Lowering the drinking age to 18?

• LOWER IT TO 18!!! 🎉🎉🎉
  • Noooooo! 👎

Most Helpful Girl

• Such a bad idea. As if high school parties aren't bad enough already with them trying to hide their drinking. This is they way I look at it, the legal drinking age is 21, which is when you are in college, now there are some 21 year olds who will buy alcohol for people underage. Now they draw the line at certain ages because of realizing it would be dumb to give alcohol to kids that are to young, or they are giving it to their younger siblings. Okay, lets say their younger sibling is 4 years younger than them, at 21 that makes the kid 17, now we move the drinking age to 18 and suddenly they can buy alcohol for their 14 year old sibling. That being said most 18 year olds are seniors in high school, which means they go to high school events where most of the kids are under 18, meaning there will be an even higher chance of younger kids drinking since it will be more easily accessible if their classmates can get it legally. Also your brain matures so much more from 18 to 21, at 21 hopefully you will know when to stop, 18 year olds won't.
    Let's just say if they lower the drinking age we will see a lot more people getting caught drinking underage and a lot more alcohol poisoning. It's just a bad idea. Coming from someone underage.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 24

• Please, some 21 year olds aren't even responsible with their alcohol. 18 year olds would be even less responsible. So no. Keep it where it is.

• so when can we legally have sex. irresponsible sex is far more distructive.

• an adult and so there's not really anything to find cool or be proud of when you drink alcohol. It feels and tastes good but more like drinking a cold pepsi on a hot summer day can feel and taste good.

• @BlueCoyote Spring break does get wild. I drove a Harley Davidson into a swimming pool at the Holiday Inn in Daytona Beach many moons ago. Vey stupid I might add. I had consumed a lot of tequila. But if you hold 18 years accountable for virtually all
      of their action, then let them legally by alcoholic beverages and let them consume them.
      Sadly, mosy Americans can't do things in moderation. Why, I don't know.

• I feel like I'm in the minority here, but I say no. Leave it at 21.
    "People can be sent to wars to kill at 18. They can choose our next leader at 18. They can marry at 18. Why not drink?"

Well, another unpopular opinion. I don't think they should be allowed to do that either. Years ago, before I studied about the brain, I would have said "fuck it. Why not?"
    But the brain is still developing. And I don't consider 18yr olds, not even many 21yr olds adults either way.

So hate all you want, but the brain is still developing. And people are dumbasses. So no, leave it at 21.

• It's already 18/19 in Canada. By having the drinking age at 21, the US has created a culture where alcohol is taboo, which makes it all that much more appealing to underage drinkers who are already in college. The US seems to have a big problem with underage drinking and most of it is happening in frats and sororities. And the ones who wait until they're 21 and beyond to drink usually go overboard because they haven't learned to drink responsibly yet. Many people are still under the watchful eyes of Mom and Dad when they're 18, so they're likely not going to get shitfaced. At 21, it's a bit different.

• The drinking age pretty much in all of the rest of the world is 18, so it's about time USA caught up.

It's kind of absurd when you're considered old enough to go to war, kill people and get severe injuries, yet alcohol at 18 is "taking it too far".

• It's also absurd that Kinder surprise eggs are illegal there because the toys are potential choking hazards, yet there's 5 year olds who have access to firearms.

• or just move to australia where it's already 18 :P

• The legal age is 18 in my country and I think it's fine. There will always be people who abuse alcohol regardless of their age.

• Well it was frustrating for me when I used to go to MN and came from the UK at 20 and couldn't drink!! No reason why it can't be 18 like the rest of the world!

• Bad idea. We have enough problems as it is with controlling out intake of literally everything. So many deaths are caused by young and old alike who think they can hold their liquor well enough to take control of a vehicle and it just isn't true. Being 18 versus being 21 is a big difference. Being 18 we are graduating from high school and starting college. What a dangerous and impulsive time in our lives to let the leases off us and set us completely free! Plus the fact that our brains are still developing until we hit the age of 24... don't rush your youth away. Remember this is coming from someone that age and not someone older.

• It's already 18 where I live

• The legal age is 16 here, with an adult to accompany you, and that works pretty well.

• When it was lowered to 18 the first time, the problem was it drunk driving even more problematic because it sky-rocketed mostly because of 18,19,20 year olds drinking and driving. When they raised it to 20 and then 21, drunk driving went down considerably.

I can understand why people would want to lower it to 18, but history shows it to have bad consequences

• It makes sense. You can get live alone, get married, and fight and die for our country at 18. You can also get a card for medical marijuana at 18 in some states. You can be a stripper at 18. You can get a tattoo. Everything but drink.

• nothing changes for me since I can drink at 17 anyways lol

• Well Australia has that. You can drink at the age of 18 😐

• I think 21 is ridiculous to have as a legal age to drink. You can vote at 18 and become an adult then so why can't you make the choice to drink? Here in Canada the legal ages are 18 or 19 depending what province you live in.

• No considering those are not the states that I live in 😒

• If you're old enough to fight in the army, you're old enough to drink alcohol. If you can be drafted by the US army at 18, and possibly die; then you should basically be able to do whatever.

• IT is 18 in Canada :)

• Where I live it is already 18, I don't think it matters because underage people will drink no matter what the legal age is.

• I don't care I live in Denmark and we don't have a legal drinking age.

• 18 in most countries. I don't live in america so i don't care.

• Only if the raise the driving age!
    (16 is RIDUCULOUSLY YOUNG)

18 to Drink
    18 to Drive
    21 to Vote

• Legal drinking age in Canada is 18.
    From my own experience it should be higher say 20.

• I honestly don't care either way, I'm not planning on drinking... well maybe a little wine here and there, but never a lot.

What Guys Said 34

• Yes, I think it should be lowered. The drinking age in my country is 16 and after having lived in the US, I must say that we have way less problems with kids going crazy on the alcohol than in America. Part of the reason for this is that by making things illegal, all you do is make them attractive. It is like that with cannabis and it is like that with alcohol as well. I consider it much smarter to teach teenagers a responsible consumption at an early age instead of making a huge taboo out of it.

My dad is Greek and in Greece, it is perfectly normal to give wine to children, even when they're just 6 or 7 years old. So back when my siblings and I were kids, we sometimes got a small glass of wine for dinner. This kind of upbringing taught us to regard wine (and other alcoholic beverages) as nothing special. It was just a thing you drink for dinner. There was no coolness or attraction involved. I believe that this influenced us a lot and made us into very responsible consumers. Now that I'm an adult, I drink almost no alcohol and when I drink some, it's usually wine.

• I agree! I think introducing small quantities of alcohol to teens is okay. Europeans are much more liberal in that way. They don't treat alcohol as some taboo thing that can only be touched when you reach a magical age. My husband is Serbian and had the same introduction to alcohol when he was younger as you did.

• First, you are referring to the US. The age actually used to be 18 in most states. With the repeal of prohibition, most states set their minimum age to 21 since that was the age of majority at that time. Between 1969 and 1976 30 states lowered that age, most to 18, primarily because the voting age was lowered to 18.

From 1976 to 1983 several states raised their minimum age to 21, mainly because of all the drunk driving and associated deaths. That did cut down on the drunk driving fatalities, and in 1984 congress passed the National Minimum Drinking Age Act which twisted the arms of states to raise the age to 21. By 1988 all states had raised their minimum age to 21. The result was a lowering of drunk driving in general across the nation, and especially a lowering of deaths due to that.

Some states have been talking about lowering the age again, but that would be a big step backwards. If American youth was not so reckless with alcohol, it probably would be lowered. Many countries have lower ages and few problems because their youth are more responsible with their drinking.

• Why are young Americans so much more reckless than young people in other countries? Even in Canada, where our cultures are virtually identical, we don't have such a problem with underage drinking as the US does.

• @musicbrain5 - Partially (at least) is the "magic age" where suddenly alcohol is legal. In some other countries, the age is also set, but alcohol (usually wine) is allowed at family dinners for younger members.

And I do not know how the culture is in other countries, but here we have the "Animal House" culture at the colleges, and high schoolers trying to be the same. Probably many other reasons, also.

• I wrote a paper on this when I was 18 Arguing FOR this... then I got older... and realized, they should probably increase it to 25. or at least keep it 21.
    lowering the drinking age to 18 only increases the number of people that can Legally purchase, but also increases the number of lightweights who think they can handle and then drive after... and cause deaths/accidents/problems... so no... now im against it... and i have the tolerance of the Hulk and drink like a fish.
    --written by a True Alcoholic.

• Legalize marijuana first. Keep the drinking age at 21, alcohol tends to cause more problems and endangers more lives than marijuana.

• I drank the first time when I was 14 and was pretty into it, I didn't drink often but when I did I would go ham :P. Now I rarely drink just a few beers if I meet people or so, it's not really a big thing for me anymore, it used to be more important. I think in general the less you restrict it the more responsible kids will be once they drink.
    If you make it super restrictive kids will only want it more and once they gte it they'll go overboard. If you make it seem like it's not a big deal then it won't be such a big deal. A lot of this is up to the parents aswell of course but I think 21 is way to old, 18 is a lot better.

• It's already 18 and in lot of other countries, US has one of the highest drinking ages.

• Yeah tell me about it! My friends and I just pop down to Cancun or head up to Montreal and were like full fledged adults but then when we come back to California were kids against even though we're 18 and supposedly "adults" 😒

• I think we should eliminate the legal drinking age altogether. It's the responsibility of the parents to raise their children, not the government.

• i don't think it should cause people aren't responsible even at 21 with alcohol, let alone 18, but seeing how easy it is to drink in college (around 18-21/22), there's really no point for it to be 21. it's like a high school test. teachers say don't cheat, but kids do it anyways so what's really the point?

• In most countries it is 18. However, I think 21 is a better age.

• It should be 18. 21 is ridiculous - and it's not like it really stops that many people from drinking before then.

• 18 is ridiculous. I understand the adults and am in no hurry to drink. College kids need to focus on COLLEGE.

• Though I'll be turning 21 in November, I think it should be lowered.

• I dont think it matters that much, nobody really waits until 21 anyways.

• Nah i am perfectly fine with where its at now. I just hit 21 but im beginning to see handing alcohol to teens without wherewithal to use basic logic and reasoning even when sober... is a fuckin baaaaaaad idea.

• You can fight for you country and die at 18 You work and pay taxes at 18. You
    can married without parental consent at 18. To not be allowed to legally drink
    at 18 is ludicrous.

• It is ludicrous for sure. I've never been able to wrap my head around it.

• 18 year olds can legally drink in some areas here and traffic fatalities aren't on the rise. Whoever made that statement was wrong. That's something that comes down to education - educating people about the dangers of driving drunk (and now while high on weed).

• @musicbrain5 You're so right. Back when I drank I did drive afterward. That was wrong.
      I'm going to law school, that's right at 63, and I'm going to practice criminal defense. DUI/DWI is very hard to defend. But if 18 year olds have the same responsibilities and adults, they should have the same rights.

• I think it might help. if they get rid of the thrill they get from doing something illegal they might not want to do it

• While the legal age of drinking here is 16-18 depending on what kind of alcohol, we have a very different mentality here about alcohol. If it would be done in america I wouldn't be surprised if this backfires big time.

• It's 19 here in Canada (18 in some provinces), and we haven't had any trouble yet. If people are taught to drink responsibly (ie: don't drive, don't drink too much etc.) then the stuff really is of no issue. America: Where you can buy a gun, be a parent, drive a car and, die in f*cking battle under 21, yet you can't have a bloody pint.

• In my country it's 16 and that's too young.

• To be honest, I don't think it will make a huge difference to the country. Lots of kids have been drinking underage every weekend for a long time already...

• Are you serious? Even 21 and 25 year olds can't seem to handle their liquor very well. You think 18 year olds can? Phbbbttt!!!

• Well it's already 18 here.

• No it should be to at least 15.

• I just find it hilarious that in America people seem to think they're being rebellious and hardcore because they're drinking at 18 😂 Obvs not all people, but that's the impression I get

• Its is 18 where I live- haha.
    I see no reason for it to be higher.

• Lmao your soooooooo lucky!

• the drinking age is 16 or 18 in my country depending on what it is

• I've been drinking since 15. laws didn't effect me just like it won't

• I'd say raise the draft age to 21. The drinking age should stay where it is.

• seeing as i'm 19 it wouldn't make too much difference for me xD

• It should be raised to 30 lol

• More from Guys
    4