What do you think Genocide happens?

Just re-watched Schindler's List, and damn i am emotionally drained by it. Really gets at ne.

Just makes me wonder why does genocide happen? I read and watch debates on this, but im curious as to what you think. In your opinion now

Most Helpful Girl

• Well I'm sure you're familiar with the Milgrim Experiments so there's one theory. That we are all just following orders. There was a movie recently put out about the Milgrim Experiments with Winona Ryder.

but we don't have to look that far to see how something like this gets started and plays out. We have our very own demagogue fascists who proudly associates himself with the likes of Musilini and Hitler. Who exploited the Paris Attacks for his own victory. I'm not going to say Trump is on his way to lead genocide or open internment camps but as he says, he could shoot someone on the streets in New York and people would still love him and do what he says.

I'm saying if indeed his agenda was to imprison every Muslim in America or worse he could do it. The only thing that might stand in his way is the Supreme Court but they wouldn't. They wouldn't allow themselves to end up in a situation of having to hear a case on it. They would stay out of it and the American people half would cheer and cry for more blood and the others would just quietly do nothing because they know they could be next.

Genocide is unfortunately far too common and something we as humans are easily exploited into by leaders who create a U. S. Versus them scape goat type mentality amongst it's people.

The one thing the Milgrim experiments did get right is that it showed us it isn't that one group of people, the Germans for instance, aren't particularly more violent or sad fistic than any other. We all of an innate predisposition that makes us weak to falling for such group think.

I mean I used to get really upset when black people wanted to hold down the gays and be prejudiced against them because you think of all people a group that has similarly held down would see it was wrong. I get equally upset with Israel's mistreatment of the Palestinians and apartheid state they've created because how can one group of people that just went through this kind of suffering turn around and do the same thing to another group?

But I don't let it bother me as much anymore as I realize it is something all humans uniformly will fall victim to if you can't see through the fog. That doesn't mean I quit advocating for change. I just don't blame the oppressor as much and focus more on the solution.

• Indeed the Milgram experiment (https://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Milgram_experiment ) as well the Stanford Prison experiment ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment ) prove how easy it is to find 'normal citizens' who will consider it normal to torture and kill if an authority tells them to do it, 'just obeying orders'
      Our soldiers too were told to kill Afghans and Iraqis and few objected.
      If in 5 years a guy we know as DT gets full powers and says to kill Muslims and Mexicans many good Americans will obey. " just obeying orders". Good patriots.

• @jacquesvol
      I don't know Zimbardo shouldn't have been directly involved and interacting with the subjects. I always felt there was an element of confirmation bias as a result.

• Thanks I hope today is more cheery for you.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well I didn't watch schindlers list so. . . what happens now. . . ?

Anyway I think its really simple, not knowing one another. You wouldn't really kill someone you know but would you kill a stranger? After all they don't mean anything to you and there is a tag on to the "just following orders"/"just doing my job"

I think this poem sums it up:

Thomas Hardy - The man he killed

Had he and I but met
    By some old ancient inn,
    We should have sat us down to wet
    Right many a nipperkin!

But ranged as infantry,
    And staring face to face,
    I shot at him as he at me,
    And killed him in his place.

I shot him dead because —
    Because he was my foe,
    Just so: my foe of course he was;
    That's clear enough; although

He thought he'd 'list, perhaps,
    Off-hand like — just as I —
    Was out of work — had sold his traps —
    No other reason why.

Yes; quaint and curious war is!
    You shoot a fellow down
    You'd treat if met where any bar is,
    Or help to half-a-crown

The ingredients for genocide are simple, add in a bit of propaganda, a sprinkle of social engineering, take out the alternate viewpoints before they get too hot. Then leave it to boil. Things can more or less happen on their own but as I say don't blame the sheep, blame the shepard

People can be lead to do almost anythin' you want them to do

33.media.tumblr.com/.../...02zJfR1sxcftfo1_400.gif

• I just want to say that I think you made the right choice picking me for MHO, DooMguy is now on 21% only 79% left to go

What Girls Said 9

• I have attended a charity event to raise money for genocide. The main person that was in charged was a female Indian lady who was in her late 20's. (I'm not trying to target an ethnicity here, i'm just talking about what happened in that event). She is very passionate about the increase death rate of baby girls in India.

There was a slide show outlining what happens, there was also an old lady and her husband who has admitted to killing their newborn girls, and she even told us that she would dampen a towel to cover the babies mouth to suffocate it. She showed us a big dirt mountain, which she claimed to be the corpses of all her newborn babies bodies.

There was a fashion show that was held on the day, among finger food and beverages.

The event brought me to tears, that such a thing exist. I did generously donate to the event. I know there is a lot of definitions when it comes to genocide. But with this particular definition, I think culture, a gender outlining superior to another and heartless people do this.

• I think it depends on the Genocide , all the Genocides are not the same
    1) The Holocaust against the Jews -> Religious/Ethnicity/ Political
    2) The Genocide against native Australians-> To take over their territory (Greed)
    3) The Genocide against Native Americans -> To Take over their Territory (Greed)
    4) The Genocide against Armenians-> Political maybe ethnic/religious as-well (I think)
    5) The Genocide against Myanmar Muslims -> Religious/Ethnic
    5) The Genocide in Rwanda -> Political and maybe Ethnic ( I think)
    ...
    Anyways, one thing in common: Hate and Ignorance.

• a way to show power, dominance, etc
    it's mainly because 2 groups hate each other, so they don't give a damn about killing
    it's all about controlling and showing who's the boss
    lack of empathy, intolerance, ignorance... maybe in their heads at that time was a way of "protection", I do not support genocide or anything that happened in the holocaust, but they used to see Jews as scum, who knows.. maybe dangerous too
    they also got lot of benefits from that, they created medicines and many other things.

so, happens because of intolerance, craziness, hate, ignorance, lack of empathy, protection, because they can get benefits from it: lands, money, power, control. It's also a way to keep people in line and make them fear you.

• http://i64.tinypic.com/15gtngw.jpg

Because most people are too scared or selfish to defend others in times of need. We tolerate intolerance and hate. We tell ourselves "if it isn't affecting me it isn't my problem".

• Yep I posted a my take on the poem 'At first they came' For the Jews but I didn't speak out because I was not a Jew, then they come for, then they came for... When they finally came for me there was no one else to speak out for me.

• @sjoes006 I know and love that poem. So very true!

• Thanks for you comments and I agree with your last post to Jacque. I think we are all silent at times when we know something is wrong because yes there are tangible results of speaking out.

I mean as I've gotten older I try to do a mock cost benefit analysis before I open my mouth about something. Mainly I ask myself what's the max benefit from doing so and what's the max it will cost me. But the bigger the wrong the more likely I am to take the real risk of speaking out.

Basically if one group of people is being systematically tackled be it teachers, Nationals, or religious belief... Whatever it is at some point I decide enough is enough. Sometimes I'm willing to take on a 20/ 60% ratio where the costs of me speaking out are three times the benefit of me having done so.

I think actually the bigger statement is just not following the unfair guides of controlling govt. 'Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a leave role in s cage'.

• Never heard of Schindler's List.

It normally tends to happen when someone feels like a certain group is in the way. You never know when one group will be targeted to be removed. So they end up being able to convince others that the group they want gone should be removed.

• It's a very powerful movie, one of the first that really showed the holocaust in all its brutality and despair. you should watch it sometime

• I better not watch because it never ends well if something emotionally drains me.

• It is a great movie, I saw it when I was 12. My 6th grade teacher wanted to do the topic of the second world war even though that normally happens in seondary school. It really stuck with me for a ong time I had never seen something so terrible.

• Genocide happens when the wrong people gain power and no one stops them.

Yea, that movie is really draining.

• Genocided happen when a group or ethnicity believed that they are superior over another.
    Economic disparity, sociopathic tendency, and a lack of empathy must be present. Fear is the fuel!
    Armenian and Bosnian genocide are other examples.

• greed
    intolerance
    feeling of superiority and authority
    religion
    etc etc

• Because peoples prejudices often enable psychopaths

What Guys Said 25

• Why did you mention me in this question?

I assume that genocide happens whenever there is a society in which various ethnic groups live.

For example one group, I'll call it "A" , starts to feel discontent and starts to believe that they are worse off in this society due to group "B" being wrongfully better off.

Thinking further, "B" is only better off because they have imaginary privileges or actual privileges, imaginary privileges can be summoned up by propaganda for instance. Say, B also happens to be an other race.

Before genocide takes places, there is also the stage of ostracizing the dehumanized group, this way, the willingness to kill these people will increase. It's going to be like getting rid of annoying insects.

Genocide can happen when one group feels worse off and the other one is being dehumanized by propaganda by those who perceive themselves to be superior.

In case of the 3rd Reich, it was based on a legend called "dagger stab legend", which explains why Germany lost WW1. ("Dolchstoßlegende" in German).

After WW1, the German people was poor, struck by a famine, and later, in the 20s, there was a huge economic crisis. Bills were so worthless, Germans used them as toilet paper.
    Then the French stole a huge part of Germany's industrial area which had been responsible for the country's wealth and military power in WW1.
    Germany was no longer allowed to have a real army, it was limited to a few hundred thousand men instead. The treaty of Versailles plunged the German people into "slavery" and into enforced poverty -

All this was the "fault" of the Jews according to the "dagger-stab-legend". This was therefore a "legitimate" reason to persecute the Jews in the 3rd Reich and to kill them later on in concentration camps.

Actually, many Jews fought faithfully and courageously for Germany in World War 1.

• I think it's the tribal mentality that is still in the back of our heads from evolution. It's us against them, they're the evil ones etc. Humans feel good when they belong to a group and they don't want anything to threaten that group. When a leader comes along that says another group is evil and they're trying to harm you in some way then people get angry.
    Especially when they're suffering.
    Anytime the economy of a country is suffering you can see a rise in the extreme right. Like for instance Greece, a neo nazi party has 12% of the vote at the moment that's way more than normal.
    The same happened in Germany the economy was terrible, the national pride was hurt because of WW1 and the Jews were blamed for everything.
    Usually the people don't even see the other side as humans anymore they have become convinced that they're everything that is wrong with the world and they must be destroyed. Some will be downright extatic because they think they're doing the right thing.

Others will not but then you combine that with the obedience experiment that showed about 66 to even 80% of humans (depending on how much peer pressure is added or how much authority the person has etc.) will do something that they don't agree with just because somebody in authority told them to. And once you have accepted the authoity and started doing whatever you have been ordered to do it's even harder (nearly impossible) to break out and stop.

So I think there's a bunch of factors, but it definitely helps to always be on the lookout for these patterns, where someone is trying to blame a group of people for everything that's wrong (usually immigrants). And don't just follow blindly always think critically and be skeptical. I always thought the kids in school that said history was useless and you can't use it for anything in real life were fucking stupid. THIS is exactly why history is important so we can see the mistakes of the past and try to stop them from happening again. Sadly that's often not possible and people still buy into the hatred but at least I won't be one of them.

• In a word hatred. He was somehow convinced it was the jews fault they lost WWI and we're the cause of all of Germany's problems in the aftermath of the armistice. I 100%believe he was demon possesed. In other areas like Bosnia it was so bad instead of calling it genocide they called it ethnic cleansing

• -a civilized society has groups that disagree with it (on religious or political prinicples)
    -some members of this group (e. g. those who are of that religion or political orientation)
    commit crimes or kill people

-some newspapers exaggerate the events to make things look worse (because this will get people to read their papers)
    -some people believe this and then get frightened - they try to deny it and shut people down who talk about it (unintentionally these people make the situation worse)
    -some people blame the other group members for the actions of extremists

People get frightened and blame the entire group for the actions of extremists, even when they have never met these extremists themselves.

Its easier to blame an entire group for the problem than consider that different people within the group may not go as far as other extremists.

It could be jews, communists, the rich, the poor, gypsies, immigrants, muslims, refugees.
    People are stupid and blame everyone within a group rather than taking the time to work out who are the guilty and who are the innocents.

• Hate, fear and demonisation of The Other, no matter how weak they are and how strong you are. e. g. America and its aboriginal natives, Israel and Palestine, anyone versus The Kurds, Ottoman Empire versus Armenians, British empire versus Ireland, Belgium and the Congolese. It's a staggeringly long list.

• Because the rest of the world is too politically correct to do anything about it. Essentially the reason why the West isn't doing a damn thing about the Christians, Yazidis, and Shias who are literally facing genocide across the Middle East as we speak. It is who nobody mentions the illegal occupation of Cyprus or the Ottoman Empire's dozens of genocides and/or attempted genocides against the Greeks, Assyrians, and Armenians. It is why nobody is willing to speak up for the Copts in Egypt even though they are facing extinction.

• Its basically lack of empathy in a form or another the worst genocide was the total wipe out of Aboriginal tasmanians
    "The Tasmanian genocide (fl. 1826-1829) is where Whites from Britain wiped out nearly all the people of Tasmania, then called Van Diemen’s Land, now part of Australia. They sent the few hundred that remained to prison camps where they died of disease and despair. Truganini (pictured), the last full-blooded Tasmanian, died in 1876."
    abagond.wordpress.com/.../

• It's the simplest and most decisive way to conquer a state that previously lived under their own laws. It's cruel but absolute. The other options being occupation, which is resource intensive, oppressive, and generally leads to rebellion as seen with the colonies vs Britain, Iraq vs USA, etc. This leads to heavy handed suppression of revolts which further feed the fire and leave the occupier over extended. This method has toppled many a great empire through attrition... The last being vassalage where you allow the state to maintain its own laws, but charge taxes and establish an oligarchy to keep the state friendly. Simple tactics are simple minded, but they can absolutely work...

• Every once in awhile, someone is born who thinks it would be silly and fun to kill everyone else.

• People think another type of people are the cause of their problems and/or don't deserve to live. Sometimes justified as a pre-emptive attack to stop them before their 'power' becomes too great.

• i think a lot of it has to do with fear, or frustration. when everyone is looking for a scapegoat, sometimes horrible things happen

• Political gain, of course.

Although with the migrants flowing endlessly, I think we'll eventually end up with a civil war.

• it´s pretty easy. you just need a "somewhat" believable bullshit narrative that blames a specific group of people for everything that goes wrong with your country and bobs your uncle.

• Thats enough to motivate people to kill you think? wipe out a whole people?

• no i don´t "think" so, i know. i´m german and that´s all hitler needed. a financial crisis and a bullshit narrative of how it was the jews fault.

• We covered this recently in class. Genocide is incredibly money- consuming to do, there is a lot of work involved and a majority of the time it is out of political gain, rwandan, russian, jewish etcetc...

• 0|0
  • Hate mixed with ignorance.

• It has happened, is happening and will keep happening. Race, religion, territory and what not. As long as all human beings don't equal fundamental and civil rights without any prejudice or hatred, people only need a reason to kill.

• 1. Greed
    2. Authoritarianism /dictators Nazi's, Various communist leaders
    3. People "Knowing too much"

• Why? Personal beliefs, religious beliefs, grabs for power, etc.

• When do you think genocide happens?

• And that is?😂😂😂

• Think of the holocaust, Khmer Rouge. mass killings of people

• Genocide is the intent to systematically eliminate a cultural, ethnic, linguistic, national, racial or religious group. Well-known examples of genocide include the Armenian Genocide, the 1971 Bangladesh genocide, the Cambodian Genocide, the Holocaust, and more recently the Bosnian Genocide, the Kurdish Genocide and the Rwandan Genocide.

• Ahaaa now I understand , so my answer of course I am aganist it that's pretty obvious no-one agrees in that shit

• Racism or religious intolerance usually.

• EVOLUTION THAT'S WHY

• A combination of hate and fear (and the over-reactions to those), plus leaders who are sociopaths and unable to feel empathy (which are legit mental disorders). When people like this gain near-unlimited power, they all-too-often decide that their enemies (real or imagined) have to go.

I doubt people even realize just how common this is. Here's a list from just the last century:

The worst genocides of the 20th Century (160 million killed)
    – Mao Ze-Dong (China, 1958-61 and 1966-69, Tibet 1949-50) 49-78,000,000
    – Jozef Stalin (USSR, 1932-39) 23,000,000 (the purges plus Ukraine’s famine)
    – Adolf Hitler (Germany, 1939-1945) 12,000,000 (concentration camps and civilians WWII)
    – Leopold II of Belgium (Congo, 1886-1908) 8,000,000
    – Hideki Tojo (Japan, 1941-44) 5,000,000 (civilians in WWII)
    – Ismail Enver (Turkey, 1915-20) 1,200,000 Armenians (1915) + 350,000 Greek Pontians and 480,000 Anatolian Greeks (1916-22) + 500,000 Assyrians (1915-20)
    – Pol Pot (Cambodia, 1975-79) 1,700,000
    – Kim Il Sung (North Korea, 1948-94) 1,600,000 (purges and concentration camps)
    – Menghistu (Ethiopia, 1975-78) 1,500,000
    – Yakubu Gowon (Biafra, 1967-1970) 1,000,000
    – Leonid Brezhnev (Afghanistan, 1979-1982) 900,000
    – Jean Kambanda (Rwanda, 1994) 800,000
    – Saddam Hussein (Iran 1980-1990 and Kurdistan 1987-88) 600,000
    – Tito (Yugoslavia, 1945-1987) 570,000
    – Sukarno (Communists 1965-66) 500,000
    – Fumimaro Konoe (Japan, 1937-39) 500,000? (Chinese civilians)
    – Jonas Savimbi (Angola, 1975-2002) 400,000
    – Mullah Omar – Taliban (Afghanistan, 1986-2001) 400,000
    – Idi Amin (Uganda, 1969-1979) 300,000
    – Yahya Khan (Pakistan, 1970-71) 300,000 (Bangladesh)
    – Benito Mussolini (Ethiopia, 1936; Libya, 1934-45; Yugoslavia, WWII) 300,000
    – Mobutu Sese Seko (Zaire, 1965-97) ?
    = Charles Taylor (Liberia, 1989-1996) 220,000

Not exactly heart-warming, right?

• You mean *if it happens