Do Brits in general like to be called European?

Do they love it, or hate it, or don't care? Or does it vary from place to place? A lot of Brits seem to hate the EU. I don't know if that's just a hate for a governmental entity, or if it transfers over to the cultural identity. If you are from there, I'm more asking about a consensus that you could observe, not just your opinion.

• Most love it
  • Most hate it
  • It varies from place to place
  • Most don't care

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm from Scotland but I'd rather be called British than European but I don't mind

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not British but I just want to say that you shouldn't confuse the EU (which is, in essence, an economic union) with Europe as a geographic and cultural region. I'm from Switzerland. We're not part of the EU and very few Swiss people want to be part of the EU but I (and many other people here) are still proud or happy to be Europeans in a historical and cultural sense.

• I'm not confusing them. But there does seem to be some hatred towards the EU from the UK. A large part of the EU, man of its proponents to strive for the EU, or something related to it, to unify all of Europe, not just with a currency and trade deals. I'm an outsider, but from my perspective, if Europe was to unify into a mass superpower, it would help keep other powers. That might be positive, in the long run.

• Americans don't need to destroy each other financially, because they do it even harder, politically. The right and left hate each other at a level that would make a European blush. Celebrating holiday is just ritual, it's not any sort of policy. People do these things because they were born into them. The same applies to Europeans and their mentalities towards each other.

Of course the circumstances in the US are not exactly the same as Europe and the EU, but if you believe the US is one monolithic culture, you are not correct. There are at least 4 or 5 major sub-cultures in the US, vaguely aligned by one of two political sides. There are plenty of people in the US that would be ideologically in favor of their state seceding from the US, even if most of them realize it would do more harm than good, even by their myopic logic.

Those two sides, vaguely represented by two political parties, right now we are witnessing the deterioration of unity in even inside each of those.

• And as far as the financial aspects of disunity, Americans get equally screwed by banksters, but the silver lining is that there is a potential to unite against it. Germany, and other Euro countries, got saddled with Greek debt, and they have less of a chance of fighting against those sort of practices as individual movements, than if they were all united.

And one nation feeling exploited while others leeched on, the same applies in the US. The right wing, deep south states have a religious level of zealotry in believing that lazy "others" are taking their money, while ironically, most of them take more federal money than they put in. It might not be in the same scope as Europe, because the federal government mitigates the reality of spreading out resources, but the perception feels essentially the same.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 8

• They want to be called English, or Scottish, or Welsh, or Manx, or...

And then even further denominated down to their county, city and street.

Europe is full of foreigners and Eurocrats who want to destroy everything that's great about being British.

• I'm British and I am European. Also, for those who don't say they are European, whether they leave or stay in the EU they will always be part of the European continent and that's that. Leaving the EU will not change physical geography.

(Unless the continents shift again...)

• whether they like it or not, they're still european. also, the eu is not Europe. the eu is a economic pact. there are many countries in Europe that aren't in the european, such as switzerland and they are european.

• As an Englishman I'd rather be called european than British. UK can go suck one!

• Then the people I have talked to are not a good representation of the British. I knew a Welsh guy that loathed the EU, like it was the nazis or something. Maybe that sort of thing has died down since the frenzy of the Bush/Blair days. These days, someone like Corbyn is a more popular than Blair, I guess?

• No - I used to be lib dems, but now I kind of feel like I slip through the cracks of politics. England needs a progressive, sensible left of center party which isn't populated with feminazis, loons, trade unions or 'special advisers' but who is genuinely interested in building a fair, functioning society where people who work full time can do more than just scrape out an existance from their minimum wage salary.

Kind of what the Lib dems were when they actually stood for something.

• I guess it's the same in a lot of places. No representatives of the people end up getting power.

• sure yeah i have no real problems with that

• Not a Brit... but I hate being called a European... most rotten continent ever...

• I actually don't think they're counted as EU since they're not a part of the European Union.

Now as for being called European I don't think they generally fancy that one either but it might be a split.
    Being Swedish I prefer being called that or Scandinavian or even Nordic. Can't say it would annoy me at all if someone called me European, but if we're speaking preference, there it is.

• It's pedantry. They have some stake in it, either way.

• Giving me the veto on which groceries you shop does not actually make me a part of your household even if I in some regards hold similar influence.

Can't say I agree with your idea of it at all.

• Speaking as an Englishman I'd rather be called English.

• Is that your real age? Maybe it's a generational thing. All the anti EU guys from the UK I have known were older guys.

• My age is correct. I'm not Anti-EU by any means, I hope we stay in and make it better. I'm just a little sad that we're losing our national identity.