Do you think Puerto Rico will become a state? Do you want it to become a state?

Apparently that's a thing and hey I don't see a downside. Yourselves?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Not going to happen.

A new state means 2 new senators and at least 1 representative in the house. As large as the house contingent is for the most populous states, these states are still under-represented in the house. Wyoming can't give up its 1 representative so that Puerto Rico can have one, that means that the under-represented states have to give up a House Member and become even more under represented.

Sparsely populated states won't want their influence diluted in the Senate. States with large populations won't want to lose even more influence in the House of Representatives.

These are the bodies that have to award statehood. They have no interest in doing so.

• wouldn't they just add reps?

• yeah, i added an extra 0 by accident.

nah. we are too stupid to have a direct democracy in place of a hor, but we should have 1 for straight elections and get rid of the party system bullshit. i think we should have 3 reps for the senate, too... but this is another debate for another day, i guess

• Thanks for the MHO.

What Girls Said 10

• No. I don't!

• I hope they don't since I rather them own themselves.

• It's cool, I don't see an issue with it I guess lol.

• As long as we get more land I'm good

They belong with us just as much as Texas does

• Don't know
    No they are poor

• It might I don't see why not I wouldn't mind if it did. It is really beautiful there.

• That has been talked about forever, I'm not sure if that will happen

• Don't rlly care... Go Puerto Rico!

• wtf this is so random and i dont give a shit

• This is so random? And you don't give a shit?

Why'd u share an opinion then?

• No just because I don't think it's necessary

• Well of course it's not NECESSARY!

But it will help with Puerto Rico's economy and expand our influence in the Caribbean!

• Calm down first of all child. Don't ask for people's opinions then expect them to agree with you. I could care less about PR's economy and westernizing the Caribbean. Annoying ass teenager. If you're gonna ask people for THEIR thoughts then be super biased, why even ask then? So like I said "No just because I don't think it's necessary"

• I absolutely think the U. S should either make all of it's territories states, or let them go. I don't think what we are currently doing is fair.

What Guys Said 18

• It should either become a full US state just like any other US state or it should become a sovereign, independent nation. Both would be okay in my opinion. I just don't like the situation now. At the moment it's almost like colonialism. It's kind of free but also kind of unfree... the current situation doesn't seem fair in my opinion. For example US territories such as the virgin islands or Puerto Rico are allowed to send a "representative" to Washington, however that representative is not allowed to vote. He is allowed to state his opinion on political issues but he's not allowed to vote, EVEN if the issue concern his own country. So this seems fucked up to me.

• The problem with Puerto Rico being just a territory just like all of America's territories is that they don't get a say in government even though they're technically owned by the United States. They don't have a fair deal while they aren't a state. They can vote for things but their votes don't really count. It's more like a suggestion. I think they should get statehood or they should be free to make their own decisions independent of the United States.

Hell the American Revolution was caused by lack of representation and we now do that same shit to territories technically under our care.

• Sure why not

• I wish it would become something other than a Green Room for the Florida Show!

• I don't care to be honest. Though I think 50 states is better, cause it's 50, not 51.

• Ey, I don't mind getting bigger! The bigger, the better!

• Yeah, but 50 is a round number xD It's like when you're putting gas to your car, and you want both the gallons and the price to be rounded hahaha
      But yeah, the bigger the better, even though I personally don't like Puerto Rico that much, well, Latin American countries in general.

• Well, I get what you mean. But to have THAT much influence and closer proximity to the Caribbean, it opens up new opportunities for the United States and the Americas

• I'd rather PR not become a state. I'd rather see it become independent.

• I don't know but I love PR ❤

• Yes make Puerto Rico and other US territories into States already.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CesHr99ezWE

• dislike.. dislike dislike :(

• so they don't have to deal with Murica.

• @WhatTheHellAmy They love America. They have representatives in Congress fighting for their right to vote.

• I dont see why they wouldn't. Think of the federal money and The investment that would happen if they joined the union. They would also have more access to the US economy.

• yeah, nice to finally have a 47th state. #questfor50

• No, it won't. I want it to, but it won't happen. The mainland United States could give a rats ass about it''s colonies.

• Yeah puerto rico will be a state in our lifetime

• What's odd is how small it is compared to most other states

• Its got a larger population than the states of montana, wyoming, and rhode island combined

• lol yah I just meant size/land-wise

But yah I mean I wouldn't mind!

• No. No. Puerto Rico just needs to be free.

• But they voted and they're in. Now it's up to us to decide whether to let them in or not, but they're willing.

• Look at how much Texas benefitted from becoming a state. Went from the Lone Star to the US annexing it

• If only they agreed...

• Sure, then it'd make traveling there easier I suppose.

• If you do that, then you lose all right to complain about Russia taking Ukraine.

• Puerto Rico voted. They want in. That comparison cannot be drawn.

Second, it BENEFITS Puerto Rico.

• So they defend theirs and you defend yours? And you just keep killing each other until there is nobody left to kill?
      You're just an immature and stupid child.

• HA I'm immature. Sure.

We're not the ones kidnapping innocent families, making demands to their governments. We're not the ones purposefully and only targeting the innocents, when innocents died there it was collateral damage, these terrorist attacks were aimed SPECIFICALLY at innocents. People worldwide agree the terrorist agenda is horrible. And cannot be compared to the American agenda. Sir, I do not believe you know what you're talking about, just being emotional.

• I would since I'm part Puerto Rican. Go be with my people lol

• Lol and u don't believe the US is evil or anything like half the other people answering this question?

• EVERY COUNTRY IS EVIL lol jk. Not really. I mean the US isn't as good as it could be. I think our country has more issues than obtaining another state.

• Yea, but hey, they're in bad debt!

• Call me an idiot... but I thought it was already...

• It's alright, brother. I hadn't heard of West Virginia till a while ago.

• I forsee no reason not to make Puerto Rico the 51st state in the union.