Is being called fat an insult?

• Yeah
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Nahhh word's only have power if you give them just that. If any one call's me fat so what lol I never his the fact that I'm a double sized chocolate milkshake. At the end of the day someone want's to eat ice cream out of my ass crack #LifeIsSweet #BigGirlsKillinEm 😎😎😎

Most Helpful Guy

• Not really, since fat people are the majority in America.

What Girls Said 16

• The majority of people take it as an insult.

I would. Even though I am very aware that I am very much not fat.

But maybe some people don't care or have accepted it or like it.

• It's a description. It's up to the person who is being called that to interpret it as they will, based upon whether they focus on the negative connotations that come along with it or not.

• It shouldn't be. However, due to the negative connotations, it usually is taken as such.

• Yes - if no one asked you and you're just being rude... then it's definitely an insult.
    Depends in what context and with what intentions it's being said.

• It can be! lol

• It can be used as one.

• I think it is rude to give negative criticism unless someone asks for your opinion.

• It's usually used in a derogatory way to insult people, or humiliate them

• No it's a compliment -_-

• Technically, no. But it's used as one 95% of the time.

• yeah.

• Not if you play American Football

• Yes, very much so.

• I don't see why calling someone fat is an insult, and calling someone ' skinny ' isn't.

• no, if it's the true, you will not call a person overweight skinny if she's not. She's fat no need to develop

• In some places people say fat/fatty just like darling and honey. Not offensive at all.

What Guys Said 14

• Yes because the general consensus is that it is an insult and it's usually used as one. Saying that it's just a description as @teawrecks does doesn't really work because that belief misses the social context. When I call a guy on the street "nigger", it's also just a description. Some racists even go as far to claim this. They say "well, n** just comes from the word negro which in Romance languages means black, so it's just a description of skin color". But obviously, when white people call black people "nigger" it's meant as an insult in 99,9% of cases, especially if the two people don't know each other. In the same way, the word "fat" carries a certain linguistic and social connotation. Words don't exist in a vacuum and you can't just say "well, it's just a collection of three letters and if you take it as an insult, it's your own fault". Language doesn't work that way. When I call someone "fat", I make a deliberate, conscious choice and pick this word over other words that would describe the same thing but with a different connotation. I'm not saying you have to lie about it and use euphemism such as "she's got strong bones" but it's normal decency in my opinion to call somebody "overweight" rather than "fat", just like it's normal decency to call someone "African American" or "black" instead of "nigger".

• It literally is JUST a description, factually speaking. DO people use it as an insult? Yes. But, if we're talking facts here, the word "fat" is used as a way to describe something.

i. e.: "the bacon had a lot of fat on it."

• @teawrecks First of all, don't confuse fat (noun) with fat (adjective). The former has a neutral connotation, the latter does not. Like I explained, connotation is what matters. If you think you can just look at words in a vacuum, you don't understand how language works (or your autistic). The word "fat" is used FOR its negative connotation and is thus by definition an insult. It is a descriptive term in theory (when you look it up in a grammar book) but we don't live in grammar books. Words have social meanings that go beyond the etymological meaning. These social meaning are JUST as important as the grammatical meaning and frequently they're in fact more important. By claiming that a it's just a descriptive term, you deliberately leave away that whole social meaning to suit your argument. I thought my example with "nigger vs. African American" made that clear. It's like saying "a woman is a person you can fuck". Yes, true description, HOWEVER that's not all there is to a woman.

• it certainly can be. i mean it's all a matter of who says it and context. fat can be stated objectively or subjectively and with or without negative intonation

• Well, insult is what you take, if you think that's an insult then it is, if you can ignore it and think it's nothing then it's not an insult, it depends as to how you look at it.

• depends.

• Most often it is.

• An observation or an insult or an observation used as an insult

• Yes, as former fat guy I do know that it can be used as an insult.

• Anything can be an insult but I suppose it depends on the context in which it's used and how sensitive you are to such things.

• it depends like if you carry 50lbs of fat then you are probably fat and that is not an insult... But extra few pounds hurt nobody right? Tho overall i don't like people sticking their noses in what i (do, have or think)

• I don't think so. Treating someone badly because of his/her weight is the insult.

But if you're overweight, sorry, you're fat. That's just a fair observation.

• Maybe, yes. However, you should do something about it if it's true.

• Not if you're fat.

• hehehe well lets say its not very descent to call someone fat. but if its the truth...

• How about being called skinny when you are at the BMI of 22, which is a normal body mass index.