What do you think of parents who make their kids do there shopping for them while they wait in the car?

I've seen this happen quite a lot at my work, ill see kids shopping all by themselves and are given like a $20 bill or more and just have them do their shopping while the parents wait in the car.

what do you think of this?

• Goo parenting, itll teach them something valuable
  • Bad parenting, thats just lazy and i wouldn't do that with my kids
  • I dont care either way
  • I think something else (please say)

Most Helpful Girl

• Well what's the age of the kid? This sounds like a great idea haha as long as they're not like 4 or something. People are so fucking PC It's annoying. There's so many times I've been lazy and sent my kid to do shit for me, she's not at the shopping age yet but I'd prob do that when she's older. Right now she just grabs stuff for me like a glass of water or the laundry out of the machine. 1, kids like that responsibility feeling. 2, you work, clean, run errands, Dr's appointments etc. They can help out from time to time. I used to do shit like that for my mom, run and grab her Avon order down a few blocks away, drop off her mail in the mail box, go to the 711 to pick up stuff for her. I was 9/10 when I would do that for her and *gasp* I'd go by myself.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've never heard of such thing before but as you say it I find that really good parenting. Kids learn how to handle money, buy things they need maybe get to buy a treat for themselves aswell, and they learn to socialize at the counter while paying. Good parenting for sure. Ofc the parent chill in the car but the point of the whole thing is generally good.

What Girls Said 13

• I think that from a certain age, it could potentially be good, like when they're old enough that it's safer and they understand what they're doing to maybe teach them some responsibility and hey, they could go in without a shopping list and just the money and see if they can budget the family for a week or something. I'd have thought it was pretty cool as a kid but then I was barely allowed to do anything so pretty much everything was cool for me. Being allowed to choose my own clothes for the day was cool for me :P But when it's a tiny little kid being let in on their own then it's kinda fucked up.

• It depends on the child's age. No girl under 16 should go into the store alone without a sibling. I just don't think that's safe. Wal mart is full of creeps who love hooting and hollering at girls, especially in the summer when we wear shorts to stay cool. I want to be there to protect my daughter. My son could go at 16 alone. My daughter, maybe 18, depends on her moxy. But I wouldn't just sit in the car, that's lazy if I'm physically able. It's good to show her to avoid snacks and pick up healthy foods.

• Lol you go to a weird walmart.

• Lets hope you don't have a son.

• @Electronica dear god, why?

• I wouldn't know what to think of it. If the parent is just lazy, then why have kids at all? If they're trying to teach their child real life situations, I don't think they're approaching it from the right way. Children learn from observation. Monkey see monkey do as they say, they'll do what you do. Teaching them how to pick good produce is really a good idea. Teaching them to give or assist with the right amount of money is important too. It depends on how old they are aswell. If they're 14 and over, they're coming up to a stage where they can work soon and they'll need to buy their own things. Maybe giving them a budget is a good idea aswell (if a parent just gives them $20)..

But all in all.. Parenting techniques differ from parent to parent.

• Yeah, I did that. At age like 9 or 10 or whatever, I was still in elm school. My mom would give me a list and let me go get everything while she waited with my sibling or something in the car. A) not every kid needs to be sheltered and treated like little idiots. B) unless you live in a shit town, people used to be generally very nice and helpful and would help if you needed it. People might think its lazy but depending on the parent it could also help teach responsibility and how to buy things and ask adults for help. But nowadays it seems like people are getting worse and worse so it might actually not be prudent to send in children alone. People now are a lot more despicable for some reason and kids do seem a lot dumber.

• Sounds silly to me. The parents are being lazy, it seems. I mean, sure, send your kid to the store to grab a few things when they are teens if anything, but doing all of the shopping when the parent is right there is dumb.

• LOL sounds like me! hahah No I wouldn't do that BS. lol

• I think that's just stupid.. lol.. if you can wait in the car why not go in with them..

• Lazy ass parents. :D I say this because my mom does this a lot. So I always call her lazy for it. Though normally she will just give my brother a list and go to town and do the shopping for her. :D

• Well it depends. If it happens often then I'd think the parents were lazy. But if it were like once in a while I would think that maybe they're teaching their kids. It also depends on age.

• My heroes 🏆

• it s not a bad idea.
    gives them the chance to be a bit independent and do the work themselves.
    some kids are just too shy or careless, it s a good learning experience.

• I think it's a little strange. Probably depends on the age of the kids

• Could it be that the parent is staying in the car with a sleeping baby?
      I've never done this but I'd trust my daughter to once she's a couple years older.

• what age kids we talk about?

What Guys Said 12

• it's a fine decision for those parents. i don't think my mother would've really trusted me to get the stuff we needed as opposed to the stuff i wanted... but i do think it's a way to try and develop responsibility as well as a way for a younger person to learn the value of money in the real world

• Kids shopping learn a lot of things: compare prices, quality, watch consumption dates. When I was 6 or 7 my parents let me do the shopping in Italy. It was the way I started to learn the language.

• Honestly, this is the first time I hear of this kind of thing. But if it does happen then they are undoubtedly pretty lazy people.

• Thats gonna be me as a parent. My kids will be my little minions. lol jk

• I have a very different issue with that. I do not believe kids have the judgement or wisdom to buy the best or even the right stuff specially when it comes to clothes and shoes. I am totally against it till a certain age. Definitely a NO NO till at least middle of high school.

• I'd never do that to my daughter. I am her father and it's MY responsibility, not hers. My mom did that when I was a kid though, hated it.

• It's good, it's teaching them how to shop for themselves.

• I hate shopping, but I'd rather go grab a few things and be out the door in a few minutes through the express lane/self check out rather than sit in a car for an hour while someone that doesn't know where things are stumbles around forever.

• If their kids are young, their being unfit and lazy, but if their older their just being lazy.

• Why not let them do it? as long as the shop is known to be a safe one.

• It depends on how old the kid is and how much stuff they need to get

• at least they bring them to the supermarket