I'm VEGAN and I don't want to go to a zoo (but I'm forced to do so). What would YOU do?

For me there is no chance that I pay 80 dollars to see animal cruelty.
But now I have to. I can't miss the whole school trip (this is only one station out of 14 and I can't because they booked already everything) but I also don't want to support the people who put those animals in those conditions. What would you do if you were me?

• pay 80 dollars for this zoo but then try to damage property inside of the zoo (for example the toilet) to make them pay
  • pay 80 dollars for this zoo but try to make their work there a living hell (insulting, be rude... to the personal)
  • lock myself in the hotel room on the day where my teacher wants to see the zoo

Most Helpful Guy

• They can't force you to pay $80 to enter, just say you cannot afford it. If they still want to take you then it's coming out of the school's pockets or one of the teachers will have to sit with you outside.

Do not under any circumstance go there and damage the property or insult the staff.

But it must be a frikkin amazing zoo for an $80 entrance fee lol, i'd want to go and see that.

• It's really big, yes, but the conditions are horrible. It's just a easy way to get a lot of money.

I don't think I can say I don't have $80, because I need at least $100 dollars for other attractions that we'll see later, so they'll either see that I lied or I'm not gonna be able to go the other ones, if I take not enough money with me.

What do you think will be the consequences?
      For being rude, they normally just forbid you to enter that shop/institution for some months/years. But that isn't a real problem for me.

• I'd also say that you should not use violence or rude behaviour... After all they can easily use it against you. And it doesn't help anyone...

• @asker can't you just say you don't have enough for ALL of them, and just ask the teacher to skip the zoo instead?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm a vegan too so I definitely understand where you're coming from. If there is absolutely no way for you to skip this trip then I would go and see this as an experiment rather than a visit to support animal cruelty. By that I mean, I would ask questions to the people working there about the animals living conditions etc then see what I can do myself to stop zoos when get home.. "When you get home" like signing under protests for the animals etc. Feed the animals and pat them if you are able to, give them love.

• Er I don't recommend feeding the animals while you are there (can make them sick). But go ahead and try to pet a polar bear lol.

• I agree with her :)

What Guys Said 18

• ... don't be a delinquent, damaging property will just get you in trouble and is honestly kinda dumb to do.

• boo fucking hoo. just take it and go. enjoy the fucking animals and stop overthinking it. it's a trip outta school

• If you give me $80, sure.

• You might as well refuse to wear clothes or use many modern inventions because the acquisition of the required resources for them involved killing animals or driving them away from their homes.

• Do you really think that everything you need to live for bases on harming animals (somebody else)? Ever heard of vegan shampoo, clothes (how is this even an issue), make up etc?

• @hawaiianflower Oil, metal, wood, to name a few, involve harming animals. You most definitely use all of them every day in one way or another.

• if you cry and scream your vegan ideals they won't make you go, trust.

• Please un-brainwash yourself. Zoos provide educational experiences and get people to care about endangered species that otherwise would go extinct. In fact, a few of the species creatures there are already "Extinct in the wild".

Obviously, more modern zoos have more space for the animals so they are not just caged. So pitch in with the money and modernize your zoo.

• Vote D, grow the fuck up.

• https://i.imgflip.com/pivxa.jpg

This is why people don't like vegans. They tell people whenever they can like it's just necessary and seek to interfere with things that conflict their beliefs in the worst ways possible. They seem to have a superiority complex with their arguments seeping with the moral high ground fallacy

The entire selling point of veganism is that you should be able to be an awesome person and live a healthy alternative lifestyle that doesn't harm animals, not being an angry bitch who can't seem to think up rational ways of enforcing your beliefs

$80 is bullshit, but damaging property and insulting the people who probably work there for the money and nothing else will solve nothing

If those are your only options, you need get your act together because your rationale is unbearably low

• When people say "lets go to the zoo" and I say "no sorry, I'm vegan", then I'm not trying to preach my lifestyle. It's simply the explanation why I don't want to go. Period.

Radical protests are something that activists like to do. There are people who steal animals out of experimental labors, the ones that cut fishing nets and the ones that destroy things to make them "pay back". I see some of them as acceptable, some of them as not (speaking of the last one).

(So anyway, it doesn't justify the damage of property)

• @hawaiianflower Oh you
      Maybe if you'd have responded about 10 days ago, I'd take apart your point, but my window of debate has closed

You're free to count it as a win

• I'm not interested in winning... discussion itself is a win for both sides. As long as nobody chooses to stay ignorant.

• Sound somewhat ignorant, are you just assuming all zoos treat animals like shit, because that's deffienety not the case, animals are endangered and can't always return to there habitat. Just go to the zoo, eating the animals is not part of the experience, but 80$ is a lot and if you genuinely don't have the money or are short on cash at the moment, don't go! If you feel like the zoo you go to is treating the animals poorly maybe you can do something about it.

• you're not gonna go there to eat the zoo animals or you can just not go. I always skip the shitty trips back when i was in school.

• I'd stop being a retard and realize that zoos fund wildlife preservation and endangered species rehabilitation projects and enjoy the animals.

• Stop whining and go to the zoo.

• I hope somebody says this to you when somebody you like gets murdered. You're welcome!

• @hawaiianflower she said "silk" not "milk"

• @mntwins66 Okay, apologies. But same goes to honey. It doesn't matter if it's drinking milk or eating honey. It's the same situation.

• are you planning on eating the animals at the zoo? otherwise i can't see what you being vegan has to do with anything xD

• Not all zoos are the same. There are conservation zoos, like the one in San Diego and the one that Steve Irwin (the Crocodile Hunter) managed, that help endangered species to survive.

• Vote D - stop being a retard for a day and go to the zoo.

• I would give up on silly ideals and eat a burger

• You shouldn't destroy zoo property or be rude to the staff. I like the zoo, it doesn't mean I hate animals.

• Asker I work in a zoo and we treat the animals very well

• D) Just go, but don't enjoy it

The "options" you give for your poll indicate that you're a whiny, spoiled brat.

Just because you're placed in an obligatory situation, that you'd rather avoid, if possible, doesn't give you the right to ruin the trip for everyone who doesn't share your views. It's called being tolerant, and it's a necessary skill, in the adult world.

Lots of people don't like going to work, but they don't trash the equipment inside the office, as a result. Nobody is asking you to eat the animals, or make a coat out of them. If you don't like seeing them in captivity, fine; nobody is forcing you to, personally, lock up a penguin.

If you try to damage the zoo property, that's a felony, whether you agree with their practices, or not. If you really think those are your only options, then you really need to grow up.

• I also don't agree with being rude, but I don't think somebody has to tolerate a view, that is hateful against somebody else (Now in that case it's about animals and most people would stage them as lower beings so it doesn't really count, but it's still a morally unacceptable view, as long as you're not aware of the situation of these beings).

I don't get what you mean by "nobody is forcing you to, personally, lock up a penguin"? If somebody murders a person, do you tell people, who jugde the murder "Nobody is asking you to murder somebody by yourself. If you don't like it, fine; then just don't commit murder by yourself".

At the end, damage is just getting used against the one who does it, so I don't think this is a solution either.

• Well beside the fact that zoos are not able to reconstruct the conditions that animals need/have in nature, the most of them produce a lot of animal babies to attract tourists. When they grow older, they take away a lot of place and food, so they have to get rid of them. Maybe they put them into other kind of zoos, which is mostly probably not the case, because they have also a lot of animals (normally too many in comparison to the size of the cage). Out of experience I can say that some of them indeed get slaughtered and their flesh gets used as food for the still living animals (I already saw something like that in denmark). I don't know what happens to rest, but I think it's no good, because they can neither survive in nature nor get a place in another zoo.

Yes, many people say that zoos will prevent the extinction, which I doubt a bit... because how can it be possible that zoos, that don't have as much place as woods/deserts/seas and where the most animals forget how to live *

• * and survive in nature can support the existence of a whole species?

I can understand this issue and this is also the point where I disagree with her. But I can also understand why she started to compare this to murder (otherwise I wouldn't have used it by myself). But yeah, this comparison isn't understandable for everybody and maybe a bit out of place.

What Girls Said 15

• Get the fuck over it.

Go to the zoo and stop being a whiny special snowflake pansy.

• I hope somebody you love gets murdered. Then just get the fuck over it and please don't start being a whiny special snowflake pansy.

• Humans and animals in the zoo are completely different.

• well, I understand what you are saying, I love animals very, very much. But I would go to the zoo, but not do anything. I mean, they are checked and maintained to the best of their ability for the saftey of the animals. So it's not animal cruelty. these animals would not be able to survive in their natural habitat. I would just go and try not to worry about it. And another way to look at it is they need the money to keep their animals safe, be cause if a bunch of people destroyed things there or refused to go, they would dump animals at a park where they are usually killed. So I would just go, pay, just not interact or pay for anything extra and do the bare bones of what you absolutely have to do

• yup, exactly!! Do this ^^

• @mntwins66 Did you see the links?

• @hawaiianflower Yes, and they should not be generalized towards all zoos. The Minnesota zoo is better than this, that's a fact.

• And then people wonder why nobody likes vegans.

• childish childish childish

last option

• Mature choices you've given. Smh. If you go, don't order the hot dog.

• If you don't want to go then don't go. Nobody can force you to do anything. And having worked in a zoo, they aren't as bad as you think.

• Well if your going to go with extremes. Then best to lock yourself up in the hotel room. That way you won't go to jail or something for defacing public property.

• research the zoo. they're not all bad.. if you find fault with it, sit at the entrance until it's time to leave.

• Say you're sick that day. Stay in the hotel room and watch movies.

• What does being a vegan have to do with going to the zoo or not?

• exactly my thoughts... it's not like a slaughter house

• @mntwins66 No offence taken. lol hahahaah

• @hawaiianflower furthermore, it's spelled elephants. Not elefants or whatever. Also, I suppose you'll tell me now that my owning horses is somehow torture. You're in the minority.

• Take wire cutters and set the animal loose whilst singing Born Free.

• How about E. Stop being a whiny child and go to the zoo. Don't damage the property or throw a tantrum like a 4 year old and instead learn about the conditions take pictures and ask FRIENDLY non obtrusive question about the care and what ever else you want to know. Then you can: A.) do a report on your findings or maybe a fund raiser for organizations that care about animal rights B.) Give your findings to a organization that may or may not care such as peta or whatever C.) If it really distressed you, you may want to see if you want to become some kind of animal rights activist or finally D.) Forget about the whole experience.

• You should explain to your teachers why you don't want to go, they can't force you. (or act sick they day you'll have to go to there and they'll probably give you your money back)

• Just don't go. There was this girl I knew at my school that was a vegan animal rights activist, and she decided not to go on the trip. I think there were other people with her, and they showed a movie or something. Maybe your school would do that

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more