Why cashiers in cities address clients in a formal manner?

Never understood it... they sound like fuckin' robots...

In ma neighborhood they never do dat... they always approach me in a friendly manner... but everytime I go to city they are always like dat... sounds really stupid and fake...

Most Helpful Girl

• U mean fak lik da fakin wa u tlk?

Most Helpful Guy

• Manager probably tells them to. I live in a town of about 50k people, and I work at a grocery store as a bagger/cart pusher/cashier. My old manager used to tell us to say "thank you for your business" instead of "have a good one" or whatever.

But fuck that.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 3

• The issue is this:

In a city, the worst thing you can do to someone is waste their time. Cashiers and other service people are ideally courteous, efficient and unobtrusive. In a small town, everyone is part of a broader family. In a city, the vast vast majority of people are and will always be strangers to me. My goal is to spend time with people I know and care about. Having to spend extra time conversing with service people delays me from being with those I want to be with.

If I had to give 5 minutes of time to everyone I encountered in a day, I would never be able to do anything else. There are simply too many people to regard them all as deserving of my attention. Since this is my attitude (and the attitude of many city people) service people provide their services in a way the market demands: short, sweet & impersonal.

• Dat's way I hate buyin' from a city... but sometimes I have no other option since there's a bigger variety there...

• Maybe it's all part of their company's "policies" to be that way and create the illusion that they have to sound and act like they actually give a shit and like their job but in reality they are just there to get paid and make the money they need to support themselves.

• Because in cities, they have too many customers to remember