Think it would be racist to assume Asians are automatically good at video games?

Like they just have this innate ability to be good at them?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 9

• That's not racism... it's just stereotyping. And it's not true. I'm Asian and I'm horrifically shit at video games.

• LOOOL that's funny. Nah it's not racist

• Racist... No steretotyoical yes.

But hey white people can't dance, black people are good at sports, and Indians are terrorist am I right? So that stuff must be true about Asians 😂

• I wouldn't say it's racist, I would say it's stereotypical. Don't say this to them.

• I don't think Asians are more gifted, they just work harder than Westerners. If someone from the west worked just as hard or harder, they would be just as or more successful.

• Nope not racist... i guess just stereotypical :)
    plus, i bet no one is a better gamer then you.

• No they usually are

• It would be stereotypical, I would say.

• Yes...

What Guys Said 12

• Hmm... That's still a stereotype although not necessarily a negative one.

The reason why so many Asians are good at video games is because of the culture of discipline that almost every Asian national culture has, as well as the culture of "overachieving is the norm and the expectation".

Video games of any genre is a skill that can be honed, its algorithms for movement to button input is able to be manipulated.

ANY disciplined person is able to practice their technique in said video game to the point of being an elite player.

• This is one of those lesser-heard stereotypes. Maybe from my generation *hack wheeze* but nowadays there's just as many folks of other races sitting in basements pwning n00blars.

Depends on the game, too. If you want to go with sorta racist stereotypes, Chinese people are all gold farmers, Koreans are all dying in cafes playing Starcraft and Lineage, Japanese people don't care unless it's yet another Final Fantasy sequel full of prettyboys who say '...'

• Racist is hate towards a race, what you're doing isn't hating.
    It is stereotyping though.

• Not racists , I'll take the title then when my girlfriend kicks my ass at videogames I'll pretend to let her win. ;)

• Technically it's racial prejudice, but not necessarily racial discrimination.

• I wreck Japanese people at smash bros.
    It's because American parents allow more gaming and Asians are strict so less games.

• No, not at all. All races have their own stereotypes, whether true or not, they all have stereotypes, so it is not racist at all.

• But as an Asian, I disagree with such stereotype. There are many Whites and Blacks who earn high scores in games, at in colleges.

• Yeppppp

I've met my fair share of Asian n00bz

• Not racist but stereotypical

• come on... damn PC

• no they fucking are

• I think this is the acceptable type of stereotype. Sort of like assuming that black guys are good at sports and have big peepees. There isn't really any truth to it that goes with the race, but if the assumption is positive you're allowed to have it.