so, cherish the memories most fondly.

• Probably Germany but that wasn't really for holiday. In the end it was though. But it was winter. So I don't know.

• Yeah, I remember you asked questions before leaving to Germany :D

• we have been to the canary islands which is 1,500 miles from home in the uk

• Oh yeah, I've always loved to go there.
      Let's start dreaming... from the UK or Belgian wet and windy winters... to the 20-25°C and exotic bars on the Canary Islands.
      Nice & sunny weather, a cocktail, mmmmmmmmmmm! :D :D

• Did I notice something... your age... happy Birthday?

• lol my birthday was some time ago but thank you lol

• I'm from Canada! I visited Fiji! :)
    Did you enjoy Sri Lanka?

• I enjoyed the culture and landscape of Sri Lanka, but the tropic climate (read: sticking to your blankets all night since it's 100% humid) was not really my thing :o

• i Know right! Belgium is pretty awesome though.. You guys have good chocolate too! And I'm thinking that one will feel the jet lag for quite a while :)

• Oh yeah, Belgian chocolates are famous, yum yum :D

• Pacific island Fiji and bora bora

• Oh wow, that sounds exotic :D
      Where did the voyage depart from?
      For me Fiji would be about the maximum jetlag I could have (I'm from Belgium) :o

• thats what i wanted to say travelling to usa or South america means not bad jet lag, i dont remember having it in brazli, but east travels are horrible.. i am the queen of jet lagg i have them always, desperate.. hahah

• Haha what morning? No morning - it's afternoon :o :o

• I live in Canada and visited Malaysia last year. It was amazing !!!

• Sounds great! These holiday studies cheer me up :D

• If you plan on coming to Canada, definitely check out Banff and Victoria seaport.

• I'll keep that in mind! I've heard about Banff as a holiday venue, probably on TV :D

What Guys Said 11

• hmm for me its probably pennsylvania from my home in hawaii unless florida is further, but nothing crazy yet. I intend to go to the netherlands as well as a ton of other EU countries:)

• Haha than you'll be very close by me!
      The language is the same :D
      Though speaking English is no problem there, as it is in Belgium.

• In Belgium the 2 main languages are Flemish (equal to Dutch), spoken by about 6.5 million people, followed by French spoken by 4.5 million. Just under 100,000 people speak German.
      My mother tongue is Flemish.

• Mmmm is it as harsh sounding as the german language?

• Yucatan in S Mexico, to visit the antiquities there.

• Yeah, that's a culture I'd also one day like to see. Beautiful temples I guess?

• I visited the temples using their secondhand US 60 or more yr old Greyhound buses, like the peones , chickens aboard ea. :)

• Haha I guess the chicken were your meal?

• I'm from New York and I backpacker Europe in 2007. Distance wise, the farthest I've ever visited would probably be Vienna, Austria or Amsterdam, Netherlands.

• You came close to me than, did you pass through Belgium since we're between Austria and the Netherlands. That is, if you're not going through Germany and directly into the Netherlands.

• Yep, I passed through Belgium by train. I got around using the Eurail.

• Oh yeah than you'll probably either have been passing through Liege, Brussels and Antwerp... the logical trajectory when you enter Belgium by train from Germany.

• Australia. I'm from Malaysia. In fact, Oceania is the only continent other than Asia that I've been to.

• I'd like to come there as well, such a beautiful country :D
      But for me it would be 20+ hours flying and about 10 hours of jetlag :o

• We have lots of problems, but I will say that our country is pretty fantastic as a tourist destination! Haha if you do happen to stop by, the food will probably the most memorable thing for you, by far xD

• What I remember about Asian food (from my visit to Sri Lanka): it was spicy. I mean: hoooooooooooooooot :o :o

• Home is in Melbourne, and I've been to London, which is as close to being exactly on the other side of the planet as it's going to get.

• Oh yeah I can visualize that! A good 12,000 mile flight an an hour or 10 of jetlag :o

• Azores, Italy, Bahamas.

• Oops I had totally missed your opinion :-( need new glasses :o
      In the Azores and Italy I've been as well. I like those Volcanic Islands, like the Azores or the Canary Islands :D

• Me too! Though having someone with us who speaks Purtugese would be an advantage.
      At the time we had a guide and one fellow tourist who spoke it fluently :D

• I have a friend who is fluent so it's perfect 👍🏼

• I went to Hawaii for a month, that would be the furthest for me.

• One more place I'd love to go :D
      Gosh so many GAG'ers made me dream!

• yeah seriously! so many cool places to visit.

• i live in South India but traveled to North India so many times... that itself is 3000 km long journey

• Yeah, compared to the maximum 330 km you can travel in Belgium, my country is like a large city :D

• well 330 km still is a lot in case you decide to go on a scenic road trip.

• That's true, especially with the traffic jams in a county where 400 people live on your average square km... packed like sardines :o = traffic jams everywhere :-(

• Florida, like a 12-13 hour drive or roughly a two hour flight.

• Haha for me it was an 8 hour flight to the USA and a 7 hour flight back... stayed in Orlando.

• Woah, hope you flew at night to at least sleep through most of the flight.

• Nope I cannot sleep in planes, buses,... so I was just awake :o

• vancouver for me from uk

• Yeah, Canada is also on my wish list for one day... time and budget allowing :D

• From west coast north America and I've been to the Philippines. That's the farthest.

• Oh yeah I guess that something like 8 to 10 hrs flying from home?