Would you rather an old Mercedes or a brand new Hyundai?

Late 80's - mid 90's model benz. Classic and known to be reliable but its old and has none of the mod cons which are standard these days and shit is just going to keep going wrong with it until it can no longer be fixed for less than the cost of a better second hand car.

Or:

Brand new Hyundai i40. Looks fucking weird and is the cheapest shit car brand on the market. Crap compared to its competitors but compared with the old mercedes it has its brand newness on its side, it won't break down any time soon, has all the mod cons like built in sat nav etc. Its just that its a hyundai...

So which one would you have out of these two?

• Old Mercedes
  • New Hyundai

Most Helpful Girl

• Probably mercedes... a cheap plastic hyundai is not worth much

• It is until you drive it off the lot. I think they're around 45,000

• Not really, they have some plastic parts built on the exterior

• The car engine isn't going to last as good as a mazda (30+ years) or toyota (20 years)

Most Helpful Guy

• Old Mercedes, most likely. No worse investment than a brand new car. You lose thousands the moment you drive it off the lot. Just depends on the condition of the older Mercedes and whether you think the maintenance costs will outweigh the automatic depreciation of the new car. Also, I don't think Hyundais have great resale value either. I guess there are variables involved, but as a general rule, I'll always avoid buying a brand new car, unless I was wildly rich and the depreciation would be a relative drop in the bucket.

• Looks like someone else says the Hyundai DOES retain its value, so I may be wrong about that. That's what the whole decision hinges on for me. If we're talking practicality for your situation, I'd look into a newer used car. I think Mercedes can be expensive to maintain and with an older car you're basically just waiting for it to break. I'd find something used under 100,000 miles.

• Hyundai's have pathetic resale value. There aren't any Hyundai enthusiasts as far as I know.
      An old dihatsu charade even goes for more

• I already have a car and it's fine, I'm just asking this for fun

What Girls Said 2

• New Hyundai of course

• New Hyundai. I was just looking at a dealer new me this morning.

What Guys Said 9

• Hyundai has several JD Power Awards and retains its value more than any other car brand. The new features are a huge bonus, since my 2011 Ford Fusion SEL is already falling behind because of limited integration for smartphone use.

Not buying the "fucking weird looking and is the cheapest shit car brand on the market" description.

We have bought into the marketing machine in the US. Mercedes-Benz is not even that prestigious in Germany.

• Are you saying the Hyundai doesn't look weird?

• If Mercedes made the same model design and positioned it as luxury while targeting A-List celebs, your definition of weird would change.

• Most peoples would but mine wouldn't. See one if these things on the road and you'll see what I mean.

• If it is the diesel mercedes and the body is in good condition I would go for it. The motor on those can easily do 300,000-500,000 km.

• A former neighbour of mine had one which had done over 1,000,000kms

• I'm pretty sure she kept it going with running repairs now and then

• if it is just the standard consumables then no biggie, if it is motor related etc., then those vehicles can get relatively expensive for parts. Some of them can be rare to find too... depending on the year of the vehicle.

• That old car looks beautiful 💕 Just the light grey part ruins it a bit but nothing a paint job can't fix, I'm not into fancy pantsy cars

• A brand new Hyundai

• A little apples to oranges? The Hyundai is £22k brand new and for that I can get a top spec used Mercedes. That Mercedes is £2k at most.

• As a mechanic, neither, since they're both pieces of garbage. I would hate working on either. Being forced to choose, the Benz as its older and simpler.

• OK thanks for answering. So as a mechanic, what's a good car brand to go for these days that doesn't usually have problems? Is it still Toyota? I'm thinking of getting rid of my car and getting a new one.

• We don't get many American cars here. We can get the jeeps, fords and the Chryslers but that's it I think. Holdens aren't very reliable, they tend to have overheating problems.

• The Chrysler Jeeps I mean.

• Funny you ask this.

My brother has an older AMG Mercedes that he's trying to sell, and we still went out and bought a brand new Hyundai for our parents.

• no thanks, neither. I like my Jeep

• The Merc neefs a lot of up keep even if reliable its still thirty years old.