How to choose a puppy?

I'm about to adopt my first dog! :D But unsure on how to choose one. I'd adopt all the puppies but can only afford one. Any tips on how to choose one?

Most Helpful Guy

• Pick the one that comes up and plays with you.🐶🐾👅💦

• actually those dogs are always dominant. if she doesn't want a dominant dog, she should pick one of the relaxed ones. not the ones that hide for her either, because those are just pussies lol

• Hahah that's actually a good idea :)

What Guys Said 4

• Do not fall into the mistake of thinking that smaller dogs are easier to control because they're smaller. They're not. Some breeds of smaller dogs are terrible. Dachshunds in particular are impossible to train.

If this is your first dog, I'd recommend a golden retriever.

In terms of actual picking, aside from good physical health, you also need to pay attention to mental health and compatibility. Look out for things like self confidence, does the dog get scared over minor things, does it get overly territorial, etc, and even some basic, but critically important things like does the dog like you.

Good luck.

• Husky!!! 😍😍😍 but yeah, just see which one seems most friendly/most willing to play at the adoption centre or wherever you're going

• I believe in adopting mutts that need a home, rather than some inbred pup where your money winds up supporting a puppy mill. As others have said picking a dog that suits your circumstances is important as is picking one that you have a connection with.

• Do careful resurch on the dig breads and find the best fit for your situation

What Girls Said 3

• Well, you need to choose a breed you like, obviously, but you need to make sure that it suits your home. Like, if you live in a tiny studio flat, you shouldn't get a huge dog like a St Bernard, obviously. If you don't have a garden, it's best to choose a low-energy dog so that you can give them walks but they'll be cool with staying inside most of the time. Choosing a dog suited to the environment is good too, if you live somewhere really hot, it's best not to get a dog like a bulldog (which my family have) because dogs with flat faces and a lot of fat and muscle can overheat very easily.

Now, choosing who to buy from is pretty important too. It's best to go with a registered breeder, it's more expensive but it means that your dog will probably be alright healthwise. If you don't go for a registered breeder, make sure that you can see the puppies at home with their mother. A lot of people sell stolen puppies under the pretense that they've raised them - see the pups with the mom to make sure that you really are getting a puppy this person raised rather than getting a stolen puppy and a photo of the mother.

Choosing a specific puppy... You wanna look at how they walk. Puppies do develop but if the puppy is really obviously not walking right, there could be a problem. You also want to see that they can breathe easily and if they pant, that's fine, but make sure they're not struggling to get their breath back. Check that their eyes are clear. That's all I can think of at the moment, but we sold and bought puppies - I've had 20 dogs at one point :P - and my family are registered breeders, so I can try and answer any questions you have.

• The best way to pick out a puppy is to do some research. Find out what traits you want the dog to have, and really think about your lifestyle.

Do you live in a big house with a yard or a small apartment with just a balcony? Do you live near parks and are able to walk the dog daily or will the dog be spending more time inside?

These are all things you must consider before you get a dog. A big dog won't do well in a small apartment with no lawn. Also, some dogs require much more exercise and care than smaller dogs. For example, Huskies have lots of hair, they need to be brushed daily and you will need to clean your house constantly. They are also very hyper and need lots of exercise.

There are also dogs which are better around small kids. If you have other pets, you will need to know if the dog has been socialized around those types of animals. If it's a good shelter or rescue then they will ask you a bunch of questions beforehand to figure out which dog is the best fit.

Once you have figured out which traits would be best, then you can go in and select a dog. Tell them what kinds of things you are looking for and they can point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

• Do lots of research to find the right breed for you, and then when you get there, you'll want the puppy who seems to kinda be lagging behind. Not the first one to jump on you, but maybe the 4th or 5th. That dog will be calmer and easier to train.

Alternatively, you could always adopt a mix breed. I'm a huge fan of mutts because they're unique, they need homes, and they tend to have much less health problems than purebreds.