Hillary Clinton wants to end tipping. What do you think?

I think it'd be great.

• Yeah, end tipping
  • No, I love it when the servers are at my mercy
  • Seriously, no
  • See results

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't support or like Hillary but I totally agree with her on this issue. The problem with tipping in the US is that it's essentially mandatory because it's a part of the staff's salary. Here in Europe, we do have tipping too but it's not mandatory and you don't feel like a total dick if you don't tip. In western Europe, tipping is more considered like a bonus waiters/waitresses get for an exceptional service. For example I tip almost always but the amount I tip depends on how fast, friendly, attentive etc. my server is. If he/she is grumpy or never looks when I call him/her, I only give 1-2% of the total bill. if he/she is very nice, fast and attentive, I tip up to 10% (which is considered a lot in my country). Other people such as my mom hardly ever tip. She only tips if the service was really like "wow, this was the server of the year" but it's still okay because we know that the staff earns enough money.
    Personally, I think that is the best solution. Tipping should be outlawed as a mandatory custom and waiters/waitresses should paid decent wages in America. But at the same time, it should remain legal to give extra money on top of the decent salary if you really enjoyed the food and the service.
    I also believe tipping should be gotten rid off in the US because it includes a lot of discrimination. One of these discriminations is the fact that many customers don't tip your work but instead they tip you as a person. For example scientists made experiments and found out that good looking, young women with big boobs made CONSIDERABLY more tips not just among male customers but EVEN among female customers than middle aged, chubby guys. Now, that is very unfair because that middle aged chubby male waiter might work just as hard as his attractive female coworker and yet, he has to struggle way more at the end of the month. Another injustice is the fact that servers get all the tips for themselves in many restaurants while the chefs in the kitchen don't get anything.
    And finally, I also don't think it's a pleasant custom for customers themselves. When I lived in America, I always felt this pressure to tip and I really didn't like it. I also hated the fact that it's basically something you've got to pay extra without being able to properly calculate it. You know, like those fees and taxes when you purchase a product and it says $50 in the catalogue but you end up paying $59. I want to pay EXACTLY what it says on the menu and give more if I feel like it.

What Guys Said 22

• Is the idea to help the servers? I used to manage a bar/restaurant, and let me tell you, nothing makes me lose respect for a person faster than someone acting like their tip is some sort of scorecard for their service. You came to a restaurant, the custom is to tip 20%, you know that coming in. If they blew you away, then hook them up with more. But 20% should be your floor. You probably suck more at your job than you think you do, and your performance sometimes suffers due to a foul-up somewhere else in the chain, so don't be a Judgey McJudgerson and/or be a cheapskate and look for reasons to deduct from the tip. Like holy fuck, get a life, I would never act that way in a society. I never depended on tips in my position, but I would have choked someone the fuck out for that bullshit, just on principle.

• Hillary Clinton is full of shit! She got paid $225,000 by the head of Goldman Sachs to give one speech. In addition she was paid to give two more speeches for a total of over $675,000. She is so deep in his pocket he probably keeps her next to his wallet. Unlike Sanders, who funds his campaign from regular people, like minimum wage and tip earners, hers is virtually entirely funded by Wall St. Anything other than she is going to give Wall St. whatever they want is pure rhetoric to get elected, and Wall St. HATES making businesses pay low wage workers more money.

• I wouldn't listen to one single thing this female had to say. Not if it kept be from bursting into flames

• This is an awful thing to say. I'm reporting and blocking you.

• In Belgium (and some other EU countries) a 15% tip is always included in the price on the menu and thus on the bill. Most people leave some loose coins (or more) as an extra.

• It's a better solution than the tipping as it's known in the US.

• *Accidentally wrote "countries" twice

• @thewanderingme in my opinion it's mainly about which part of a waitress' salary is paid by the restaurant owner and which part by the customer. Of course, in the end it"s *always* the customer who pays but tipping by the customer permits to advertize lower prices on the menu.

• You think by her wanting her to raise the sub minimum wage rate in those twelve states from $2 to a minimum federal minimum wage, that means she wants to eliminate tipping? Is there a quote of her saying she wants to eliminate people being able to tip or is this an article trying to exaggerate her opinion in order to create a story they can get page views in order to sell ads?

• since the question is closed ima just comment on your opinion lol.

how the fuck is she supposed to get rid of tipping when its optional? so like.. what happens then, if a person tips an employee they get fined themselves? the fuck outta here with that shit lol.

im talking about personal tips, not gratuity.

• now that makes a lot more sense. i didn't do my own research, just read the main title and skimmed through the details lol.

• @BertMacklinFBI I haven't looked into it either but based on what the asker posted that's my guess. I don't see why Hilary would tell the public she wants them to have lower wages? I wouldn't be real surpised if Trump said something controversial like that lol. I bet she's trying to do the opposite but the press found a way to masquerade the opposite for a story.

• The minimum wage needs to be brought to current.

• That's like saying she can end clapping, high fives, or any other cultural custom. Also the federal government lacks the authority to end tipping.

• Not at all. Tipping is not an informal, cultural custom. And of course the government has the authority to end tipping—were you drunk when you wrote this?

• @Asker Federal minimum wage can be set because it affects interstate commerce, which the Constitution specifically gives the power to the feds to regulate. Tipping is not an act of interstate commerce, so the federal government lacks the authority to regulate it. It's that simple.

• You know I'm not talking about banning tipping, right? The government can abolish the subminimum wage. People can still give extra money if they want to.

• I don't think we should necessarily end tipping, but we do seriously need to increase minimum wage for tipped workers vastly.

• It's about time it ended. I know a local employer who runs a pizza place and he classifies people as tipped employees then put them doing duties such as cleanup and cashiers where they don't get any tips. So he's just stealing labor from them.

• @thewanderingme It wouldn't do any good at this point. I no longer know anyone who works there who would be willing to testify against him. I just relate his activities to people in the area in hopes they won't do business with him anymore. He puts himself forth as some upstanding Christian businessman when he's really just a lowlife asshole hypocrite. Money went missing in the middle of the night one time. They had a surveillance video which clearly showed a masked male breaking in and taking the money, but he threatened to fire everyone in the store, including people who didn't work in the days surrounding the time of the robbery and who didn't even closely match the suspects' description because he "couldn't trust that anyone else wasn't involved." He's a real classless act. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was the one who robbed the store for insurance and tax fraud purposes. Several people wised up and quit after that stupid threat, including both of his managers.

• if there's an electrical problem, we call an electrician.

why is Hilary even a candidate is my question. she married bill Clinton? so what?

• It sounds great, but either a lot of waitresses and waiters will get fired, or the food prices will skyrocket.

• How come every other country has normal food prices with no tipping,

• For better or for worse, capitalism is the American way. The companies here have shareholders to please. They will not lose out on profits, so that money lost to pay wait staff a fair wage will be made up somehow.

• For the record, I've always tipped generously.

• Hmm. Leaving a huge tip is kinda something I do on a date to look like a bigshot, so I'd be mildly disappointed that it was gone.

But seriously, why not up their wages AND keep tips? Surely that'd be the best scenario for the staff...

• You should be able to pay extra if you want to, that shouldn't be illegal. But right now, servers are paid the sub-minimum wage assuming they'll get tips. They should be paid the minimum wage.

• asker: technically tipped employees are supposed to be paid minimum wage if their hourly wage and tips don't equal at least minimum wage for the day. the taxes taken from checks at the end if the pay period reflect that. or are supposed to anyway, legally.

• What she doesn't tell you is that when you have a good night working in a good restaurant you pull $30 and hour in tips cold hard cash and then you get that shitty pay check at the end of the week for about 80 bucks...

• As a person from outside of america i see tipping as retarded i like paying the owner gor my food and the owner can pay his workers im not doing both

• I used to work in food service (16-22yrs old). I was a badass worker. End tipping period. Another dumb American tradition that was started during the great depression of the 1920's

• Lmao Hillary is just too much sexually frustrated

• Reported as nonsense.

• Sounds fair. Goodonya Hillary

• If you're voting dumocrat you have two choices, either vote for Hilary and lose your tips right away, or optionally you can vote for Sanders and let him take them away from you later.

• *looks at the camera like I'm on The Office*

• Yes of course.

I live in a country where there's no tipping - because people can live comfortably off minimum wages

• She wants to end the rights of everyone in US. Hopefully they don't vote her in

• Yes say goodbye to tipping, good riddens. If they want more money demand that from thr owner, the one whos pocketing a nice percentage of profits. Taking 5 % of that for employeees won't hurt.

• So go from $2.13 an hour to $7.25? $5.22 more. That's less money a server can make with tips in an hour.
    Screw the little guy again!

• And once the man ( government ) takes a bit wet bite out of that they are lucky to be at $5.00 an hour. Government wins again. The asker really isn't much for economics that's for sure

• You'll understand when you're a little older. How can you possibly understand the ramifications of the wrong president & the economy?
      WHY does America have to be like other countries? Just because "nearly every country has normal food prices without tipping. It is absolutely not necessary." Doesn't me the US has to.
      That statement in itself shows you don't yet have enough life experience.

• I won't keep talking to you as you just made an ageist statement. Have a nice day.

What Girls Said 10

• I think it makes sense to end tipping. Tipping used to be meant as a way to reward staff for their good service. But it's now become a way to supplement the business owner for their pay. I don't think that's fair.

I believe tips should be given when the person wants to give them for outstanding service. But not something they feel obligated to give.

It's not right that they only make $2.13 an hour, that's not a living wage. People need to be able to afford necessities like water and hydro. How can a person live on that low of a wage?

I support this, just as long as the base wage for these industries is also increased to meet minimum standards at least.

• I agree. I think that tipping should end and waitresses/waiters should make minimum wage or be given above minimum wage depending on experience like everyone else. If it's a more upscale restaurant then I think they should be paid several dollars above minimum wage.

The whole concept of paying extra for basic customer service at a job you signed up to do and filled out an application saying you were qualified to perform just seems silly to me. And that's coming from someone who used to be a waitress and ultimately felt silly/got tired of complaining about not making enough money for the night when I agreed to work for under $4 an hour. -_- You are supposed to smile, be friendly, be warm, be helpful, and provide a service when it comes to any successful business... why be paid extra for the fundamentals of maintaining clientele?

• Even though the hourly pay is low, no one held a gun to waitresses/waiter heads and told them they had to work for that amount an hour. -_- They chose to and volunteered themselves to be in a hit or miss situation.

• I mean... I'm a bad tipper. I hate tipping. Obviously I still tip, of course, but it's like pulling teeth to pay any more for something than I have to.

But can you really survive on $7.25 an hour? They literally just raised minimum wage above that lol

• I dont want this to happen... Because I've worked as a server for $4.91 plus tips, and I've worked at other jobs for minimum wage, $7.93 (Florida wages) and I can honestly tell you that I make 3 or 4 times as much money as a server, from working the same amount of hours.

This law may be good for the customer, but not for waiters/waitresses. I can't speak for other tipped workers though, I haven't experienced that.

• I worked as a barista earning above my states minimum wage (above federal minimum) and received tips as well. Most servers that I know make base minimum wage, plus tips therefore make a higher average wage than minimum wage even sharing a percentage of tips with the busboy and greeter. Even if a waitperson is making less than minimum wage they should have little problem making more than minimum wage with tips alone. To me being tipped for great service is a way that you can control a higher than minimum wage, to a point because there are those who either under tip or who don't at all. Clinton's theory may sound good, but it just might not be based on reality.

• I agree with getting rid of tipping, but not so that severs, bartenders, etc end up making minimum wage. one of the nice things about those jobs is that realistically the amount being made comes out to a better percentage of what the restaurant is making. you don't see that is any other type of job. most jobs, those doing all the labor make a tiny percent of the profits. I waitressed for years and always made at least $15 an hour just from tips, and in the nicer places $20-$25 an hour depending on day of the week/season. so taking away tipping and paying anything less than $15 an hour would make things worse.

• She's not ending tipping, she wants to end the bullshit wages certain workers get. A tip is a bonus, not a way that you make ends meet.

• Well I'm not a waitress but waiters don't get paid a lot and they depend on their tips. I think it's the worst idea in the world. I'll still tip... fuck that. If the server is nice to me they deserve to get good tips.

• I think they should end it

• Well there's certainly gonna be less boob showing in waitresses lol :)))