Can "wealthier" kids get depressed too?

The answer is obvious, yes, but I feel so stupid. I don't want to say spoiled because all the stuff that is nice and expensive that I own was bought with my own money.

I have pretty bad grades and with not caring in middle school and that involving my lack of self-discipline in high school, I've gone in a downward spike since freshman year. I've never felt adequate in school it seems, though in middle school and freshman year I was at the top, but still felt dumb.

Now I'm in a quite heavy depression, some harmful thoughts at some points, but mostly just having a complete shutdown or breakdown. I want a path to follow, I don't want to be the dumb kid who is just getting bad grades and playing his guitar in his room. THat's the only thing I have left that makes me happy.

Most Helpful Girl

• This is like asking "can anyone break their leg?" That's silly bro. Anyone can have a chemical imbalance or a crazy brain.

Let's make a plan from here, okay?
    1. Tell your parents you feel depressed and want help dealing with it.
    2. Tell them you want to see a therapist.
    3. Try to get to a better place for you.

You can do this and you can get better. Just ask for help :)

• I've already told them and nothing has really happened, they just ask how I am sometimes. I sometimes see the school therapist just cause, but he's more just someone to talk to.
      I think the only thing that could end this is to show myself and others that I'm on a path and not straggling in High School waiting for some mediocre future to pick me up.

• Well, you need to discuss that part with them then. They can't help you if you don't tell them about it you know?

• I guess, thanks for your help

Most Helpful Guy

• Well we were just shouted at a lot back in the day and we were never abused physically, but we all exhibited symptoms of depression and low self-esteem. So it can always be worse and it can always seem like it's already bad.

• I've been slapped and such plenty of times. I occasionally get yelled at, but not as often as before. I've become so "down" that I just sort of relive bad moments of my life in my head while he talks...

• Perfectionism for the sake of others will just make you miserable.

Here, check this out.
      www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/.../infopax.cfm

• But it's like for both of us. I know I'm on a horrible path, and I know that I'd like to make my parents proud, but there is no will in me

What Girls Said 1

• Ellot Rodger, look him up.

• Haha, alright alright, I'm not against others. Then I'd be some sort of emo guy. At least I listen to mostly happy 60s 70s rock

What Guys Said 2

• Of course!, child neglect is a problem no matter what the question, if people base who you are by objects or possessions they are buying into the hypocrisy. Short story is of course you can

• depression does not correlate with wealth, as depression isnĀ“t caused by logical, objective factors but by irational subjective feelings.