Would you consider the merit of an idea even if it came from someone who's clearly a racist, or sexist, or otherwise bigoted?

Or is it justified to dimiss both that person and any ideas they have as rubbish on grounds that the person is bigoted in some way?

As an example, pretend there's this guy who has said many obviously racist and prejudiced things, but in a completely unrelated area he has a great idea which would greatly benefit society. He's looking for a way to tell people about it and asks to present at a conference.

Do you think people should or would listen to him, or is it understandable to disqualify him from having a platform to speak because he's a racist? Keep in mind that it would be a speech at a public or private event, not just someone talking on the street. And also, do you think you'd hear him out, or walk out or protest before he started if he was allowed to speak at the event?

I have my own opinion, but just curious to see what other people think.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm very much in favor of the right of free speech, and will thus consider the merit of ideas offered by all people, regardless of personal profile. However, ideas emanating from bigots could only possibly offer merit should they involve their own maiming or demise.

Most Helpful Girl

• Trump?

• I wasn't thinking of him when I asked this, but sure that could be an example. Though I have doubts that he's actually a racist v. just pandering to prejudice he knows exists.

• I think Trump would say anything to be president.

• Probably true lol.

What Guys Said 3

• it is the height of foolishness to discard an intelligent idea or opinion just because you don't like the source.
    If it was pouring rain and and Hitler himself told me I should where a coat and carry my umbrella with me, I'm not going to stroll outside in shorts and a t-shirt, and get drenched, just to spite his nazi ass.

• Anything that is based on attributing behavior to physical sex, I dismiss it on principle.

That doesn't mean I dismiss EVERYTHING they say, but when they say "boys will be boys", or "that's how a woman shows her love" or something, then I just kinda ignore the sexist parts.

• An idea is an idea no matter how or where it came from. Whatevertist the person maybe, listen first you must

What Girls Said 0