Why are people so hard on teen parents?

1|0
11|17

Most Helpful Guy

• One thing I've realized about people, a lot of them really find satisfaction in pointing out mistakes and shortcomings of others. I think throwing stones just makes them feel better about their own faults. People really love to feel "better" than others.

4|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Not sure. I used to be, but realized people make mistakes. And if it wasn't a mistake, people make their own decisions and they don't involve me.

Everyone loves to have an input on someone elses life like they matter.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 16

• Because they turned their back on what their parents tried to instill in them. They acted selfishly, and believed the lie that consent of the two parties bumping parts together alone automatically justifies the deed. Then, went into the task of parenting unprepared, emotionally or financially. They rebelled against what was right, and it will now be someone else's money that pays for it all.

And while condoms have a 41% practical failure rate, there's this assumption the kids "must not have used protection." Except, a thin piece of plastic does not justify it, even if it were 100% reliable. It is a false moral paradigm, erected to shield from facing real morality, with which many would be unable to face themselves.

Also, the kids had a kid, so they "got caught." And the consequences of getting caught... they change you. It's the same as if two kids both smoke dope, and one gets caught by cops and the other doesn't. The one who didn't get caught is a hypocrite for avoiding the one who got caught.

Yet, there's a stigma that the one who got caught is somehow gonna come out a worse individual, and irrational fear then governs the actions of the kid who didn't get caught.

And then, third parties inherit that mentality, especially amongst the immature. Such that, the one who didn't get caught can still make friends. But the other kids see the one who got caught as a personal liability. "With his bad luck, we'll all get taken down!"

Human nature at its most cowardly and cruel.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they weren't hard on themselves when they got pregnant.
    Most don't even know how to take care of themselves, imagine taking care of a newborn kid...

2|0
    0|0
    • True, there are so many health risks for babies that many people will never acknowledge

• because most of them get pregnant on stupid decisions, rather than wanting to get pregnant. also, the fact that you kinda threw your life opportunities away like going to college because you got pregnant... at least in the immediate moment. most teen parents can't afford a kid on their own.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because they had unprotected sex while disregarding the financial requirements of actually raising a child. It's just very irresponsible, and potentially ruins the life of the child.

1|1
    0|0
    • I agree. I don't condone teens who get pregnant multiple times in their teen years knowing they aren't financially stable and they just want a baby just to have one or to keep their teenage boyfriend who's full of hormones who just wants to hit it and quit it but they still have babies knowing it's easy to get on welfare but let's be honest, this happens to teens because most teens think they know everything or it just won't happen to them. How would you educate your kids about it?

• Teach them about sex, the consequences of sex, and birth control options. That's what Europe does and it works fairly well, none of that "abstinence" nonsense

• teen parents are effing up their life and future.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because there is no way they can't have known what could happen and have taken steps to prevent it, and no matter how much they shout, they are NOT ready.

0|0
    0|0
  • because society doesn't see it as the norm... we're used to discriminating new things until a law is put into place protecting them...

0|0
    0|0
  • People should wait until they can financially (ie NOT THE GOVERNMENT OR GRANDPARENTS) take care of kids before they have them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most likely because of them being reckless and not using protection. Most teen/young parents I've met are the last people who should be having kids. If you can't afford to provide for yourself, let alone a kid then you shouldn't have one.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why the hell do people care. The way i see it, im not the one feeding their kids or babysitting them so why would i care. Just mind your own damn business jesus lol.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they're idiots. They either fucked without protection, or willingly decided to have a kid instead of being a normal human being and going to college.

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't thinkn it's so bad to make a different choice instead of being tens of thousands in debt after college. At least the teen parents' money will go towards helping someone.

• Because they were stupid enough to conceive before they were ready and self sufficient.

0|0
    0|0
    • It's possible for a teen to be self sufficient and ready

• well i think their a bit silly for having a kid at a young age without expereincing other things but minus that its their choice

0|0
    0|0
  • They made bad choices and are irresponsible.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they think it's abnormal for girls to get pregnant while they're still young and more likely to have healthy children.

0|0
    0|0
  • Please tell me it's not half black.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 10

• I think so many people are so hard on teen parents because at this point in time in this day and age, there are plenty of former teen parents who have opened up about their incredible struggle so there's no excuse to end up in that situation. All moral opinions put aside: Cutting your youth short to raise a child with funds that you do not possess is foolish. So many young men and women have shared their stories and kept it real about just how foolish, challenging, incredibly exhausting, and highly limiting it is. Not only does it make things hard on the teen parent, but it can deprive the child of some pretty wonderful childhood experiences because their parent was not ready to take on the parenting role and mentally/financially equipped to build framework for their life.

1|0
    0|0
  • They probably assume things. In a lot of situations, the girl was raped or felt pressured. Being hard on them isn't going to help of course. If people wanted to get their point across then they should educate instead of insulting.

1|0
    0|0
  • I wish they would just leave me alone lol! hahah! (: I dunno life sucks but!

0|0
    0|0
  • It's likely your bad attitude.

0|0
    0|0
    • That doesn't make any sense...

• Because it's an automatic thing you can be insulted for. They're just using the teens to vent.

1|0
    0|0
  • They made stupid choices

0|1
    0|0
  • Because they've been really silly. While the baby shouldn't be called a mistake as such, the teenager has made a mistake. All teens (and adults) make mistakes, teen years are your dumbest years, some mistakes and decisions are just bigger and have a bigger impact than others.

0|0
    0|0
  • Teens are expected to excel and make wise decisions like go to college or go to trade school or just be on a "good" path. So when a teenager gets pregnant it is frowned upon because there are so many great opportunistic for them to excel and they've chosen a more difficult path for their lives.

0|0
    0|0
  • White

0|0
    0|0
  • They're assholes. It's just a silly mistake and teenagers shouldn't be punished for it.

1|0
    0|0
    • I agree. People just like to judge anyone who isn't as successful as they are