Do you believe in past lives? If so, do you feel like you may be paying for your sins of the past in the present?

This is an odd question, I know. I just wonder sometimes if my life is the way it is because of the kind of person I may of been in the past and maybe I have to deal with the conquenses of that now in the present. I know life is suppose to be hard and it's hard for everyone, but when you never seem to catch a break it's hard not to wonder if there's a cosmic reason for it or something.

So, do you believe in past lives? If you do, do you feel like you may be paying for your sins of the past in the present?

Most Helpful Guy

• ... no. i don't believe in past lives. there are a lot of people who claim that they've lived past lives and can remember them. ironically most of them tend to have been queens and kings and heroes. wishful thinking because no one is going to say "in my past life, i was a peasant who farmed day and night until my back broke, living a completely plebeian life until i died of a heart attack at 50."

i'm not saying i know anything about it. i'm saying i don't and i'm saying that people who claim to know don't either.

the human brain needs a "reason for it". that's why religion exists. that's why paradolia exists and people see things in clouds and the virgin mary on a piece of toast. because the human brain wants everything to make sense and have a reason. it also seeks out patterns compulsively. problem is the human brain is pretty retarded. if there's no obvious reason then it comes up with a couple possible ones then goes "yeah, that must be it."

there are no payments for sins other than what other people give. it's just random chaos: probability. read a story about a 14 year old girl a couple months ago who was walking in the woods and some guy on a motorcycle bashed her in the head with his helmet, then proceeded to violently rape her, then stomped her to death and left her naked body lying in the woods. you really think she deserved it because she committed a sin in her past life? that's much to convenient a delusion. a way to say "look, everything is balanced and fair. it's not that an innocent teenage girl got raped and beaten to death. it's that she was actually guilty in a past life."

life is pain and life is chaos.

as for never catching a break. there's a reason for that too. the same reason that someone who drives to work every day goes "traffic is ALWAYS so horrible!". well, probably not. it's because they only *pay attention* to the traffic when it's horrible. the same as a woman saying that a man "never leaves the seat down." while the man might claim that he "always leaves the toilet seat down." the man only remembers the times when he remembered to put the seat down and the woman only remembers the times where she had to put the seat down.

i'm sure you've caught a break or two. you just didn't focus on it as you do when you wish to catch a break but don't.

look up steven novella, a neurologist who gives lectures on how stupid the brain is and logical and critical thinking.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have often pondered the same thing. I've even seen instant karma happen to people. Sometimes in life I wonder what I did to deserve such great blessings while other times I ponder why I must endure some of the things I have. I like to think the score gets evened somehow, eventually, although it's all so mysterious.

What Guys Said 20

• Conceptually, past lives are silly. Somewhat interesting, sure. Certainly not rational.

Your life is the way it is because of a combination of random circumstance and all of the decisions you have ever made.

It's best to do what you can in the now to better your situation than essentially throw your hands up and say that fate is keeping you down.

• No, because the fact that I'm a reasonably healthy human being would mean that I did something exceptionally well in a past life. And I don't believe that I did, because I'm not that good of a person. Though I have noticed striking similarities I have with many members of my extended family who are dead and/or I never met. In particular, two of my uncles. One of them I never met (died before I was born) and the other whom I only met once before he died. Is it possible that we can be connected in some way, or that they're guiding me as some sort of guardian angel deal? I don't know. But the similarities are freaky.

• I don't, but I've sometimes thought about it as if was real, cause it's just fun to think what you may have been... what if I was Hitler? :O
    But I don't believe. When we die, it's over.

• I don't, this is the only life we have in my point of view. There's nothing before it and nothing after it, we have to make our time here count.

• No. It is highly unlikely and at least theoretically impossible, if not actually impossible.

• Judging by my current life, i was either Attila the Hun or Hitler.

• I do believe in past lives, but i believe every experience to be a clean sheet with an initial goal set before you where born. I don't think that past live experiences translate in your new live experience, its about mentally growing as a whole.

• No I really don't.

• No, I do not believe in past lives. As for feeling like you never get a break, life just sucks that way most of the time.

• As a Christian I believe it what the Bible tells me, however I've often wondered if I done something catastrophically wrong since my life has been nothing but a unbelievable torment to paint a picture would be the center of hell.

• let me stop you for a moment... your problem is accepting success, and determining failure. life is supposed to be hard? no life is a progression of obstacles. as you learn how to deal with them life becomes easier, and easier.

• No... one is responsible for his own... don't take it lightly but... one can do anything even the undoable... get ass up up n start ur journey towards the destination u chose

• nope

• Ya sometimes I do

• the fact that the population is growing means past lives is bull shit if everyone was somebody else before then why is there more of us now?

• Who knows, the thought has crossed my mind but I really dont give it much thought.

• No, I don't believe in metaphysic mumbo jumbo of any kind.

• We will never know.

• I believe of course... and I believe I was a REALLY bad person... otherwise I'd not born in 1991... and be in ma 20s during 10s...

• I don't believe in past lives but perhaps one can be put through difficult circumstances as a result of the sins of their ancestors.

What Girls Said 6

• I do and I know this life will just be another addition to the other's. As far as me paying for those I wronged I don't know sometime's I do think so. I think I fucked someone or one's over in LOVE lol I swear... I know some situation's are tough, but damn it something is really wrong with mine! Other than that everything is dandy like candy.

• no i don't, but i don't disrespect that view.

• Yes some people get it better cos of good karma and the people who get it bad because they abused their body And mind. So now they come here again but terrible diseases

• I allow the possibility of reincarnation, but I don't think we pay for the sins we made in other lives.

• i didn't really 'pay' for any sins just yet so i must have been a nice gal

• I used to. When I was around 5-6. I don't know why, but that's what I used to tell my mother. I no longer believe that bullshit though.