MORAL DILEMMA: What would you do?

Scenario:

Your wife /husband is terminally ill , and is in constant and permanent pain and agony. S/he could live for a number of years with the illness. Finally, one day, they decide that they really want to die. However, his/her condition is such that they cannot die on their own. S/he is begging and pleading with you to help him/her to commit suicide. This would, of course, be illegal.

What would you do?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it is terrible that assisted suicide is illegal in a lot of places - If I felt that all the possibilities were explored and they still wanted to do it, I would support it - I would investigate the possibility of going to a country where I believe it is legal - I maybe wrong but I believe that it is legal in Switzerland and The Netherlands - There was a case in Ireland that has heightened the focus on the issue and there are moves by some politicians to introduce "Right to Die" legislation.
    It falls into the moral quagmire that it must strictly controlled though with medical and psychiatric approval to prevent any abuse of system such as ageism or discrimination against handicapped people.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would Not.. Have the Heatr to Part Nor to Try with my Guy.
    My Conscience would get the Best from the Rest of me, @Victorianne, and what My own Lord and Savior would Say to me That Day.
    Good luck and Great Question. xx

What Guys Said 9

• Luckily, I live in Switzerland, the only country in the world where active assisted suicide is legal. We have two institutions that offer this "service". Of course you first have to be thoroughly checked by a psychiatrist but if he comes to the conclusion that your intentions are honest and permanent (not just a temporary thing that will go away in a few days), there's no legal boundary that could stop you. In fact, one of my best friend's grandpa had cancer and he chose to die this way. My friend told me it was a very nice way to say goodbye even if the circumstances were of course sad. Usually the person who wants to commit suicide is given a poisonous beverage that kills you without pain within a few minutes (you just become sleepy and lie down. You've got a few minutes to say some last words and then you fall asleep/die) by a certified doctor. If the person who wants to die has close family members and he/she wants them to be present, they may be present too. It's all in all a very peaceful and "happy" death, which is why almost all of the people who experienced it with a family member or close friend support it (and many other people too of course).

• It is funny how it is no problem to put a suffering animal down when needed, but we let humans suffer needlessly when they are hurting. I would try something, but I would not let myself commit a crime doing it.

• no. i'm not going to jail for assisted suicide. i'd take my wife to a state wtih legal assisted suicide and she could consult with one of those doctors to determine if she is truly a candidate. then we'd talk about our options.

• yes i would out of love for her and for her wishes. i would find a way to live with what i did. but i think it would be harder to see her suffer and keep asking. even if that ment life in prison or death my self.

• No dilemma. Id help them.

• Take them to Switzerland where it is legal.

• For the person I love,
    I would probably murder-suicide.
    I'd kiss her, tell her to close her eyes and that I'll see her soon.
    Two rounds in her head and one to the back of mine

• I cannot do it. ;-; Beg her to stay probably.

• It's legal in a few states and a single county in New Mexico, but yeah, of course I would. It ought to be legal across the country, but religious morons prevent that.

What Girls Said 2

• Fly with him to Switzerland.

• Contacting the hospital for euthanization