Am I immature or weird if I go home from college every weekend?

It's my Junior year, and as my parents have stated, I should be staying here full time and have a close group of friends with some kind of sense of it feeling as home. However, I hate it here. My parents don't understand and blame it on my unwillingness to give it a chance.

I go to a private college in a small town, up on a hill away from civilization. I do not have a car. I do not have any close friends. I have grown to get used to the place but it was NOT fit for me and I decided because of the academic life, I would stay. It's a superb school for academics (the reason we go to college).

But come weekends, I have my parents pick me up and I go home til Monday morning. I find this place suffocating and boring and it makes me depressed. The clubs don't interest me. The activities they have are for 5-year-olds (cookie making night! Sledding night! Lame dances where people awkwardly grind. It'sam a dry campus too).. I don't know... I just end up staying in my room and draw & paint and listen to music.
At home, we live near a rather large city, so I go there every weekend to regain some life back in my bones. It reminds me that there is LIFE and excitement in this world. My best friend is at home too and we always have a grand time together. Also, I go on dates many weekends and it's easier when I have access to a car so some random dude off tinder I haven't met in person isn't picking me up.

My parents are fed up and say I'm acting childish. I do agree that it is acting spoiled (all I want is to have fun) but I don't know I figure these are my young years and being stuck at some private school during the week is enough for me. If I stay longer I honestly get depressed. And it's only 50 min away from home.

Most Helpful Guy

• No you are not immature, the atmosphere of the college just does not suit you well so going home when you live so close is understandable although some of those activity nights can be fun if you give them a chance. You are not weird either there are plenty of people who do not do those activities and are perfectly normal

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think that's childish, my family friend was living in residence for her first year of university and would drive herself home every weekend to stay with her family. Instead of having your parents pick you up, can't you take public transit if you don't have a car

What Guys Said 7

• Don't be embarrassed, but I never understood people of your mindset. Like college is what I waited for my whole life, or at least my teenage years. I couldn't wait to leave home and strike out on my own and party my ass off, haha. There were always the people who went home every few weekends to hang out with their high school friends or go home and do laundry, etc, and I was just like "dude, you're doing it wrong. The actual school part is boring, you're supposed to stay on the weekends, that's what the whole experience is about!" But I went to a major league party school, your school sounds pretty boring, honestly, haha, so maybe it's a better time at home.

• Dude partying at my school SUCKS.
      That's why I go home. The city life has much more jam and glam than my little private school does. Life is outside

• i think your parents have a point. they want you to expand your world and potentially your friend group. a big part about college is making new connections that will last well beyond college

i understand not feeling like you fit in with a social scene at a school but you do have to sort of see their point, and also the "burden" of having to shuttle you back and forth.

when you go home on weekends are you meeting up with friends and being social?

• I am. I go out to a large city and meet new people.

• cool. well maybe you just make that point to them. just reiterate that it's not like you come home and sit in your room like Emily Dickinson. you are going out and hanging with friends, meeting people.

as long as you gave social life at your school a real shot then i don't think you should get too much flack for coming home to a social scene you prefer.

• you don't go to college for the academics. you go to college for the education. academics are bout 5% of what college is about. it's just as much about learning in your field as it is about learning life skills. living on your own, making your own friends, meeting people, developing social skills, etc.

you chose the college. you could've just transferred to 1 that's more suitable to you. it's not immature of you, but it's not healthy in the long run. the people you meet in college are your best friends for life. i'm personally way closer to them than the people i grew up with and i lived in a small, dinky ass town where i knew 90% of my friends since kindergarten.

• Nah that's not true. That's an individual thing

• I honestly don't think I need that pre artificial life

• no shit that's not how you see it, hence your question. i'm not giving you an opinion. i'm giving you a fact. that's the point of college. not what i think the point of college is. whether you want to believe it or not is fine with me, if you want to see it as purely an academic institution, i don't care, but i'm telling you what college is and what it's supposed to represent

• Well your parents are fed up but are enabling you. My parents would just say if I want a ride home each weekend I'm either going to play for a cab or buy a car. Either way I'm getting a job.

• could it be that they were hoping to also have fun on the weekends and since your home they cannt.

• No. Why would you be? It's your choice. Just make sure you socialize every once in a while.

• Like I stated, I socialize more when I am at home because I go out to the city and meet new people and experience life in totality. At my school everything is all uptight and quiet

• Honestly I do the same thing too. I haven't really made any friends in college and I'm almost done with junior year and I just go home a lot to hang out.

• Aw that makes me feel better. Everyone is saying I'll miss out on the experience but I look around me and I don't know I don't really want it

What Girls Said 0