Why do girls and maybe guys act like they don't like their crushes?

I know im guilty of this and I don't know if it's because of my age or not but I want to know why girls act like they don't like their crushes. My friend and I were talking about how we act towards our crushes and we don't act like we like them in fear of rejection but does it make sense to do that? How will you knowthey are intrested or know you are if you dont try and do guys do this too?

Most Helpful Guy

• This theory is called "reaction formation" which is when people act the opposite of the way they really feel happens most of the time with shy people they don't want their crushes to know that he/likes this person so tendency is they avoid them.

Most Helpful Girl

• If your priority is to date your crush, it's illogical. If your priority is to protect your self-esteem, it makes sense. So I think it comes down to confidence, in a way. People who don't believe their crush would do anything other than reject them are less likely to actually put themselves out there, but people who think they've got plenty to offer are more likely to take the risk, since they have hope for a positive outcome.

I choose to protect myself, personally. Workin' on it. >.>

What Guys Said 2

• Yeah guys do this too. Some do it because they don't want their friends messing with them about it, and some do it because they are scared what others might think about them liking that person, etc.

• Wait what? A girl likes me she will intentionally act like she doesn't?

What Girls Said 0