If a shop assistant gives you too much change, do you tell them and give it back?

... or say nothing and keep it?

Personally, I always tell them and GIVE it back... no matter how big or small the amount of change is.

Most Helpful Guy

• Sure, because I was an shop assistant and not only, just because they will deduct it from the shop assistant and it will be not fair against him or anybody else, having this problem.

Most Helpful Girl

• YES, @Victorianne...
    Speaking of a Perfect Scenario, a few months back, there was a Big Error with Cash and Credit and the Clerk... Gave it to me, told me to keep it, even though I literally tried to drop the buck back in her pocket.
    Good luck and great question. xx

• A similar thing happened to me the other week. I took my niece and nephew out for an
      ice-cream , and the girl thought i had given her £20.00, but it was only a £10.00 . She gave me 15.00 change instead of £5.00 so i told her and gave it back ♥ xxx

• you are very welcome!! ♥

I agree! It is better to walk away with a clear conscience than to be burdened with guilt! ♥♥xxxx

• lol!!! God would strike me dead for sure, @Victorianne. xxoo

What Guys Said 14

• It's happened a couple of times, and I've always given it back. One time I didn't notice, and by the time I figured it out, it was far too late to go back (it was on a trip).

• I always give it back. Otherwise they will get into trouble when they cash up at the end of the day and are short.

• I once gave a really cute girl less than I should and told her "Keep the change. ;) " and just waited for her reaction. The look on her face was priceless!

• lol what happened after? XD

• @Dipsy Nah I gave her the rest of the money and said she's very cute when confused. I hope I made her day.

• I'm gonna do that, thanks for the tip XD

I'll tell ya how it went, hopefully they don't put my ass in jail

• I will always give it back. I don't want to be the reason they get into trouble at the end of the day.

• Yes, and the clerk got annoyed.

• Sure. I would.

Do I REALLY need that extra cash? REALLY?

• I always give it back, a little bit of money to me isn't worth another persons hardship that may come along with that.

• Always give him back.

• Yes because it only happens with pennies with me and I hate having to carry around pennies so it's really doing me a favor when I give them back. They are worth less than worthless because they simply just take up space for me.

• I don't, it's their job not mine.

• Y'know those self-serve checkouts at Wal-Mart? I found a $50 in the change thing.

Bought a dime bag, some beers and a pack of smokes. Finders keepers. :D

• let´s be honest here. i´m not going to notice it so probably not.

• I always count my change in case they short change me. So I always notice

• Did you forget the pirate code?
    Take what you can give nothing back😝

• i give it back too. even if the cashier is an asshole.

What Girls Said 7

• Yep. If I don't notice until later, and I have the time, I'll even go back and square things up.

Not only is it the right thing to do, but, even speaking in purely opportunistic terms, the merchant is just as likely to give you an even better deal the next time. Win win.

• As a cashier, I would give it back.

Rule at our store is if we are over or under by $2 then we get a write up.

• I give it back because sometimes it'll come out of their pocket. As a cashier, bartender, waitress, etc, I've given the wrong change and I'm the one who's pocket it comes out of :/

• yup, I'm too nice to don't give it back

• If I catch it before I leave, I'll return the extra change.

• Absolutely right I would.. I'd simply never be able to sleep with my conscience.

• Same here! i would view it as deceitful and stealing

• @Victorianne.. As a business owner myself I know only too well how very upsetting, and stressful it is when you cash up at the end of the day, and find the total amount short, maybe by several pounds on occasions. :(

• If I notice I do.
    Although most times I just shove the change in my pocket.