What do you do when your writing an essay and are losing motivation to finish?

Or when your stuck and losing hope you'll finish! I feel like i don't care anymore but I don't have a choice not to do it!

Done! Now onto the next essay!

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I always found my best ideas came when I had a shower. I'm not sure why, but they did. When I would lose motivation to finish, I would usually take a break. I would usually stop when I felt the writing was really hard and I was not having any fresh ideas. It was my body's sign of telling me I was thinking too hard and needed a break.

So I took one and came back refreshed with some good ideas.

Even if you don't have full ideas, jot down small things. Even a sentence or ideas for points you want to make. Doesn't have to be full sentences at all. It could be bullet points, but those will give you an outline of where the ideas are going and you can always finish it later.

Good luck!

What Guys Said 24

• An essay is basically a regurgitation of previously written information. The only trick is wording that information in an original enough way and citing sources enough to avoid plagiarism accusations.

So bite the bullet, grab a thesaurus, and just regurgitate. Then, at the end summarize every point you made into one paragraph and end it with a tired platitude.

I was an English major for all my time in community college and for two years at university. Writing essays kinda comes naturally to me, and naturally I am beyond tired of them.

• Add in a plot twist which requires a lot of explaining.

Like an essay about a detective story and the detective thinks he's solved the case but he hasn't really and it turns out it was actually himself who committed the crime the while time but he doesn't know that and then the rest of the story is about him trying to find the guy and when he realises it at the end, he kills himself.

• I take a breather - like 5 minutes off of the task. Then I turn on some epic music on youtube and continue on.

• I either take a break and do something active to let my mind take a break and focus on something else for a bit before returning or I find a good playlist/artist and power through

• lol i litteraly find my self in that situation every semester ^^ there´s not even the choice of losing motivation, as i procrastinate till it´s almost too late xD i just pull one or two all nighters and bullshit my way through it. it worked for me in the past.

• Go out in nature, take an hour to empty your head and relax, than try to concentrate on your story again.
    Good chance inspriration, and with it motivation, will come back :D
    Stress and getting inspiration what to write, do not go together :o

• I take a break... that's why I start early so you can break it up a little and does not become boring. Kind of start fresh and do shorter periods.

• you need to stop, even if you left it till the last minute. take a small break, and go back to it. it will clear your head.

• sorry to say i'm not much help on this because i graduated high school with out ever writing a term paper

• i read what you write so i get that feeling about you

• hahah! (: Maybe!

• 1|0
  • You leave for a while, refresh your reasoning and come back to it.

• If you don't finish it, then that's a guaranteed F grade. But if you stick through it, you could still get at least a D.

• Go to a writing center that can help you formulate ideas and be organized with your essay. It worked for me if I had trouble starting/finishing an essay.

• I just suck it up and finish it!

The most I would do is to take a break.

• I do it anyway

Not finishing essay>bad grade
    Bad grade> fail class
    Fail class>motivational loss
    No motivation> drop out
    Drop out>dead end job
    Dead end job> no twin turbo for me
    No twin turbo>depressiom

• I take a break or breather and set a timer for 15-30 minutes to collect myself

• i would take a break, and have a wander to regain my mental approach

• I stop writing it and text someone else to do it?

• Smoke a joint, have a coffee and listen to Tomsize

• I usually like to do it in a StarBucks. I find it a lot more motivating like that.

• You buck up and finish.

• I take a small break then go back to it later :)

• Take time out for a coffee. Caffiene stimulates your brain.

• Quit school and travel the world.

• lol Quit school? Are you gonna pay for all my ticket expense!

What Girls Said 9

• I look at the assignment guidelines where it says how much of my course's total grade that paper is worth (usually around 20-25%). Going to the on-campus library usually helps me put my game-face on and get things done. :P

• About ninety percent of the SACs i write are handed in incomplete. Yet i still manage to get scores above a D.

Assignments? (If thats what you mean by essay) i tend to finish it half heartedly. I usually get a comment from the teacher saying how i started off strongly but finished a little weak.

• Sometimes you just need to put it down for a bit and take a walk.

• What sort of essay? :- ) If possible, how about discussing it with someone who might be interested in your writings and get some motivation or inspiration from him/her? :-)

• I usually do them all last minute.
    "If I don't do this, I fail."
    That's my motivation.
    No breaks. I reward myself after.
    "When I'm done with this I can do ____"
    Whether it's hanging out with a friend, eating, or taking a nap.

• I normally listen to music while I'm doing it.. helps me, but it might not help everyone, some people could get distracted by the music ahah

• take a break and brainstorm.
    jot down phrases, words, doodles.

• I go and do something else for about 30 minutes then come back to it.

• I took a small music break