I feel embarrassed that I need to go to therapy for my depression and panic attacks?

I feel ashamed that i can't cope myself. will people look down on me? :(

has anyone here had depression or panic attacks before?

Please could i get advice and input from -

@victorianne

@paris13

@bearsanswers

@dogbert444

thank you in advance

Thank you for all of your support,

Most Helpful Guy

• I have had depression, very very serious depression. I still deal with both depression and panic attacks, though they are way more under control than they were in my mid-20s. 25 was my low point, in terms of mental health. As part of the healing and recovery process I totally rebuilt myself though, which is actually one of the reasons I am active on this site - to try and help others who may feel like they need a hand up, they way I did... a bit of ho to climb out of a deep pit that feels overwhelming and insurmountable.

What you need to understand is that the brain is an incredibly complex biochemical computer, and it has issues ALL the time. Hardly anyone's is actually working perfectly at any given time, they just all tend to have slightly different issues. Too much of this causes one thing, too much of that causes another, too little of this causes yet another. Some issues are less disruptive than others, but that's mostly just the luck of the draw.

If the engine of your car is making a weird clanging sound, you take it to a mechanic. If your brain is out of chemical balance, you talk to a therapist. There isn't anything more shameful about it than taking your car to a mechanic. It's what you do to fix the problem. And the problem is not your fault, it just happens, so there is no point feeling any sense of blame for it. You can't control some of the issues that develop with your brain, so you can't be responsible for them developing. What you are responsible for is taking steps to fix the problem once you identify it. You should feel bad if you know you have issues and dot take any steps to try and address them. Going to therapy, asking for help, trying to understand the problem... those are all supportive steps, steps to address the issue. That's the correct, appropriate thing to do.

Do not feel badly for taking your car into the shop.

What Guys Said 11

• There is no reason for you to be embarrassed. You are dealing with a problem. Not dealing with it would be something to be embarrassed about. Besides, you only tell your VERY close trusted friends that you are going to therapy. No one else needs to know.

• I suffered terrible anxiety and panic attacks, I got hypnotherapy for it, and it cured me, no more panic attacks for me. If you suffer terrible panic attacks, that also be the cause of your depression. If you are going to get hypnotherapy, make sure its something that it is good, otherwise it might not work.

The best therapy for panic attacks and depression is CBT.

• I think you need to not worry about what people 'might' think about your therapy and think more about how you will be when you are done with the therapy. Don't be ashamed that you have panic attacks and depression, look for a way to get rid of those issues so you can function normally and enjoy life more.
    I did 2 years of therapy, for other reasons. And I do tell people if I feel like it. But otherwise, I am glad I did, it did help, and all is good.
    Don't be so hard on yourself and look forward to the new you.

• There's nothing to be embarrassed about, it takes a lot of courage to recognize the problem and seek help. I really don't see anyone looking down on someone trying to better themselves.

• People won't look down on you, or at least they shouldn't. Therapy is a good thing, and everyone should try it, whether they have panic attacks or not.

• Don't be ashamed. Getting help for depression and panic attacks is extremely important. Nobody will look down on you. The most important thing is getting the help you need.

I've been seeing a counselor for the better part of a year, he's helped me immensely. I can't recommend it enough.

• There's no shame in seeking help for a mental illness any more than there is for seeking help with a physical illness.

• People are naturally social. Its natural to need help for our social constructs, including both physocal nad emotional therapy

People only look down on you if you use it as a crutch. Otherwise, its just backstory

• no professional should. It's. understandable. to feel embarrassed. but the panic attacks are worse than the embarrassment that you believe you'll face.

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 6

• I have an anxiety disorder so I have suffered from all of those things for the entirety of my life. No one judges you and you have no reason to be ashamed. If you can't cope with it, it's for a reason. It isn't because you're "broken" or "weak." Besides, you don't have to broadcast that you go to therapy, I never told anybody and everything I said was confidential between my therapist and I. I just encourage you to be as honest as possible because they are professionals who are there to help you, not judge you.

• There is No Need to feel Embarrassed here, dear, for Needing Something Special because Of... Depression and Anxiety, @Vanilla-Truffle.
    This Mental issue runs in my family and with Going down a rough patch with them, I also stuck by their Side as they All took the Ride to the Doctor's to get some Much Needed meds.
    Of course, a Doctor, a Good One at that, Goes hand in hand with the Medicine, and when you find Both, I promise you will Not have any Red faced Regrets once you Get... Back on the right Track.
    Good luck and blessings. xxoo

• I am going to therapy!

• Yay, therapy works wonders <3 <3 <3

• @Paris13 Last time it was just paper work etc. lol I am recieving free thearpy since I have no income. etc. so yeah

• Oh, yes, okay, and happy to have been able to direct you this way, @apple24, recall now. xxoo

• Just to let you know I had a call from @dogbert444. He replied privately.

• Xanax ♡

1 private opinion(s)