Was it a good idea to vote for Cruz to keep Trump from winning the nomination?

While the offical NC Primary is tomorrow, I voted last week for Ted Cruz because I don't want Trump to get the nomination and I also would prefer that no candidate gets the required delegates either. I honestly don't like any of the other candidates that much since Rand Paul dropped out but I do like Kasich the most and Rubio is just less insane than Cruz/Trump. I personally don't like Cruz or Trump at ALL. Cruz is a theocrat and Trump is a madman. However, I decided a vote for Rubio/Kasich was a waste at this point and just allows Trump to more easily get delegates. I think every candidate but Trump gets this too. I was hoping if Cruz and Trump could square off so that neither got the majority than open voting would take place in some months and the part would (hopefully) select Kasich to be it's nominee.

Was this a good idea? I know "playing the game" and "voting for the lesser of two evils" is NOT the proper way to do politics but I didn't want to just the Trump Train keep blowing full speed if I knew I could help derail it. What are y'all's opinions.

Note: I am a moderate with more right leanings. I know the Democrats have their own thing going on but I really don't want to get involved in their primary.

• Yeah it was a good idea, do what you can to Stump the Trump
  • No playing the game is wrong.
  • WHY DIDN'T YOU VOTE FOR BERNIE?

Most Helpful Guy

• There are some serious issues I take with Cruz, but in the end, I trust him. I trust him to know what the constitutional limits of his power are. I trust him to not burn the nation to the ground in the next 4 years.
    He is not my ideal candidate, but compared to Trump, he is who anyone sane would want.

A good thing about voting for a sitting senator? You can look him up on YouTube and watch hours upon hours of him in session. You can see what kinds of questions he asks. You can see how he treats colleagues on both sides of the aisle. We can look at Cruz in the senate and have an idea what we're getting. We can't do that with Trump. We can't even look at what Trump has said to see what we're getting. He has said everything and anything on every issue in the last decade, so we have no idea what he actually believes, and no reason to believe his current position is anything more than what people want to hear to earn votes.

• The plague or the cholera, which one is better?

• And who is the plague, who is the cholera in this case? Or are they both HIV strains?

• @jacquesvol You brought up disease. I despise Trump, you can label him as any you want.
      While I think some slimy things have come out of Cruz's campaign, it's worth noting that he does not directly manage his campaign, and I don't hold him accountable for anything they do. I just hold him accountable for not cracking down on them when they do things they should not.

I've watched hours of him on YouTube in the senate. Debates, hearings, etc. He maintains a fairly level tone, and his points are fair, and consistent. I don't agree with him on everything, but this demonization of him seems entirely unconnected to who he actually is, what his politics actually are, and what he has actually done.

What Girls Said 3

• Sure, why not. You can vote for anyone you want, and for any reason.

Commendable that you had the stomach to do it though, not sure I could bring myself to check the box for either Cruz or Trump - just the thought is sickening lol. But maybe for the greater good? Who knows. Anyway, all the best. I do hope Trump is not the republican nominee, but I'm skeptical that will be the case at this point.

• i doubt it would make a difference

• It didn't. Trump still won the state. Glad to know there's so many racists and idiots here in NC.
      Oh well...#IStandWithHer I guess?

• Literally why not Bernie? Not feeling the Bern or what?

What Guys Said 9

• It won't make a difference in the long run Ted won't win people are to fed up with politicians both republican, democrat and liberal. And Trump still has more delegates and even if they are able to start a convention they still won't be able to beat Trump or find someone to run in his place the best people they had for stopping him were already in the election and dropped out, they have no one left.

I personally am voting for Trump myself I may not like him as much as an individual as the other republicans but he will get results and results are what we need and he knows the issues and what needs to be done to fix them. There really is nothing you can do to stop him from getting elected he knows the game and the play book better then the people playing it, he's got more then enough money to outspend whoever he runs against and everything that both parties attempt to do to him backfires on them. And when he runs against Hillary lol he'll eat her alive she has way to many skeletons in her closest not to mention an FBI investigation going on with her regarding having top secret goverment documents and files that she shouldn't have or even have access to, some of which shed to light what she did in Benghazi as well as from what I've heard may pin her to the murders or soon to be planned murders of eye witness and people she's associated with that helped her set up the email account to begin with.

• Well, it didn't work now did it :-)

Don't fear Trump, he's not the madman that the media (and everyone who's running against him) makes him out to be.
    He's a brilliant businessman, a hard worker with lots of experience outside and on the fringes of the world of politics. He's not controlled by anyone, and he wants to protect our country and make life better for the American people first and foremost.

• TRUMP2016 I am voting for trump tomorrow in Florida! We need a person who is not a lying politician to win the presidency!

• Yeah a liar that's a business man is much better than a liar that's a politician...

• Politicians are the bottom of the pool for what people want. They are fed up with them so why not try a businessman that was successful in his lifetime :b

• Doesn't matter. The Republican party is dying. Even if trump gets the nomination he ain't gonna be elected

• I know that. Still didn't want him as nominee though. I THOUGHT moderates could take back the Republican party but nope.

• Rubio/Kasich if Red
    Bernie if Blu

• While I agree, I also knew they had no chance at nomination at this point. That's why I voted for Cruz, so that neither him nor Trump gets a majority and it goes to open voting, where Rubio/Kasich will be selected.

• Cruz is the Devil and worse than Trump which is why people are voting for him.

• Dude one vote doesn't affect anything. Just. vote for whoever you like.

• No playing the game is wrong.

• Most people just vote for the person they hate the least. It's pretty normal.