If the Human Genome Project reveals there is no "Gay gene" would your views towards LGBTQ lifestyle differ?

• My views would change
  • my views would stay the same

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• My views would become more conflicted.
    I already accept that people simply are or are not born gay. But if a gene was responsible? Then, while one side would show that it was natural, the other side would claim it was like a genetic disease. It would fuel contention.

What is more? In the next hundred years, I expect gene modification will become a big thing. It will eliminate all sorts of genetic diseases and negative traits. What if parents chose to ensure their children were not born gay? Imagine the backlash!
    But almost as bad? Imagine if parents INSISTED their kids were born gay.

On one hand, we'd have intolerant people treating homosexuality like a disease to be stamped out. On the other, we'd have people who fought to be recognized for who they are and who they choose to be FORCING a sexuality onto their child, something that goes against ethics in general, and current left-leaning ethics of personal determination in particular.

No, whether one is pro-gay in every way, anti-gay in every way, or somewhere in between, I think it would be universally true that the discovery of a gay gene would be a very bad thing.
    But that does not change how I see the LGBT community now.

What Girls Said 8

• I don't think there is a gay gene, I think that the level of testosterone exposure in-utero is a significant determining factor for sexual orientation. But my views on it wouldn't change regardless of the reason. I think people are people, and regardless of what sex they like or what gender they are, they all deserve the same rights and freedoms.

• Who cares? Let people love who they love.
    Live and let live.

• My views would change. If the guy was born normally and has normal hormones, then him being 'gay' would be just against nature, which is not ok. It would just mean that he doesn't have a problem so, why would I still think its fine?

• There is nothing wrong with being gay. Gay people are just like everyone else. Why should people care so much about it? Get over it already! There are gays. I don't hear them complaining about you.

• not really, i dont care if someone is gay. BUT LGBTQ doesn't have anything to do with gay gene, being trans is already proven as gender dysphora and not something biological but learned... sooo.

• my views wouldn't change

• No they wouldn't change because I already know you're not born gay and it's not genetic. It's a choice.

• Nasty straight fucks

What Guys Said 16

• I've done my fair share of research and I'm quite certain that there is no gay gene. It is a combination of various chemical imbalances (i. e. a birth defect).

Do I accept their lifestyle? No
    Am I religious? No I'm an atheist and I strongly dislike the behavioural patterns exhibited by LGBTQ activists.

If they want to do their thing in private, by all means go nuts but don't hold a parade to celebrate their deviant behaviour. Don't use their sexual preferences as a tool to attack religion and force others to accept their lifestyle.

Not everyone is comfortable with what they're doing.

• I voted B... My views wouldn't change. I would still be against homosexuality.

• Well I think homosexuality is caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, NOT genetic. These imbalances may stem from genetics, but I think it's from something that happens while in the womb.

Now, quite obviously Transexualism isn't geneitc nor real.

• No my views would remain the same

• no to me there lifestyle is up to them and you can not choose who you fall in love with , all you know is you love them

• Well isn't it already proven that there are typically some commonaities in DNA of homosexuals? Not like a single gene per say, but just in-general DNA commonaities.

In any case yeah a little bit, but not much.

• Well my views are biased already, as I'm part of the "lifestyle" (think that term is bullshit) so nope. I'll just laugh at it. Think it's funny that they think it's a gene.

• Yes. If it turns out that genetics are not a factor in whether or not an person is gay, I will certainly begin to question whether or not alternate sexualities deserve to be taken seriously.

• Why would it matter? If you love ice cream but you hate pizza and you meet a guy who loves pizza and hates ice cream, are you gonna wonder if that's a genetic thing? Are you not gonna take him serious if he can't proof to you that he is genetically prone to love pizza? He just loves pizza. So what? Why would it even matter? Isn't it good we all like different stuff? Some guys like black chicks or Asians or latinos or whites, why not like other guys? Religious and conservative people in the US love to claim that homosexuality was a choice as though that would somehow make it okay to discriminate against gays. But even if it's a choice - which I'm certain it is not - these people still deserve to be treated as equals.

• Oh and I should also mention that you're actually committing a double fallacy here cuz not only can free decision be based on genuine passion and vice versa but even more importantly and in regard to your original comment: just because something is not genetic doesn't mean it is not based on a biological process. For example researchers from the UK have conducted a large study a few years ago and they found out that when mothers have several children of the same sex, the chance of a child being homosexual increases with every child. So for example if you're the first out of five boys, your chance of being gay is very small whereas for the fifth boy, the chance will be much larger. This has to do with the fact that the mother's hormonal balance is very different in these two situations. If this is indeed the cause (or one of the causes) of homosexuality, you won't be able to pinpoint it genetically. There wouldn't be a gay-gene anywhere - but it would still be a biological process.

• @BlueCoyote You're treating sexual preference like a hobby. That's not how it works.

• No. It only confirms my views.

• don't know if they have found a gay gene, but I read somewhere they have discovered a mutagenic DNA patern that allows them to predict homosexuality with like and 80% success rate

• Hey @gag bring back the dislike button.

• There isn't a gay gene it's part of your brain chemistry, if there was a gay gene Identicle Twins would be gay

• That wouldn't change what I already know. I already know there's no such thing as a homosexual gene.

• I would expect a spectrum... Not just a single gene... Also, a combination of environmental factors like seen in schizophrenia...

• I really don't care

• That could never happen, because there is a gay gene, it's been proven in mice and some insects. Furthermore, existence of gay gene gives a hope to all the humanity, because it means that the scientists will be able to treat this disorder in the future.