Do you think everyone should have equal rights under the law?

Even a child rapist? A terrorist? A child-raping terrorist? Because they exist. Terrorists use sexual violence.

If a child-raping, terrorist mass murderer was caught in the US, would you want them to go on trial?

• yes
  • no

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. Because under the US constitution, not only do we all have equal rights, but we can only have our rights taken from us if conditions are met. Namely, if due legal process is carried out.
    It is because they go on trial that our rights mean anything. When found guilty, their rights are stripped from them, and they are incarcerated.
    What would you propose we did rather than put them on trial? Just take them behind the courthouse and shoot them twice in the head for their crimes?
    That sounds tempting. Child rapist? Murderer? Two shots fired, and the problem is over. Society is safe from that criminal!
    No. Not at all.
    There was never any action done to PROVE they were guilty of the crime. It is through a trial that evidence is presented, proof is offered, and guilt is determined. If you allow anyone simply accused to be dealt away with, with no trial? You get the French Revolution, where tens of thousands were publicly executed as bloodlust swamped over people. Fingers pointed, lies told, and heads rolled. No accountability, no proof, just a lot of death.
    What is more, you give the government the right to simply execute anyone, on the spot, they feel is a danger to the public. That includes you, if they don't like you. Don't worry, though, the public will believe you deserved to die.
    They'll just be told you were a child rapist.

Most Helpful Girl

• I understand what you're saying. They don't need a fair trial to protect themselves - everyone knows such a person would be a monster. We need it to protect ourselves. It doesn't take long for the judicial system to crumble. We need it to be fair for everyone so that it stays fair for everyone. Sed lex dura lex.

What Guys Said 11

• I do think that most people are entitled to a fair trial.. but that fairness stops as far as I am concerned when someone, say like that shooter that shot those people in the movie theater while watching a batman movie.. he got a trial anyways and he got to live, that was way more then he deserved and way more then any of his victims got.. that guy should have had no taxpayer funded trial or had another day to breath.

To me it is the same with terrorists.. when they are caught red handed just like that gunman and that idiot planned to even kill more by booby trapping after the fact, these people should be the exception to the rule and they should get no trial, no last minute deals, no insanity pleas.. nothing.. they should just be gone from this planet for good.. these guys are scumbags and not needed at all.. the world is full of crazy people.. and sometimes you do not have to look very far to find them

• I do think everyone should have equal rights under the law.

For instance: That person accused of child molestation and terrorism charges would deserve to be treated as innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Otherwise, an innocent person would be put to death for a serious crime that they never committed.

• Terrorists don't deserve rights. They should be sent to Guantanamo Bay and everything they know should be squeezed out of them, and when they are of no more value, they should be executed and their bodies cremated.

• Now that's what I'm talking about!

• They have the right to be defended sure. Same rules.
    But i don't support people that pay to not be in jail, that's just not logical.

• Yes, everyone deserves a fair trial no matter the crime

• Yep. Law isn't always just, but they apply equally to everyone that lives under them.

• Of. course everyone should have equal rights under the law. Justice is impartial.

• I think that -alleged- child raping mass terrorists should have similar rights to others, and if found guilty, should rot in jail forever,.

• The kind of rights you seem to be referring to shouldn't be something you want taken away.

A trial is how we as a society attempt to decide whether someone ACCUSED of being a "child-raping, terrorist mass murderer" really did what is said about them or if they are innocent (eg. they might look like the person that did those things)

Without the right to a fair trial innocent people will be punished for crimes that they are not guilty of. The right to a trial does not minimize punishment if a person is fairly convicted.

Do you really want to see a return to the kind of atrocities of the witch trials or the Spanish Inquision, or police beating the mentally ill until they confess to crimes they did not commit to make them stop?

• I would think you'd want to know for sure that the authorities have caught the actual "child-raping, terrorist mass murderer" and not some homeless guy with a shaggy beard that confessed to it after being beaten to an inch of his life...

• I don't think women should offer opinions about the law because they can't enforce it...

• I don't think you should offer an opinion about anything.

• "If a child-raping, terrorist mass murderer was caught in the US, would you want them to go on trial? "

Yes of course. Innocent until proven guilty.

What Girls Said 4

• They do get equal rights.

But no one has a right to rape a child. So I don't see how you can say they don't have equal rights. They're prosecuted just like everyone else.

• I'd still want them to get a fair trial.

• Yes, of course they would have to go on trial.

• I've always thought any violent criminal should just be killed. Most states still have the death penalty its justice in my book.