Religious people, why do some of you never stop talking about your God and try to convince us of stuff?

Some religious people never stop, they're stubborn as fuck, why can't you just accept I don't believe in the same things you do, why keep talking about it and try to change my mind when deep down you know you won't change shit.

Most Helpful Guy

• Some of atheists behave the same way too.

2 weeks ago, a girl I study with suggested that we go to eat somewhere (not a date or anything like that, just a friendly hangout)... I told her ok, and I suggested that we go to a Turkish restaurant. She said that has eaten in many Turkish restaurants and she don't want to eat Turkish food anywhere soon because he has eaten a lot of it recently and she suggested that we go to another restaurant. As a disclaimer: in the city were I live in, there are a couple of restaurants that are owned by Muslims ( manly Turkish restaurants) and the food there is halal. And as a Muslim, these are the only restaurants in the city that I would eat from there food. So I kindly told her that I can't go to that restaurant without telling her anything further. Then she was like "oh, I know why you don't want to go there, it's because you are Muslim and you don't eat pork and not halal food, you want it's sad for you that you believe in God, I don't have a god, that's why I can eat everything, you have a god and that's why you can't eat everything, why just why?"

I didn't want to get in any discussion with her about this so she doesn't think that I'm pushing my beliefs, even though she was the one that was pushing her views on me. So I just said: "ok, good for you, but I believe in God and following my religion is important to me"

• She really annoyed the heck out of me.

by the way I realize that I made many grammatical mistakes in this post. I'm too lazy to correct them but I'm sure you do understand what I'm saying.

• I'll tell you a trick. Pick a restaurant you don't know. Walk in and ask if the food there is halal. I guarantee they will say yes whether it is or not.
      It's not a sin to be deceived.
      Then your new friend might even start to think differently about you. If you know what I mean.

• @sexualchrist ha-ha too funny

Most Helpful Girl

• Because God calls us to spread His word. I personally don't, because I know people hate it, but I admit that when I have an atheist friend, it makes me sad to think of them not spending eternity in heaven. But there isn't really anything I can do to change their minds. Especially since most atheists seem to hate religion with a passion. I'm good as long as they don't ridicule me or my faith.

What Guys Said 35

• While I do not talk to people or try to convince people, unless they express that they are open to a discussion, and I agree with you that having people try to jam their faith down your throat is pretty damn annoying, take one moment and look at it from their view:

They believe that God has required them to spread the faith. They believe that anyone who accepts the faith will exist in paradise forever. They believe that those who hear "the truth," and reject it, are doomed to hell. They don't want ANYONE doomed to hell. They are trying to change your mind because they want to save you. By their belief, they still achieve salvation even if they never preach to anyone. They do not earn extra points by trying to convert you. They do that because they honestly believe it is their duty, and because they honestly fear for you and your future if you don't accept their message.

As overbearing, frustrating, an obnoxious as they are, they honestly feel like trying to talk to you will save you from whatever hell they believe in. I agree that they should respect that you don't want to hear, and move on. From Catholics to Lutherans, to Mormons, to many Muslims I've know, they've all tried to convert me. Trust me, I know it gets old. I'm not saying you should accept that they do it. I'm just saying there IS a reason, and it really isn't a hard one to understand.

• I was born in a religious family... minister mom and dedicated dad... i used to love church... until i graduated from the kids section to the adult one. then i realized it was full of shit. so i did the research. I was christian by the way...
    turns out, that is the fakest frickin religion with the most lies... it was kinda weird.
    so when people try to "preach" to me now... depending on my mood, i can either tell the im already a christian or fuck with them by interrogating them about their Bible... most of them don't even know the book as well as i do... its sad really.

• Because the Bible says to spread the word. But what the evangelist types don't seem to realize is they are a couple thousand years too late. The early Christians were told to spread the word when the religion was new and few people knew about it.

Now everyone knows about it. They ask idiotic questions like "Have you heard the word of God?" or "Did you know that Christ died for your sins?" Of course I know that you stupid moron! Everyone else you ask knows it also. If you want to preach to me, at least don't start off asking idiotic questions like that. I'm going to turn you away either way, but at least I won't think you as much of a fool.

• I don't think that they "know" they won't change anything. In some cases, they legitimately care about you and the condition of your immortal soul and they are doing what they think is best (I mean evangelization in general, not necessarily the means by which they do so).

Some might suggest that deep down, atheism "doesn't exist". Even as a believer, I don't quite see how that can be, but I digress. Even so, I don't buy it because I've had atheists try to convince me that my belief in God can be explained by biology and neuroscience... but again, I digress. Anyway, the point is that they might think that there's a shadow of doubt within your heart, or a proverbial mustard seed if you will, and they're trying to reach that.

And then of course, there are those who think that they have the Word of God and everyone who doesn't is SOL.

Does that make sense?

• From their perspective, they are trying to save you from a fate of eternal damnation.

From an external perspective, they are trying to indoctrinate you into their culturally defined shared delusion. A religion is validated only by its number of followers, after all.

• just give them the finger and walk away lol

• ANY group, from a country club, to a chess club at a high school, to a religion... is always aiming for growth to continue and grow its influence.

To do this, one must consistently aim to recruit new members (in Christianity this is called witnessing).

I do agree with you however. Some people try too hard and act too pushy with their religion!

• well a part of most religions is evangelizing which is spreading the word

• Non-religious people, why do some of you never stop talking about how stupid religion is and try to convince religious people of stuff?

• Can I baptize you now amy, omg you would make the water turn into mud with your sins omg you would make Holy water turn unholy lmao <3

• I'm assuming it's because they have the idea that you're making a huge mistake and that your life is incomplete if you don't believe.
    Or someshit like that.

• I agree. I find/think non religious people are far more accepting of other peoples beliefs than religious people are of others. Which makes no sense. I think religion is the true "evil" I honestly believe this, not just saying it. I could go on and on about why I believe this but I won't.

• God was an Alien and in most religions there are Gods (plural) in flying machines (e. g. Ezekiel chapter 1), I find it amusing that when I am cornered by a God botherer and explain that theory there is instant rejection of it. Very closed minded I think.

• Agree with yo, even i know there is nothing exist called god, but people do exist. Therefore we must care of people 's feelings. So next time if you found anyone like this then just respect them bcoz they are human and at some point they can help you and vice versa. Better to have no enemies.

• Think of it like this

There's a train

You are stuck in concrete
    We have the key

We want yiu to get out

While you keep saying there's no train

People want to avoid hell, some people are assholes about God others just care

All you gotta do is ignore it or convert lol

• Because it is written right in the bible, etc., to try and recruit other people...

I don't condone that shit... if the person wants to then fine, but don't push it or peddle it.

• Because meat in the seats means money in the plates. Many of the mega-church preachers have to pay for their lavish lifestyles somehow. :-(

• Wow Amy. I'm twuly disappointed

Barely any sensible ones do it. It's the like 1% that do this. The idiot spectrum.

• lol dude no, in Mexico they always do this crap, they knock my door every freaking day, I had to tell them I'm an atheist (I lied lol)

• Lol when they come by they ask me about my faith in God. Each question I just answer: "Nope. Now get off my property."

• I will do that too now

• I fucking hate it. I respect other peoples beliefs and I expect them to do the same with mine. Don't try to convert someone, it will only cause trouble

• lol you're generalizing big time here. I'm not religious, but I do have my beliefs, and I believe in God. Honestly, I could care less what anyone else thinks about it so I rarely mention it.

Quite honestly, some of my atheist friends target me about it and start asking questions. They generally like my points of view though they don't agree. That's enough existential talk for me, and I have no interest in bringing that to gag lol

Quite frankly, I can say the same thing about some of my friends and claim all atheists want to convince us there is nothing out there, which isn't the case.

• Spreading the word of God. You know. When you believe, you have nothing to lose. I think people are just afraid if you don't believe in some God that's why they try to convince you.

• I think religious people are just followers that can't think on their own. So, they need something that does not exist to make decisions for them. It's so pathetic. I always give them the finger or the hand.

• To be fair, I think this is one of those topics that people from all walks of life try to impress upon others.

For example, I've heard many an atheist say some very demeaning things to Christians. And on the flip side, I've seen some Christians acting very un-Christian-like -- very 'holier than thou.'

• And some atheists can't stop talking about how god doesn't exist 😄

• For all anyone knows we could be human batteries plugged into the Matrix! Until you can convince me that that isn't true, you can't convince me of shit! And if I am living in a dream... Don't bother waking me up!!

• I don't know why people do it,
    Its not just religious people either

• I am Christian, but I accept other people. Even if they are burning in Hell really still.

• For the same reason that atheists try to push on believers that there is no good. The desperate need to be right and appeal to their own egos by doing so.

• That's why they're fighting in name of their gods. They're like that.

• cos religious people are stupid. and hypocrites...

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 17

• Same reason why some atheist never shut up about there not being a God and going out of their way to argue with any person that even mentions God and their beliefs. There are extremists on both sides. It isn't just people that believe in God. You respect me and my beliefs and I'll respect you and yours. That simple.

• I talk about my God because it's part of who I am and important to me. You don't like it? Whatever you don't have to but I'm not going to censor myself because people might get butthurt about who I am. No offense.

• People don't share the same views I do, whatever, I respect that. But people need to understand that I want respect for my beliefs too, and that no matter how much you talk about it, I won't change my mind. Why keep trying and not moving on? Why keep bothering that I'll burn in hell? if I do it, whatever right?

• I think that it might be important that we look at this from the view of others. I agree with most of what you have to say, but i believe there is more to it.
      We must also remember what the punishment is for people who do not try and follow the path to righteousness; if i loved you, i think i would try and get you on that path every moment of every day.
      Just something to consider.

• @NedfromtheNed I very much agree with what you're saying.

• i've had more atheists disrespect me and my beliefs than anyone of a different religion. here and in real life. go look up a question on religion and observe the amount of shit the atheists here throw at anyone with a belief.

also, a large proportion of religious people aren't like that, so don't let the idiots decide your perception of the world. i saw u saying on someone's opinion that it's common in mexico. . . we don't all live in mexico, and the world is bigger than mexico.

• Haha I don't know tbh.. I personally don't go around and talk about religion unless a person initiates it and I don't try to convert people.
    I've had a couple of people ask me questions and stuff because they were thinking of converting but they already had the thought before talking to me, I never try to convert people, it doesn't work that way, it's stupid... stuff like that comes within a person.

• Yup I hate it!

• why do some athiests try and convince religious people that there is no god? everyone wants people to see their logic but no one wants to see anyone else's.

• It could be several reasons. Two of the main ones I can think of is:
    1) They really don't want you to go to hell
    2) They're the kind of people who like to push their opinions in other people's faces

Being a Christian, I understand the want to lead people to Christianity and I do not want people to go to hell, but I think there comes a certain point where you've done all you can and you need to move on.

• Glad that you added some of you there

My sensors were starting to go ding ding ding lol

I am calm now :) :D

• Not everyone is like that...
    God is so important in my life, but I don't go trying to convince people, like... I'd rather show it with my actions zsi jb

• I love this solution my boyfriend told me a music store had for this priest rambling in the street. He was going on how god is everything, blah blah blah. Apparently the store owner went and turned on this marilyn manson. Needless to say the priest ran for the hills. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0bWRpK3A2g

• Hahaha about two weeks I was doing yoga in my living room and was blaring my classic rock and the Mormons came by needless to say they were gone by the time I opened the door.

• I used to be Christian (now I am atheist) and my private school told me I had to try and convert as many people as possible or else they will go to hell and it will be my fault. Now I know that is bullshit. It pisses me off that religious people go so far in spreading the word, they think the world revolves around them and try to make as many laws of a country how God would like it. Especially when America absolutely is not a Christian nation so why should laws of America revolve around a religion not everyone believes in?

• The extreme christians think the non believers are in the spell of the devil.

• Well, thats just not true.

• "Ah i got told I'm the devil cos i'm a non believer."
      I reckon you were not told that by every man, women, and child of Israel; thusly, you judge a population by the acts of a few.
      My conclusions are pretty easy to follow, in all honesty.

• Your weird. Im talking to asker about my experiences. So your gibbrish has nothing to do with me.

• Their religious doctrines teach them they're supposed to spread religion

• Because one of the goals of religion has always been to help 'recruit' more people for the religion they follow.

I would say to just be blunt with them and tell them that you have your beliefs and I have mine. End of story.

• lol, aethiest i seen always go full on in to attack when you talk about your beleifs. But i could also ask why do aethiest have christian beleif systems? It doesn't make sense to me at all. Like no stealing, raping, adultery, treating those the way you want to be treated... etc But yea, Yeshua said educate people, you ain't gotta listen but at least they are trying.

• I love God and I love talking about Him. I could talk about Him all day lol 😊

• Dont all people do that no matter the group they come from? LGBT, femanazis, democrats... lol. etc