Can money buy you happiness?

Most Helpful Guy

• No I don't think so, I think money is way overrated by a lot of people. There have been studies done on this and it showed that of course if you're under a certain income then you will suffer and your happiness will go down but as long as you're not in poverty any extra income did NOT increase the happiness of the people. In fact I think some rich people are extremely unhappy. They're trying to fill some void with making more and more miney because that's what they've been told is success and it's just not working. Personally I don't need a lot to be happy, some food, a bed to sleep in that's about it, of course I won't say no to a pc and internet ;). So of course if you're homeless and starving or freezing then money will increase your happiness but if you're talking about someone who's doing ok then no.

Most Helpful Girl

• The answer is YES, money can buy happiness -- but only up to a certain point.

It shouldn't surprise you that tons and tons and tons of studies have been done on this. In fact, by this point, economists have pretty much been able to put a dollar value on the "saturation point" -- that is, the point at which money STOPS buying additional happiness.

I mean, you can google the shit out of this. Just type in "money can buy happiness but only up to a point", and see what google spits out at you.
    www.cnbc.com/.../...iness-but-only-to-a-point.html

Obviously, there's gna be individual variation. And, there can be "habituation effects" -- in other words, people can be spoiled children, and, once they get used to a certain standard of living, teh LACK of money might bring a certain (temporary) LACK of happiness.
    But... yeah.

I mean, these studies shouldn't exactly be surprising.

Because... in other, equally unsurprising news... grinding poverty sucks.

What Guys Said 68

• Money doesn't buy happiness, but happiness often requires money.

For example, I love music. Music brings me happiness. However, instruments and gear and stuff requires money. It isn't free.
    I would say that having more money allows more opportunities for happiness, but it doesn't guarantee it. If you are a billionaire, a lack of funding won't hold you back from accomplishing your dreams. Having a billion+ dollars doesn't mean you'll know what you want in life though. Being poor doesn't keep one from happiness either, yet it may limit some opportunities to achieve it.
    Happiness is an abstract item -- it can't be bought, but happiness is a product of materials and life. Anything from music to love tends to require some cash.

• Yes.
    But only if you earn the money.
    When you earn the money it feels more valuable. You can finally get those things you want for yourself, all those ways you wanted to treat family and friends, and you can pay off bills and debt.
    The amount of happiness you suddenly feel able to allow yourself just because the stress of debts is gone is amazing.
    Also, because you are working for the money, you are not just blowing it on things 24/7, which leads to burn outs. Look at how many trust fund babies are druggie burnouts. They don't have fun, because all they do is party. The novelty wears off, and so does any amusement.
    By having to fulfill responsibilities to get your money, you feel you've earned your money, you feel you've earned everything you spend your money on, and you don't have enough time to bury yourself in those things, so they stay precious, rather than losing their value.

Money is the key to happiness. But only if honestly earned.

• Until you realise you spent so much time earning money that your lonely :(

• It can buy short term hedonistic happiness (like a weak kind of happiness imo). What it can do really well is allow a person to do more of what they want to do which can lead to feeling happy. A person accomplishing that depends on the individual. Lots of people would sit on the couch watching tv and get fat. Many people feel lost and less happy when they don't have an organized structure like a job. People can even be fairly happy in a place like prison. Happiness is a complicated topic. Technically happiness is an emotion that is fleeting. No one is actually an emotion. I think fulfilled is a better description. If a person is very poor they will likely have a lot of stress from financial problems which can hinder happiness. Well all know that having a place to live and enough basic things like food is important. Excess money hasn't shown to make most people extremely happy though. The data I've seen actually showed that very rich people tend to be less happy. Maybe they tend to work a lot or they tend to not have much purpose if they don't have much responsibility.

• It can't even buy one a proper bowel movement!

• No but it sure can make you comfortable

• You can find happiness within yourself with money through joy and fulfillment. But it's not the only option and money doesn't always lead to happiness. Jim Carrey said something like "I wish everyone could have tons of money and everything they ever wanted so they could see it's not the answer." That really stuck with me.

• It can help you attain happiness, where are you going to go to meet people? How are you going to learn anything, not just in school, but other interests. Who's going to love somebody with no money? << basically nobody.. Who is going to let you travel without money? No one

It can buy your way into happiness, but it isn't the be all end all. Like those shitty business people who just work in a big business with no real reason to care about what the business is for. Or people who open a business that is popular right now, such as hot yoga places or certain restaraunt. Here are definitely people who might be passionate About the business, but there are likely more who do it because of the money they think they will make, like if so. ebody opens a Starbucks or a McDonald's or something.

• Money can buy satisfaction and contentment and pleasure but it can't buy happiness.

• Does this guy look sad to you?
    http://i.imgur.com/ORg2Hxa.jpg

• Poor people say money doesn't buy happiness
    Ugly people say beauty is all on the inside
    Grass is green
    Sky is blue

lol 75% jk on this one
    ya it kinda does, not entirely tho ofc

• Yes and no. Let's separate happiness in 4 subjects: Pleasure, Lust, Love, and Joy
    • Pleasure is comfort, entertainment, and satisfaction. Objects like clothing, games, and food can all be bought.
    • Lust is urging for sexual satisfaction. Some things like sex toys can be bought, but the desire itself can only be truly satisfied with direct sexual intercourse. (You can pay people to do this with you, however.)
    • Love and friendship cannot be bought, though giving may increase this. Money can be used for giving to increase love, but not obtain it.
    • Joy is something we find in God - perfect love. The happiness we get when we feel His love can only be received through Him.

• That's a good question Apple!
    In Belgium we usually say "money won't make you happy... but it's so easy :D "!
    So I guess the answer is no. Since with money you could as well loose family members, get the wrong girl or guy, or become ill :-(
    I think that with money your chances of walking into the wrong crush are even larger :o

• Nope... I am not into the whole consumerism thing. I have what I need, I buy decent stuff so it lasts, but I just need the basics. I like to splurge once in awhile but that is about it.

I would take love over money any day of the week. Who cares if you have a crapload a money, if you have no one to share with in life.

• to me money is happiness since i can buy loads of games

• No, it can't, but that's not to say that we don't need some money. We need money for necessities and occasional pleasures.

• Fake happiness sure but true happiness is something that can't be bought with all the wealth in the world which is often here today and gone tomorrow, temporary.

• No. I make good money as an engineer and while it can buy me "toys" (cars, boats, trips, etc.), it doesn't necessarily make me happy. I was actually happier as a poor college student working with others in a part time job who were more social after work then some of the people I meet today.

• Ask the starving African children.
    Yes of course it can, saying it cannot is retarded.
    Obviously it isn't gonna make you happy if you are unhappy because your crush doesn't like you back but if your happiness lies in having food to eat or bed to sleep on or not having to work a minimum wage job you hate then of course it is going to buy you happiness.
    And there is more things money can buy you than they cannot, easy math.

• No, money cannot buy happiness.
    What money does buy is opportunity.
    Happiness has to come from within yourself, with or without money.
    Case in point... how many rich people are unhappy, sad, depressed, lonely? They have all the toys, fine homes, boats, etc. Why no happy?
    How many poor people are happy? They don't got squat, but they are happy.
    It comes from within.
    Still I will take the money when it comes to me.

• It can buy moments of happiness, but not happiness itself.

• 1|0
    • "I've been poor, and I've been rich, and if anyone should ask me which is better: rich is better."

• Nah but it can buy you great stuff.. ;)

• of course it can. money can buy anything.

• Yes, but only for a short time. Money can be your best friend or worst enemy, and everything in-between..

• Pretty much, yeah. You can buy a bunch of things that can make you happy.

• If happiness is conditional and not from deep inside, money will not help. Another words, if you are a happy person in general, you will be happy when you end up w/ a lot of money. Otherwise, if you are not a happy person now, you won't be happy when you end up w a lot of money.

• To me money buys happiness but it doesn't buy satisfaction, because it can buy you a dinner in Paris but not necessarily you will be happy about it

• Money doesn't buy happiness. But it does facilitate a more easier and more accessible means to achieve happiness.

• No. However it can buy material possessions which can bring happiness temporarily

• Maybe.. to an extent.
    Depends on the person and what it is that the person is looking for

• More from Guys
    38

What Girls Said 25

• Money + good culture will give you everything.
    Money - good culture will end in you losing the money of your ancestors.
    Good culture + good upbringing + talent will end in prosperity.
    Bad culture + talent will make you constantly lose the thousands of dollars you make.

It is culture, intelligence, and prosperity that will give you everything. And they all mutually feed and help each other.

Money alone is the value of our time and energy. It is amazing to have it but without a culture and intelligence to keep it, having it will be short termed and can be very harmful, leading you to a greater unhappiness.

It is in fact nature and the Market correcting itself, telling you that the only people that are deserving to permanently have large amounts of money and with it power in the society are the intelligent, self-controlling, cultured people.

And that is why if you aren't one of them, even if you get rich for a period of time, you will lose it. If your father is a millionaire and you aren't at least as intelligent as him you will lose his wealth. If you are as intelligent and more talented, you will expand his business and add to your prosperity.

That is why as your society is getting less intelligent your upper class is shrinking, and a group of very conservative intelligent wealthy people are taking full control.

And yes having all these three together: intelligence, culture, and prosperity, will end in happiness. It defies logic if it doesn't.

• what if you aren't born into money. And your parents are lower class? And its most likely I'll end up like my parents. Those who are rich stay with rich. Those who are lower class stay with lower class. Its more likely to die with my parents wealth than succeded in life. Or thats what my teacher said.

• hope it helped and didn't confuse you.

• it can buy you material happiness, because that is the limit of money. anything else, no it cannot.

• It could buy my dream house and car, so thats a start. But I'd have to work hard (without the use of money) to get my future love :)

• It can make your life better but that doesn't mean it can make you happy, look at some famous actors, they even can be comedians and can have millions... Yet, they end up committing suicide.. Even with the smallest things you can make yourself happy, money can just add to the happiness depending on how you use it

• It can buy material happiness, which for some people is enough. If you earn the money yourself and buy something you've always wanted, then yes, it can.

• Nope since that is only an internal thing. If your not happy internally. Then you won't ever be truly happy.

If anything money can help make life less stressful. Though that depends on how much you have. Since having to much money can make most people paranoid.

• Money can buy many things. But it cannot buy hapinness alone. Hapinness is a kinda related with so many different things.
    You can be poor but you can be happiest person. It depends the way you look at your life.

• nah, it can't. But it can get you great things, like flight tickets lol

• Of the people I know who have been rich and poor, they say rich is better.

• Yes but not entirely!!!

• My happiness is having time.. Can I really buy time?

• it can buy you things that make you happy. it can make you feel safe and taken care of.

• It most definitely can

• Everyone that says money can't buy you happiness, please transfer you extra saved money into my parents bank account. Thank you in advance 😂😭💀

• Money can buy you temporary happiness. Love can buy you eternal happiness.

• It can't buy hapiness, but it can buy some stuff that makes you happy.

• Yes. Having lots of money would free me of having to stress over financial problems and spend more time with my loved ones instead.

• I think not. Then I would rather be rich & unhappy then poor & unhappy.

• It sure can

• It can buy lots of things but not my happiness.

• Money=Chocolate=Love=Happiness
    So kinda, yeah

• nope, I have everything I want and I mean EVERYTHING. Still not happy...

• No
    Money is a means to purchase goods and services.
    Happiness is an emotional state.

• fuck no 😂😂😂

• I think only for a period of time