Is it hypocritical for a woman to be a feminist but also want a guy to be chivalrous?

She argues for women's rights and also want to date a guy who opens up the car door for her pushes in her chair etc

hypocritical?

0|0
1|15

Most Helpful Guy

• That's not hypocrisy -- that's feminism in a nutshell.

0|2
    0|0

What Guys Said 14

• Pretty much everything a feminist does or thinks or says is hypocritical. The very foundations of feminism are saturated in hypocrisy. "Shut up you stupid woman; you don't know what's best for you, but I do." "Women are so weak and stupid that they were subjugated without a peep for thousands of years by strong, powerful, intelligent men/Woman power!" etc. etc. etc.

0|3
    0|0
  • Feminists don't just fight for equal rights, they also fight against gender roles. If feminism had stopped with equal rights, and didn't butt into gender roles, that people choose to engage in, then it would be okay. The problem you are part of a movement that commonly fights against the very thing you claim to want. In fact the movement commonly accuse guys that do those things as being sexist. You can't support an organization like that, and still expect to enjoy gender roles when they suit you without it being hypocritical.

0|0
    0|0
  • it depends on what kind of feminist she is.
    if you simply stand for the general idea of legal equality and equality of opportunity for men and women, no there is nothing wrong with wanting to be treated like a lady.
    if you support the ideas of what most people think of when they heard the word "feminism" though? Modern third-wave feminists? Then, yes, it is hypocritical.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on how you look at it if your a woman who looks at chilvilry as a thing that focuses on the treatment of women then yes it is.

but if your a woman who see's chivalry for what it really is in that the code of chivalry in reality has barely anything to do with women it's a code of conduct towards men and soldiers on and off the battlefield and towards women off the battlefield. It is in a sense a code of rules and manners on how to act in various situations as well as having standards that one should strive to hold ones self up to. In all areas of life, then no it's not hypocritical.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Yes it is hypocritical. A guy could then claim he's for women's rights BUT he also expect the woman to bring him beer and sandwiches and for her to shut up when he's speaking. Would that be hypocritical? Of course it would.

0|2
    0|0
  • Yes, it is hypocritical. I was listening to a woman talking about feminism and agree with what she had to say.

0|0
    0|0
  • I honestly can't say. One of my big problems with feminism is that there's no unity of command, ideology, or purpose. Some people say that it's about equality with men, others that it's about subduing men, others that it's about female autonomy, and others that it's about sexual liberation.

My answer as to whether or not it would be hypocritical would depend on which school of thought you fall into.

0|0
    0|0
  • Supporting benevolent sexism as someone who wants to make both sexes equal is definitely hypocritical, yes.

0|1
    0|0
  • Feminists are usually hypocritical, haven't you noticed that they only care about equality when it suits women?

0|1
    0|0
  • Kinda yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • yea i think so

0|0
    0|0
  • What is a oxymoron?

0|0
    0|0
  • no, it's not. nothing wrong with hypocrisy.

0|0
    0|0
  • That depends on what "feminism" she describes to since it literally means just about anything nowadays which in essence means it's lost all definition good or bad.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• Yes. She might as well do it her self if she wants equal rights

0|1
    0|0