If YOU could set the age of consent, what age would you set it at?

If it was up to you to choose where to set the age of consent, what age would you set it at?

• 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 15 or younger
  • 21 or older

Most Helpful Girl

• Between 18-20. That or just once you graduate high school. Still even if they are 18 or 19. Doesn't mean they know what they truly want sexually. I know between those ages I didn't know at all. Which lead to my destructive spiral out of control. Then I became wiser after i turned 20.

• yay thank you for mhg ^^

• i hope it is cleared, but it shows the potential side effects of a good natured law (fukin up someone's life) you can still post something but i am going to sleep cause i got stuff to do tomorrow

• @hazoplmeught It wouldn't fuck up their life. If they didn't do it in the first place. Nobody made them take those photo's and send them. Plus that's really stupid to send anything nude over cell phones or on the internet. Since people can get their claws into them.

Most Helpful Guy

• 16 for sex with people having the same age.
    18 or 19 for sex with adults.

What Girls Said 7

• I'd go for 16. It's when I became sexually active and when a lot of other people from the UK did too. It works fine for us, maybe because at 16 we've left compulsory full time education and feel a little more responsible? I think there are a few places where the age of consent is lower too.

• since 2015, you can't leave at 16 anymore. Just FYI.

• @FilthyPervert As far as I'm aware, you can leave compulsory education but you have to be doing something else with your time like working on an apprenticeship. I'm in uni, so it doesn't affect me anymore obviously which is great, but yeah. I thought as long as you did something else, you could leave education.

• I definitely think 18 or older, because I look back now and think how many people didn't even care for the age of consent however at 18 most are more logical thinkers and I don't think anyone above 20 should have anything romantically wise with anyone whose 16 and such. They're just on totally different areas in life and thinking wise.

• My little sister had a boyfriend of 2.5 years from when she was 15 and he was 20 to when she was 17 and he was 22. From what I could tell, they had a very good, caring relationship. Better in my opinion than the boyfriend she's got now, who is almost the same age.

• Why are men such pervs? Younger than 15?

I was going to ask a question similar to this because most guys seem to have no internal moral compass when it comes to sex with minors. :/

• 18 because that's the age that you are legally an adult and your parents won't have to help support your dumb ass when you screw up and have kids too young.

• You're mistaking the age of consent with an a hypothetical law that would forbid sex to teenagers. If the age of consent is at 18, it doesn't mean 14-year olds can't have sex. It simply means a 19 year old can't have sex with his 17 year old girlfriend, which I find pretty retarded.

• @lolatyou
      "allowed to sleep with someone who is 2 years older than you without any statutory rape charges." That's what they commonly call a "Romeo and Juliette clause".

• I see, wasn't sure exactly but I know it's that way in some areas.

• I think 18

• Eighteen

• 18 seems fine.

What Guys Said 9

• Like, so it were the same all over the world? I don't know.. It were 15 in the country I were born in. It's 13 here, with "many" variations and strict laws attached.

17-18 seems fine, I suppose. Perhaps even 16, because these ages
    are most common for people to start these things.

• 14 years, which is the case in most European countries.

• Im thinking maybe two or three years old? But no more, i mean common at that age they should be able to pick up a bottle and drink it themselves. I don't need to always have to go get baby formula.

• I had sex at 14 and was totally fine. I have never understood what the big deal is.

• 21. I think children are too young. According to Science you brain develop till you are just 20 years old, and some say even longer so yeah.

• Why would brain development matter here? Sex is something natural, it's not a drug. Also, just because you set the age of consent at 21 doesn't mean it's illegal for teenagers to have sex.

• @BlueCoyote True, but I think that some people are not ready to handle it till they are older. I am not trying to stop people from doing it though. They just have to be ready.

• @BlueCoyote
      It's not about just copulating nicely, age is about handling the other person's sex drive and taking precautions and handling consequences.

• I would keep it at 18. I don't plan on having sex with older people for a while...

• When she gets cooter hair, Hell I don't know.

• 14 years

• We have 15 in my country, moderated up to 18 if they are in a relation where the younger depends on the older, and that is working well enough. Certainly no need to raise it.

Social norms and judgement enforce a reasonable age-range anyhow. It isn't as if all adults suddenly start dating the youngest age allowed people.
    Which is why I voted for 15, not younger.

And really people? You want to have it at 18? Women hit their sexual prime (biologically speaking) at 16. It is when your bodies are at their optimal shape for handling childbirth etc. Not at all saying we should advocate teenage pregnancies, but forbidding sex past when we should be most capable of handling it is, weird.