So the critics hated Batman v. Superman, but DC fans LOVED it, are you watching it?

It's been a long time since I've seen such divisive reviews. I just find it interesting to read both sides of the spectrum before watching comic book movies. I like to get a good idea of the movies I'm watching from a mere cinematographic standpoint, from movie critics, to what the fans who know the comic books have to say.

Critics trashed the movie, basically, holding a 38% in RottenTomatoes and a score of 47 in Metacritic.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice

The DC fans, however, seem to love the movie with a score currently of 8.8/10.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2975590/

So what should we expect in your opinion, are you watching it?

Most Helpful Girl

• Saw it tonight. I thought it was good, and had some very satisfying moments, but overall it wasn't as special as I'd hoped. Maybe my expectations were too high lol.

Some criticisms...

1) I think there was a lack of depth, and they didn't properly flesh out why there's animosity between the two - why they're fighting. There's a profound difference in the way they view the world and justice, but the movie seemed to only scratch the surface of that. As a result their fighting seems petty.

2) You never really get what's motivating Lex to do everything he does. Why is he so bent on all this destruction and targeting of superman? In the comics you could site his world domination ambition and Superman's habit of thwarting that, or the bad blood in their shared past. They never introduce any of that though, so he just appears out of nowhere and all we get are his ramblings about God and power. And basically we get the impression he's just a genius madman with no real rhyme or reason for his actions.

3) There's very little comedic relief, it's mostly all very serious and brooding.

Wonder Woman was great though, and Lex, despite the lack of background, was played well. Amy Adams was again a really good Lois Lane. Affleck and Cavill played their parts well too - their acting was pretty good, just the storyline they had to abide by wasn't as great. Also there were some great action scenes and they made the fights between Batman and Superman equally difficult for both of them, pitting superhuman powers against intelligently made gadgets and strategy.

• Saw the movie last night and I have to say I agree with pretty much everything your said.

The only couple of criticisms I'll add is that this is definitely not the Batman from the Arkham games (other than fighting style), since he clearly doesn't have the same moral code. And also, a couple of things were very obviously shoehorned to introduce the already expanding DC Universe. Pretty close to what they did with Avenger's Age Of Ultron, with the scenes added to set up for the upcoming Thor Ragnarok movie.

All in all, though not perfect, a very solid film. I would give it a 7, maybe an 8 but I HAVE to watch it again just to be sure haha

• Yeah, a 7 or 8 sounds about right! Glad we agree haha

Most Helpful Guy

• Not all DC fans are loving this movie unfortunately. I've heard they took some liberties with the characters and had them do some things that their comic book counterparts would NEVER do. The same controversy surrounding it is the same controversy that surrounded MoS and what fans thought about some of Supes actions in that film.

What Girls Said 11

• I'd imagine that comic fans would be more excited for it anyways, since its pretty much one of the most debated pairings. For movies based on books or comics, I'll follow the fans because at this point effects and stuff are gonna be good, but what I want is for the characters to be like I know them from whatever media they're from. I feel like critics are judging movies for the general population, taking into account people that might not have an idea what a batman is (are there people like that? I can't even fathom), so their criteria for a good movie might not be the same as mine. I'll see it, begrudgingly. Just wanna know how much prep time batman actually gets.

• I agree. Some movies are simply... entertaining, but some critics disregard blockbusters because they are not "arthouse" enough, or lack a social commentary, or the characters are "underdeveloped", and specially when it comes to comics which most aren't familiar with. Fans have the Arkham games, The Dark Knight Returns comic, the animated series and many other sources to compare to what is depicted on the screen, and they base themselves on that.

• Of course; critics have a bad tendency of having sticks permanently wedged up their asses so I watch shit that interests me, their gabber means nothing to me.

• No, it looks like a mess tbh haha. I feel like the story line will suck but the fight scenes will be good. But there is too much going on for my liking. They could have made like 3 separate movies with all the characters they're including.
    Not worth 3 hours or so of my time lol.

• Yeah, one of the criticisms is definitely that it has a convoluted plot and that there isn't much character development. Hopefully, the fights are at least better than the ones from MoS.

• I haven't watched it yet.. but I do plan to

• Yes, I'm definitely gonna go watch it, I don't care about the critics. I hope I can go on Saturday or Monday!

• Fan opinions weight more than the critics's, because the fans are the ones who keep the storytelling alive.

• I was planning on watching it

And if the die hard dc comic fans loved it, I sure will

• and I just decided that I will watch it in about half an hour from now :)

I honestly didn't know it had already been leaked to the internet, so yuppie :D

• The Dark Knight trilogy was amazing, and yes Bale was pretty good in the role, though quite different than anything in the comics.
      #teambatman 😉

• Oh. I guess I should read the comics lol

Batman ftw lol

• Of course... I'm gonna watch it either way

• Oh yeah, definitely. I love batman, so can't miss it haha

• I havnt seen it yet but saw the trailer for it but honestly its doesn't seem anything good.

• I watched it and I didn't like it
    too much non sense going on

What Guys Said 10

• Well... There are cases in which it's bad as a movie, but good as "fan service".

I'll have to watch and draw my own conclusions, but I'm not excited about it. The DC films don't have the same level of coherence Marvel's MCU has, for multiple reasons.

• I agree. MoS is kind of hit or miss for me (Snyder films are, in general), but I absolutely love Watchmen. I'm trying to keep my hopes down though, so we'll see.

• I tend not to take critics for their word.

I'm on the fence because I dislike all of zachs films. They are overreliant on CGI and complete eye sores.

The marvel movies use a lot as well, but it looks real. Zach tries to make it look like I came right out of the comic book.

I'll see it, but combine that with batfleck and bleh

• Yes, he gets overboard with the CGI and the action. I generally liked MoS except for the last 45 min of explosions and fights which definitely get overbearing.

Baffleck is fine, at least people said he is one of the things that save the movie.

• I will see it, but it'll be a few days. You know, with March 25th being Good Friday and all...

• Not in cinema. I might watch it on DVD one day or so, but didn't find the trailer any appealing and the actors for Womder Women and Batman simply unfitting.

• I still have my thoughts on WW, but I've always supported Batffleck ever since they announced it.

• Gonna watch it after tomorrow

• Havn't watched it yet. Planning to see it this Friday.

• Should expect a fun and visually cool movie that self-deluded critics hate on principle.

• Critics did praised the first Avengers film, and Guardians Of The Galaxy, though. And most of Marvel's films have average to good ratings so maybe it's Snyder's universe what they have a bias against? Same thing with Michael Bay films, critics hate them.

• Yeah, It's a gamble.

• I really don't understand how such movies continue to sell. I can't see whats so interesting about them. No substance, no plot. You can predict almost the whole movie. Like in music, people just open their mouths and swallow every piece of trash the industry is serving them. And now Star Wars has become like this as well, thanks to fucking Disney. It's all about the money without giving anything of quality for the audience.

• I'm a fan of comic books, and I've always been. To me personally, I didn't really had any of this as a kid, other than Tim Burton's Batman and Donner's Superman lol. I guess it's just great to have what you've been reading since being a kid in the big screen. You just have to appreciate the comics and what they teach, to appreciate the films.

Nostalgia aside. Not all superhero movies are good, there are movies that suck as well just as any other genre of films. For example, the first two Terminator films, or the first two Alien films were great quality sci-fi movies, unfortunately, the remainder of both franchises were never as good. Same thing can be said about hero films. There are The Dark Knights, and then there are The Green Lanterns, The Watchmens, and The Fantastic Fours... vastly different qualities in there.

• 0|0
  • who cares about what critics say anyway?

• Eh, they just give a general idea of what to expect. Doesn't mean reviews will determine how you perceive the movie when you watch it.