Does anyone else get an ego boost/feel superior every time someone hates on you?

Every time somebody disrespects me, hates on me, insults me, or even disagrees with me (if it's a topic I'm passionate about), I get a massive ego boost because I know that I'm superior to them and in the right.

Normal or not normal?

Most Helpful Girl

• Normal. Whenever someone (typically female) freaks at me for not being a feminist it makes me feel excited because I know they are just being dumb

Most Helpful Guy

• This is an abnormal defense mechanism that actually occurs quite often.

Google "superiority complex" and click the Wikipedia article.

If you receive an instant boost in your ego or consistent feelings of superiority in every argument or conflict you come into, then you are not reacting to whatever is being said, logically. Rather your mind attempts to combat cognitive dissonance or feelings of inferiority by over-compensating with an artificial inflation of self-worth.

What Girls Said 8

• I kind of see what your saying. I think it's a question of control. Like by them hating me it gives me control over their emotions. Which is funny if it's just random strangers on the internet. I guess I do feel superior to people who act this way because I don't feel the need to.

• If they hate on me, yes. If they disagree with me? No of course not, I'm not a douchebag

• Haha😊

• (laughing)
    Situation normal.

• uh I'm the other way around, it makes me question myself a lot ahah

• It's normal ur pretty much saying ur hate comments just only keep me stronger

• I feel like a lot of people must feel this way, explaining why folks are so damn mean on the Internet.

• i got depressive and I do my best for them to loving me and see how I'm sweet and all

What Guys Said 9

• When I see them insulting me and going out of their way to put me down, it gives me an ego boost, cause they're trying to do whatever to lower my level to theirs, showing how they believe I'm better than them.

Most of the time I do get an ego boost (like if I needed more xD).

• *Sips from my cup of Hater Tears* Um... no not really, hey if you don't got Haters then you may not be doing something right. People who don't follow the status quo and forge their own way usually end up successful. Along the way however there are going to be people who won't like you simply because you've 'escaped the 'rat race' and moved on to 'greener pastures'. The way I see it is I can let them get to me or I can keep doing what I'm doing and keep going higher.

To Do... or not To Do that is the question. I prefer to keep doing and ignore the Haters.

• I personally don't automatically think that I'm in the right but I do think that it's petty of them to act pissed off.

• You are neither superior or right, You are just a self-righteous pud with delusions of grandeur.

• Yeah I get that way sometimes. The way I figure it, if nobody hates you, you probably dont make much of an impression.

• The one upper mentality

• Nope.

• This is the worst post ever you f*cking idiot.

• Perfectly normal.