Do you believe in god? Why or Why not?

Trying to start my first debate but don't know how this will go lol.

I ask this question because i find it interesting and want to know how many people believe in god and also the age groups. For me i do believe in god (jesus to be more descriptive).

There is lots of proof that backs up the bible (or quran) in historic events, future predictions, physical places on earth and stories of the scriptures which science proves true. For people who say the bible or quran is "just a book" and jesus is a "made up chraracter"... tell me why is jesus mentioned in both of these? If you do not beleive in god or the after life... why are you living? what is the purpose? These are just some questions i have for the athiests.

I can try to combat questions but as with my girlfriend i always lose the argument :p XD but in this case i will try my best to argue if need be :)

Not sure how this will turn out but i will be giving it a try haha. Interested to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions!

• Yes i believe in god
  • No i don't
THANK YOU for the votes and everything! I found this interesting and also the opinions.

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe in god (catholic), i mean, can someone explain to me how we are living on earth in a galaxy where a sun and moon are placed exactly where they should be for us to be alive? If the earth would be placed just a little bit differently we'd freeze or burn.
    Who knew that we need plants to breath and water to drink , coincidence? I don't think so.

• exactly haha

• I replied with this on another person's response in this thread but it fits so I'm just going to paste it here too:
      Well if you consider our planet's position, it's the only reason it has life. Think about it. Sooooo many planets in the universe, so one is bound to be in this "Goldilocks zone" made for habitation. Now if Earth wasn't in this perfect zone but somewhere light years away in another galaxy, there was another planet in its solar system's area suitable for life, any advanced life forms on that planet would be having the same thoughts as you: "I just think it's a bit odd how we ended up perfectly in this livable zone". It's not that WE ended up here, it's just that a certain planet somewhere in the universe (which happened to be Earth) just so happened to be in the right spot for life, so life grew. And that makes sense, since there's bound to be at least a few planets that can support life out of the vast number of inhabitable planets.

• @Blackbear3421 no that's nonsense, why is there no other planet placed perfectly where we are then? It's not this spot that's be perfect but there's still no other planet that's placed perfectly and even if other planets are placed here they wouldn't be able to have as much life as earth that's a fact, soooooooo many "creatures" out of coincidence? Just like evolution if we'd be apes they'd have already all developed to humans, and no one ever saw an ape in the middle of developing into a human, have you ever seen some homo erectus? Well i didn't.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 24

• Nah, I don't. I don't think that the bible and other religious texts are proof - I study ancient history, I read a lot of sources that mention gods from different cultures. I consider these to be mythology, the same way I think of religious texts like the bible. I mean, I was raised to be Christian but it just didn't feel right for me. I think that there's no proof god exists, there's no conclusive evidence, though I also believe there's no proof that god doesn't exist. Neither are 100% certain.

I'm not living for a purpose. I don't think I was put here by some whim of a divine being. I just... Exist. I enjoy myself and I work and I get through day by day, but I don't feel like I need to fulfil some reason for living.

• Everyone needs "proof". If you seen a miracle happen, that is your proof. The ancient scriptures that were found are proof. Do you believe in heaven or hell? You think when you pass away you will rot in the ground and your purpose in life was that? (not saying this in a angry tone)

• No, this is your POV. My POV is that hell is a mythology. Early Christians didn't believe it. And I as an atheist don't believe it. But, if it did exist I don't have the conscious to allow my child to go to hell why I enjoy heaven. You do. That's what your POV implies.

• Cool, what history do you study?

• I don't believe in god, or gods. I'm more apatheist and agnostic. So I think it's a bit arrogant to say definitely yes or no there isn't/is a god (s).

And my apatheist side comes out because even if there were a god, I wouldn't really care. I doubt an all powerful being would be distraught if a miniscule human didn't worship it.

As for your questions, Zeus is mentioned in multiple sources, is he real? Hell, even Spider-Man is mentioned in different sources, is he real? This isn't to mock you, it's just that the way I see it, you can tell a lie a million times by millions of people, but it doesn't make it true.

Why am I living? Because my mom and dad had unprotected sex and then my mom gave birth to me. And I haven't died or killed myself yet.

What is the purpose of life? Not sure. I don't think anyone knows even the philosophical purpose. Because biologically, it seems to reproduce and continue the species. But then people are born gay or asexual or sterile/infertile or some just don't want kids. So what's our purpose? Who knows.

I also find afterlife to be very boring. Like, I can't imagine running a race with no finish line. If it's real, I hope I just cease to exist when I die. I don't want anything more, I don't get people's obsession of living forever. Even if I am young forever, like in my 20s forever, that's still creepy and pointless. Your paradise is my hell.

• Also, what is your purpose? What do you think we're here for?

I don't care for religions because I see them cause more harm than good, and I'm talking about past and present.
      I'm not going to actively try to stop them, but I wouldn't ever want to be part of one.
      I do like some traditions and holidays of them though and my family is religious so I'll celebrate with them.

I try my best to be a good person, and if that's not enough to keep me from hell (assuming all that crap exists), then we aren't dealing with benevolent deities now are we?

• But these "sins" are arbitrary and outdated now. I can't believe rape isn't a sin or part of the 10 commandments, not explicitly at least (from the little that I know of Abrahamic religions).
      And these "sins" were written by men in power to keep people in check. I'm not for that, and most don't even apply to us. Pork is safe to eat now, but I can see why back then it'd be better to avoid eating it.
      The population now is pretty much ok and stable, but back then I could see why they would be against abortion and gays.

But you are worshipping yourself. If you're praying to do good on an exam, then you go and study for the exam, and you pass - that was your efforts. If you pray again and "thank" god for passing this exam, you just thanked yourself because you did it.
      If it serves for emotional help, then that's good for you. But do something as well, because prayer alone accomplishes nothing.

• rape is a sin, it is mentioned in the bible as one. The 10 commandments are commandments but there are more sins than those 10.

Lol, i can't say today's society is good. I feel it's at it's worst in all honesty.

I can see where you're coming from, from the exam standpoint, but for me it helps, but how about miracles? praying for a miracle is god at work i would say.

• I don't believe in a personal God or a willful transcendental designer.

I believe in the existence of a substance which contains every and all idea, and I call it God.

A rose has a seed. I'm a petal, calling the seed God.
    49.media.tumblr.com/.../...q839mf1s2mmayo1_400.gif

It does not mean the seed had any freedom or in that matter, free will, in creating the rose. it is the rose.

• I don't believe in God.
    ~Jesus was a person, most people won't deny that, probably a great dude, not the son of God though.
    ~There is no proof of God.
    ~The reason there are so many religious people is because religion was a big thing back when we couldn't explain anything like death, disease, etc. It is human nature to seek comfort, even if it is something totally made up.
    ~The Bible was written by a ton of random dudes who literally could've written anything and people would've believed it as long as they said it was "the word of God himself" ("who only we and a few others can conveniently hear").
    ~God was used as a reason to opress basically anyone who wasn't a straight man (who was also usually European and Christian).
    ~You keep asking "where do you go where you die" no one knows, you don't know either dude, you BELIEVE we go to heaven or hell but you don't know. Others BELIEVE in reincarnation, but they don't know. Nobody knows. It's that easy.

These are just a few points I'd like to make based off your counter arguments. Religion is fine and all but you act as if it's the "correct" thing, which is not fine. To each his own, believe what you want to believe and I'll do the same.

• Oh yeah and you keep asking "what is the purpose of living than", dude you don't have an actual answer for that either, you keep asking all these questions that have no actual answer, that does absolutely nothing for your argument. In fact it makes it seem weaker because you don't offer any other counter points.

You keep saying that miracles are proof, actually, most "miracles" can be explained scientifically. And you keep asking why we need proof anyways. Maybe because that's how debates work? You need evidence to back up claims, I get that religion is based around faith, but now a days we have science which is generally more stable and consistent than faith.

• It's okay dude, like I said, everyone should believe what they want to believe. There are two things in this world people will never agree on and that's religion and politics and those are the things we always debate lol.

• true that lol

• No I don't, and I see no reason to.

• when you pass away where will you go?

• @asked, there are more religious people in the world than atheists, but not for the reasons you may think. I believe this is why:
      1) Religion dates back to the paleolithic era, while atheism is vastly younger in comparison
      2) Christianity was founded on the backs of the lower class, those who struggled and had little to hope for. The promise of a heavenly afterlife if one was devoted to Jesus appealed to many of them. Fast forward to today, and Christianity has penetrated the hearts and homes of a wider variety of people. But consider the following: over a half of the world's population lies in developing countries where people live off of less than $10 a day; they work strenuously but still it is not enough, as they lack homes, food, clean water, medicine; they end up riddled with disease and left with no hope. But they have their religion, with the promise of a beautiful afterlife, to keep them from losing all will to live. So they devote themselves wholly to religion.

• cont. 4) Many people in developing countries have not been exposed to the vast culture and development of western society that sparked an ideal like atheism. Examples of these things: numerous scientific discoveries, contemplative and analytical literature that dared to challenge and question the set views on a higher power, or the philosophies of the enlightenment period.

So yeah that's what I think, but I support the tolerance of everyone's beliefs on religion so long as they leave them out of politics and don't force their ideals onto others. That being said, I figure I'd let you know that I consider myself agnostic but I lean more towards the atheist side. I don't know for sure that a god does or doesn't exist, but I can't deny my need for evidence in order to wholly believe in one.

• Yes I do. A lot of people talk about religion being forced. I grew up with a Christian mom and Jehovahs Witness dad. I attended both church and the Kingdom Hall. I studied with my Mom and my dad. And I felt more drawn towards Christianity. It was never forced on me. I read and understood myself. I know God for myself. I believe He's real because I've felt His presence. A lot of people will try to discredit that and that's fine. We are all Bron with free will. We can choose to believe or not to believe. God doesn't want us to force Him on anyone. They have to want to believe themselves. All we can do is tell them.

• nice :) i wasn't forced either. i read and learned and believed. You don't need to see "evidence" to believe in god as some people say. If they have seen a miracle, that was god at work. True with your last sentence.

• The whole point is to walk by faith and not by sight. Believing is so much more than just seeing.

• I think it was written by someone who was literate centuries ago who go so sick of the evil and glumness and cruelty of the world, if you look back at history you'll understand why. People needed hope, people have always searched for that one thing to hope for. And someone created the whole of the Bible stories, like a novel and eventually it got passed down and spread and has been changed and edited over time- But no I don't think God's real. In, my opinion science is proving religion- Every religion wrong but interpret that as you will.
    However, part of me thinks the planet is too perfect- Like the exact position of the Earth and how it is in such a perfect place that it can hold life and other planets can't. That seems too perfect for it to just be by chance from rocks crashing- That is the only part of me that questions an ultimate beings existence.

• god spoke and so many people wrote about the bible. 40 people over 1500 years. Those people surely knew something. Jesus is also mentioned in the quran. To me if god made the world and everything in it, so science was mad under god and everyone that contributed to it. Albert Einstein said "Science without Religion Is Lame, Religion without Science Is Blind".

Im not dyning scince or evolution, infact if god made the earth, everything had to evolve. We all are evolving anf will do so. YEs you're correct in the planetary judgement. Why are we not too more to the left or right? if we wer, e we would all be dead. I believe god crreated the big band and the universe, as the first verse in the bible said "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth"

ALso both the quran and bible talk about the angel gabriel, surely the new and old testiment were not a "storybook" over 1500 years. That is my thought on it.

Are you parents religious?

• Well if you consider our planet's position, it's the only reason it has life. Think about it. Sooooo many planets in the universe, so one is bound to be in this "Goldilocks zone" made for habitation. Now if Earth wasn't in this perfect zone but somewhere light years away in another galaxy, there was another planet in its solar system's area suitable for life, any advanced life forms on that planet would be having the same thoughts as you: "I just think it's a bit odd how we ended up perfectly in this livable zone". It's not that WE ended up here, it's just that a certain planet somewhere in the universe (which happened to be Earth) just so happened to be in the right spot for life, so life grew. And that makes sense, since there's bound to be at least a few planets that can support life out of the vast number of inhabitable planets.

• I think most historians agree that Jesus was a real person. That doesn't mean that he was a deity or the sun of a deity. You can be an evangelist without being divine.

• Organised religions has people thinking the god we adhere to is a human or a physical god but the clergy and priests are making up the rules. And these rules make people feel suppressed, repressed and emotionally distorted. I'll be vague in my interpretation of god.. it's formless to say the least.

• I have no desire to argue with you. But where does God live and where is heaven? What is his address? Does he do email?

• it's a belief thing. I can't answer that for certain

• ''The problem with people of faith as they don't accomplish anything"
      Well thats just not true. I hope you have enough sense to know that.

• i have no desire to argue with you BUT...
      lol. lol @ you.

• No I don't!

• Yes, I believe in God. It's a conviction based on faith rather than dogma. I don't like debating about religion because to me, religion is a part of my private life. I hate proselytism.

All that matters is that, as a citizen, I make decisions from a secular perspective.

• Not in the form of a being. Only because I have no personal reason to. I've never interacted with any god so why should I believe one exists?

• eveyrone needs "proof" lol but the definition of faith is "based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof", in terms of a good. I have faith i can say. If god is all around us, surely you interacted with the people (your friends) he has created ;) What if i said god is a "lifeform", not a being. Someone you can't see?

• I would have an easier time wrapping my head around that idea. I'm a very spiritual person. Some people believe god is in everything we do and I will say on a warm sunny days like this, sitting around doing nothing special with people I love and the breeze coming through the window.. I could feel that in the natural simplicity of moments like these

• I just don't believe that there is a higher power above me.

• Yessssss

• I don't know if he exists or doesn't exist as I am Agnostic. Seems like the most logical conclusion since I never died before.

• I believe in a designer/maker/creator, but just that.

• I believe in a creator of the universe but not a personal god.

• interesting. So just a creator? not god. saying that god created the universe would be wrong?

• I don't believe in the God of Abraham if that's what you're asking.

• Yes I do

• Yes i do! Im a hindu and i do trust my god... although i dont agree with wot evr my religion says... i do believe god exists and act according to my moral values 😊

• I believe more in the universe and nature

• Yeah, I believe in Jesus... he saved me so many times, I wouldn't ever make it without him.

• good to hear :)

• Jesus tried to save us. But his teachings have been corrupted. Instead of latching on to the ultimate truth that Jesus was preaching. Which is pure love and service to others is the path to the highest forms of consciousness. Christianity has perverted his teachings to focus on the resurrection and him dying for sins. Which is completely useless bs. The message was what was important not his death

• Nah. Why? Maybe partly because I've grown up in a relatively atheistic environment, because it seems as logical as believing in Santa Claus, etc.

• well there is proof of god. Ok let me ask you this... what is your purpose of living? You believe in heaven or hell?

• I'm living because I was born and haven't died yet. No, I do not.

• I do not subscribe to any religion...

• hmm ok. You subscribe to nothing then i suppose?

• I believe there are other life forms out there, that we are not the only ones out there

• i too believe in aliens if that is what you're saying.

What Guys Said 37

• No, I absolutely do not believe in any god or gods. Why? Because there is not a shred of evidence for the existence of god.

You should be careful not to confuse the historical person of Jesus (Jesus of Nazareth) with the religious figure Jesus Christ. When atheists like myself say that Jesus never existed, they usually refer to the latter. I study history and I can thus tell you that there is at least a fair chance that Jesus of Nazareth has really existed. However, this thus not prove any of his supposedly miraculous deeds and just because the bible claims something doesn't make it true. In other words: while there might have been a man living 2,000 years ago in a land that the jews called palestine, there is no reason to believe that this man had any kind of supernatural powers.

As for your question of purpose: there is no inherent purpose of human existence. Except of course, reproduction. But see, that's exactly the BEAUTY of secular, atheist philosophy: BECAUSE there is no angry control freak up in heaven who constantly controls us and tells us what to do, we can decide for ourselves what our purpose in life should be. Each of us can figure out in the course of our life what WE WANT our purpose to be. Maybe your purpose in life is to be a great mom. Or a great doctor. Or a great artist. Maybe you travel to Africa and help poor people. Maybe you inspire people with your poetry or you entertain them by acting in movies. Maybe you give your life to protecting animals or you find peace in a monastery. There is no one-size-fits-all solution. Every person has to find his/her own purpose and this huge freedom should be considered a blessing, not a problem.

• I could tell you my whole sob story with how my religious upbringing bordered on abuse that led me to question my own faith, and as a result increasingly half-heartedly seek out validity in other faiths, but the jist of it is that while I could find no reason to believe in a god, I did find lots of reasons why people would want to believe in a god. But 'wanting to' is not a sufficient reason, for me. Just because I want some divine eternal purpose doesn't mean I have one. Just because I want there to be more to life than what I make of it through my own efforts doesn't mean there is.

Because it is quite possible that there is no divine purpose, I try to live my life as though it is the only one that I get to live. A key part of that is not living with regrets - and as a human being with a basic instinct for human decency, one of the main things I would regret is causing harm to others. So I don't.

Also, the "why are you bothering to live?" argument is odd coming from someone who thinks an afterlife is more important than this life: why are you bothering to live? This world has nothing for you, according to you, compared with the rewards in the next life. Why not just pick some holy cause to fight for, hasten your demise, and move on to this promised eternal bliss? If you're right, then kudos. And if you're wrong, then you'll die thinking you are right, and that will be your last thought ever, so no one will be able to tell you you were wrong, kind of a win-win. Of course, you might end up killing someone, and if you're wrong they die thinking you are wrong, which is a horrible thing to do to a person, but what do you care? You're absolutely convinced of your faith, right?

Also also, the fact that multiple books talk about Jesus doesn't mean he isn't made up. There's at least seven books that talk about Harry Potter, for example. And anyway, even if he isn't complete fiction, it's more his ancestry that people question. They can't even get it straight in the bible (in 2 of the 4 apostles, they trace his lineage back to David through Joseph, who wasn't even supposed to be his father, so that's awkward).

• Yes. Why? Because I, being a scientist and an engineer, cannot accept that this is all due to random chance. God never, NEVER violates the physics. He's self limiting, choosing instead to give more than enough grace and strength to deal with what this cold and callous world dishes out.

Now that said, do I believe everything in the Bible? Not a chance! I don't believe in the virgin birth or the resurrection. I believe in the way of life he lived and do my best to emulate it.

• Chances are very high that there was a Jesus, he was probably a human man who did numerous good things for numerous people. Might have even been exceptionally wealthy and philanthropist. News was spread by word of mouth and story telling in those days, and humans love to exaggerate. The fact that such a figure shows up in so many different religions is more than coincidence.

I don't deny the existence of someone like that, what i do absolutely deny is that he fed 5000 people with 2 fish and 5 loaves of bread, or that he turned water into wine, or that he could walk unassisted across water. By extension, I do not believe he was the son of a god or that such a god exists at all.

• if you have ever seen or witnessed a miracle then i would say that was god at work. When he did those miracles back then it was the same thing but in the flesh at the time

• You make a point that i'll concede - we don't 'really' know how everything started. There is something called the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics (which is far beyond this engineer's capabilities) that means at this time, we cannot be 100% certain it wasn't a higher being that started the big bang and created the universe. Maybe in the distant future we'll figure it all out.

That being said, in my own life and what I observe in front of me, I have no reason to believe in that higher entity. Science simply gives me the more convincing argument.

• hmm ok, fair enough

• Your arguments are awful. As a physicist I find that there is no evidence for God's existence or anything supernatural in this universe. I will therefore act as if they did not exist, until strong evidence suggests that they do.

Nobody should be saying that Jesus is a made up character because he's not, he was real but he was not the son of God or had powers. He is mentioned in the Quran because it was written after the Bible and because it is inspired / copied from it.

Many historic events in the Bible are not documented elsewhere, this suggests that they never happened (flood, Moses spreading the ocean). What future predictions? Where is the science in the Bible that has been proved to be true?

I do not believe in the afterlife because there is no evidence for it. We are nothing but animals that evolved powerful brains, we can enjoy life and do something for the world we live in until the moment we die. Your brain will rot and you mind will disappear along with it. The universe does not owe us a meaning, we are insignificant; we are only one species living in a small planet in one of the many systems in this galaxy. Look for your own meaning in life, pursue happiness, have a family and do your best for your children. Change your country or even the world. You are the custodian of life's meaning, it is the only one you will have so make it a good one.

• Us animals and everything around us were created by something. Evidence is in the scriptures founded. I mean it would suck to die and not lie an eternal life in heaven if you're a good person on this earth. This earth is a "test", don't matter my cars or homes i own, when the day of judgement comes god won't care about that. Read revaltions in the bible and you will see. All the evidence is in there for me.

So all in all you base your life of evidence of things? i just have a simple question. Did you ever see a miracle happen before?

• Ignorance is bliss.

• Source material for all abrahamic religions is the Sumerian Enuma Elish. It contains the first recorded copies of Genisis, Noah, Tower of Babel and others.
      It clearly states the entities that created us are just aliens. The aliens even make reference to the supreme creator

• The purpose of existence is survival and reproduction.

Everything else is a bonus.

You don't remember anything from before you were born, do you? That's because you never existed. When you die, that will be exactly the same.

Just because a dude existed at some point and someone wrote a book about him doesn't mean he's verified to be the son of God. He was probably a catfish the whole time.

• when we die we go to heaven or hell, that is my take on it. If you believe in reincarnation but in a human form then that is ok too. i just believe we are reincarnated to heaven or hell.

• "The purpose of existence is survival and reproduction."

Most teleological reasoning are invalid. Survival and reproduction are what we do, not our purpose.

Any kind of purpose needs a conscious planner. You are refuting your own argument with your teleological reasoning.

• "You don't remember anything from before you were born, do you? That's because you never existed. When you die, that will be exactly the same."
      Well you can't know that for certain. But, i like the point you made.

You should ask Dwight Shrute about his first memory. :P

• I need very little words to destroy the foundation of religion and the existence of a pure God.

i.ytimg.com/vi/rps3YdXAc3M/maxresdefault.jpg

• I am ashamed of you all.
    First, those of you who have commented, not with good intentions or with educational purposes in you heart but with hate and with hurtful intentions. It is not for anyone, religious or not, to comment with such intentions. Are we not here for the good of everyone? You claim to be righteous but you do so in such a way that it proves you unrighteous.

Secondly, @Johnson123, do not pretend to not know what you have done here. You have sought out what others believe and ridiculed and played the higher being and done wrong. What is the point of commenting if you are just waiting to question their beliefs and to do so in such a manner that it may be interpreted as just as appropriate as those you preach against.

Can all of you not see how you are who you persecute?

Do not get me wrong. I do not condemn any of you; such an act is against my morals. But i ask that you look at what you have done here and seriously ask if it is a good representation of what you believe and what you want others to think about what you believe.

• i comment to be a kind of a debate thing, i have stopped the comments now, i wanted everyone's opinions and most of them i have concluded are "proof" based. Just wanted to see what everyone had to say and too see the votes.

• in a way yes, do you believe in god?

• Against my better judgment, Yes.

Simply put, I believe that it is very foolish and arrogant to suppose that reality is confined solely to that which we can perceive by our five senses, especially when those said senses have been demonstrated to be easily fooled time and time again. The entire film industry is built upon fooling human senses; I know from personal experience. Through the clever angling of a camera, perspective, size, the senses can be fooled into believing something entirely different from the reality. Furthermore, just as one soldier on the beach of Normandy would have only had a small perspective of the entire battle, so I similarly believe that our perspective as individuals is merely a small fragment of the big picture. In other words, the reality that we perceive may not in fact be the ultimate reality or reality as a whole. This is where the philosophical branch of metaphysics comes in.

So the notion of a God really isn't that unlikely to me. Some may even utilize the term to refer precisely to the ultimate reality. But I just because I believe that God probably exists doesn't mean I believe that religion is worthwhile. I'm an Eastern Orthodox Christian, though for the most part I consider myself a deist at best. Simply put, in light of all the evil in our world, I don't really believe that God cares about us anymore. The way I see it is that at best, God is the naturalist scientific type--an outside observer who won't intervene because he respects the natural order--while at worst he is a deadbeat father neglecting his duties toward us.

Either way, I see no point in rendering him worship. Until I see the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come, I will not believe.

• To me this life is a test. somewhere in the bible and quran it does mention about these days or the end of day or what is to come or become. God has a plan and again this is all a test. To live eternally is to go to heaven or hell. We will get judged one day and god will not care about what we have materialistically but instead how we are as a person.

Your last sentence might be too late. It's good to act now and see for yourself. A miracle is god at work. You dont have to physically see to believe. Some people NEED evidence and that is ok. But just from what i know, failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

• That's the problem: I never asked for this "test." Nobody ever asked to be born, yet we're supposed to view existence as an act of love and mercy. The way I see it is that existence is a curse, and that God is akin to a Divine Jigsaw where we are forced to play his cosmic game of chess where the repercussions for failure are eternal Hellfire. Even if we kill ourselves, we are still subject to judgment. That doesn't sound like free will to me, or at least a test entered consensually. It sounds like God making us his personal lab rats to screw around with for kicks. What if I simply wanted to cease existing and not play the game? God hasn't given us that choice.

• Well, I'm more like Daredevil from the comics. I'm not Catholic, but I question morality and duality more often than not, and my religious growth has influenced me even though I don't go to church or follow any religion whatsoever. I believe in God, but I take the Old Testament with a grain of salt. The New Testament, however, teaches a solid moral background and also yes, I believe in Jesus.

I'm the biggest asshole though, and even though I'm generally a good person I've done my fair share of bullshit. I don't have all the answers and I'm still building my moral and belief system as I go.

• There could be a god/gods or whatever. Would never dispute that. What I do know is that it's not that manipulative, cruel, evil son of a bitch of Abrahamic mythology created to keep peasants happy and women under a mans thumb.

• people think god like a mad up story book character lol. very wrong

• It is made up. What's the difference between your bible and Greek mythology? Both had gods and real life heroes.

• I have my own logical reasons after learning about the universe and stuff.
    Then again I'm a Catholic, which is one of the only Christian denominations that accepts science and isn't fundamentalist.

• that's all good

• "hen again I'm a Catholic, which is one of the only Christian denominations that accepts science and isn't fundamentalist."
      Well, thats not true. There is actually more proof against your righteousness than there is for that of the Catholic church; but to get into that is a sin, i think i will abstain.

• Nope, I will not follow anything. Not a follower. I think people that think god is real are the same people that can't think on their own.

• Point of correction, God and not god.

• Yes I do. But I don't believe in any known religion. As most are about shrinking consciousness instead of expanding. Buddhism is probably the only one I can think of that is mostly about expanding consciousness

• No I don't, I'm Atheist and see no reason to believe in it.

• I'm a person who needs logic to be proven if things exist. It's all based on faith. I don't have faith in things. Only logic and facts.

• Yes I believe in God.

• Which god?

• Its like Schroedingers Cat... god exists but also dont. Just because we dont know it. Thats what i belive.

• Why? No good reasons or evidence. It's stastically improbable. And if he did exist he's the worst moral monster that could ever be perceived by humanity.

But we haven't even defined what god means. There are many gods and conceptions of god.

• if there are many gods and people believe in god then surely there has to be a god for all of these years. Lots of evidence was found. God is the creator of the universe, prob not the best definition but someone who can do everything for anyone. The past and the present

• To be fair, regarding the latter point I would tend to think of God as amoral. That said, I think any effort to label him as either malicious or all-loving like the religious is kind of foolish.

• @JRICHARDS1996 I wouldn't I think moral results, intentions and actions are important. And dieties fail on those counts.

• who else than GOD , look at ure own body and how it functions , look at a mosquito this is a very small start try and please dont tell that its a
    coincident

• I can't explain why. I'm terrible with words. But I am a proud Evangelical Christian believer. 😇

• that's good :)

• I have a very strongly Christian family. My dad gained the official title of Doctor in a religious research sort of job. He feels pretty much a walking Bible, which is convenient for me always wanting to know more about one thing or another, often The Bible.
      Anyway, I have believed in Him ever since I could comprehend just who and what He and Jesus are.

• same with me

• As far as our purpose on Earth goes? I have a saying that I know I read somewhere (probably Reddit), and it sums up how I feel about the "purpose" question:

The purpose of life is to give your life purpose.

So yeah there ya have it.

• Don't need imaginary friends. I gave that up when I was about 6.

• I do not disbelieve in god. I do not believe in though god. This is hard.

• As a whole I don't believe in God, but I'm open-minded. Certainly if God came to me and introduced himself (With a display or two of divine power to verify himself) I'd be a believer.

• No.

I've seen nothing to convince me otherwise.

• No I don't, cause there is no reason for me to believe in that mythical creature.

• proof in the world and scriptures jesus was alive and not a mythical creature lol. He was in the bible and the quran

• The Bible is just a fairytale and Quran is a modified version of Bible.

• If there's a god he/she better do something to make my life less miserable

• life is a test, when we all get judged by god, our cars and homes won't be judged, but is how we live and are as a person will be. If you don't beleive start praying and something can happen. You also have to apply yourself too.

• @FatherJack1980 I don't need a prayer to be answered right away, sometimes prayers work and sometimes they don't i can't be the judge of that, i prayed and some of my prayers did not happen. The most important one did happen. I don't want to say as it is very personal but it was something that i NEEDED and prayed and it happend. There were great odds against it too.

I think Norway is free education, not 100% sure, but i dont really know much about them so I don't know the educational system over there.

• Sure, you claim something happened and don't want to get into the details of it. That sounds about right :) And now you are probably thinking up some bizarre lie.

But yeah, what I've read is enough to convince me that you're a pharisee. Send Odin my regards.

• More from Guys
    7