Do you cut others off while they're talking to say something?

I asked a female a question and tried to provide additional dialogue to my question, so it didn't seem vague. She replied to the question while I was providing the additional dialogue. I generally don't cut someone off in the middle of their sentence. So I would like feedback from everyone, is this a common occurring thing? Do you or someone you know cut people off while they're talking? And do you do it because you had something to interject into the convo or other answer?

Most Helpful Girl

• I dont mean to cut them off. I might interrupt to ask a question, and then tell them to continue. but the questions are related to what they are talking about. I just wonder a lot/get curious, so I can't help but ask question.

if a friend is talking about something that happened in their family, I would ask something like, "how did he react?" "ok go on."

Most Helpful Guy

• I rarely do it. As a student of linguistics I can tell you that this is not just an individual thing. It varies a lot on the culture you've grown up in. Linguistic attitudes and behaviors vary greatly across the world (and also within the US, since it's quite a melting pot). In my culture, it's generally a little frowned upon to interrupt people, so I've grown up not doing it too much.

What Girls Said 1

• Yeah I feel bad about it lol!

What Guys Said 3

• I automatically disagree with anyone who voices an opinion on any topic. I interrupt them ceaselessly and loudly in an attempt to cause them to turn beet red and hurl obscenities in my direction, or suffer other, more delightful forms of emotional breakdown. My favorite is when they sob and whimper, and must be led from the room by a loved one!

• Sometimes I just seem to cut someone of non-deliberately. The thought of inquiring becomes so strong in my mind, that I just blurt it out. Though, I make it a point to apologise immediately after doing so and asking the person to continue on.

On other occasions, I just interrupt someone for the purpose of inquiring solely due the the fact that I might forget the thought if they were to continue talking, I still apologise, but wait for a response from that person.

• No. Yes. No.