Does this make me sexist?

It's kind of a habit. Yesterday I was watching Once Upon A Time (great show!) and the kid told Emma he was the mayor's kid. When they got to the mayor's house, there was a woman and a younger guy inside. I automatically assumed she was the mayor's wife and the guy (he turned out to be the sheriff) was the mayor or their son, or a relative. Turns out she's the mayor... and the Evil Queen.

An today I was making lists on Amazon for books I wanted to buy. There's this 800-page book about the abolition of slavery that I saw on NYTimes. While adding it to the list, I wanted to check out the author and googled the name, Manisha Sinha, assuming it would be an Indian-American man (I thought it could be common for Indian boy names to end in a), maybe with glasses and a curly grey beard. Nope. It turned out to be a woman, looking like a slightly older version of Safiya from Buzzfeed, who is mixed white and Pakistani (as far as I know).

Does this make me sexist?

Update: Safiya is Indian (Muslim) and Danish.

Most Helpful Guy

• How is this sexist at all this seems more like your brain is automatically assuming things because normally that is what is most probable.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• We all have preconceived notions in our heads that dictate how we react to things or what we expect. That's normal. The human brain is hardwired to try to make patterns out of our experiences so that we can act according in the future based on what we are used to experiencing. I think the difference between sexist and just reacting to our preconceived notions/prejudices is whether you use those prejudices to hurt or otherwise put down people.

• No it doesn't, but the current Western social trends make one feel guilty about virtually anything. Don't let it get to you.