Is it possible to be a citizen of nowhere?

I am listed as Jamaican-American. If I take away both citizenships, will I be a citizen of nowhere?

• Nope.
  • Yes.

Most Helpful Guy

• Possible, but not sensible. Like voting for your own funeral. It's already against policy (though not technically illegal) to live off the grid in most of modern America. And I can't imagine disowning Jamaica would do you much good either.

Most Helpful Girl

• You want to be a citizen of somewhere. Being stateless is terrible and makes your life 1000X more difficult. Why would you want to give up your citizenship?

What Guys Said 5

• yup. In fact many people around the world has not state. They're stateless

• You'll have to be a citizen of Latvia then.

• no, since no country will accept you or defend you. i don't think it's technically possible to have no nationality.

• They'll send you away to a distant shore so you can make like an apeman.

• What's wrong with being an American citizen.

What Girls Said 1

• Not really. A court has to approve renunciation of citizenship. Thats hard even if you want to be exclusively a citizen of one country let alone stateless. You'd never find a judge to do it.