When someone close to you constantly treats you bad, do you see it as their fault for being an asshole, or your fault for accepting the treatment?

Most Helpful Girl

• It is both. But since I have come out of an (emotionally) abusive relationship, I know that something like this can come slowly. The abuse creeps is, in such small doses that it can be overlooked. During that time, in my opinion, the fault is with the abuser.
    BUT as soon as the "weaker" party is aware of it, the person must get out of the relationship. If he/she doesn't, then it is their own fault.
    This could mean any relationship. It doesn't have to be a romantic one.

What Girls Said 4

• When we allow certain behaviours it's possible for them to continue on. Which in turn makes you both assholes in your own way.

• If it has been going on for a long time then they have you bullied. They are being evil but the onus is on you to grow a pair and put your foot down.

• I think it falls a little more on the person accepting the treatment. That doesn't excuse anyone for treating anyone bad though. But at some point you have to take responsibility for your own actions and for the fact that you continue to stay with someone who doesn't treat you well. You're more responsible for your own happiness than anyone else ever will be.

• Their fault I guess but I also realized that they will keep on being like that if you let them.

• Agree, it is on them for being disrespectful but also on you to tell them to cut the crap

What Guys Said 1

• Both.