"Everything happens for a reason" - what are your thoughts on this saying?

The people you meet, the things you go through, the smiles you have, the tears you shed - they happen for a reason?

Most Helpful Guy

• The value of an assertion is in what difference it makes. If everything happens for a reason but it makes no difference because you can't figure out what the reason is and use the information to change anything then it is effectively as if everything happens for no reason.

I think when people use this phrase they usually mean it as a comfort that god or providence has a plan, that there is meaning and a kind of justice in the universal order. Again there is no evidence of this or any way to use the assertion objectively so there might as well not be. Any comfort it gives is a placebo effect.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah I believe it does whether we cross paths with someone to teach them a valuable lesson or vise versa. The things we go through are because of the choices we make and not just because of unfortunate events. Smiles always come after tears and without tears, I wouldn't appreciate experiencing joy and happiness.

What Guys Said 10

• it´s bullshit. yeah we can find scientific causes for most of the things we can observe around us. but the real "reason" as in "why" it happens will never be completely causal. and some point the chain of causality will just end and there is no reason any more.

• I wish I could believe that, and it would be nice to think that. But in my life I have come to realize that almost everything is just chance.

• some times it seems that way. but a lot of time i just think shut happens that are out of our control. its how you deal with it that shows your true Character

• 0|0
  • It is true from a physical standpoint; all outputs require an input even if it cannot be traced.

• I agree with this saying for 100%. But... sometimes Im sacred what will happen next for a reason..

• Everything matters because at the end of the day, we still die.

• Maybe but usually I call Bullshit

• yes everything does happen for a reason whether good or bad

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 3

• I believe that. Everything happens for a reason. It's a self lesson in itself or willingness to grow in the future

• It helps make some sense into things and sometimes makes it easier to overcome and get over tough issues.

• yes I agree up to a point