Why Do Stupid People Tend To Have Kids?

Legitimate question, and I am not trying to offend anyone in the least bit. It's funny... when I was in high school I had quite a few enemies. The enemies I had were in the following category (one or more):

-Major stoners
-Class skippers
-Underage drinkers
-People who often got into a lot trouble with authority

After high school, I ended up going to college, getting my degree and starting a career in information technology. I recently looked at my reopened my Facebook account. All my friends who are in college or finished college currently have no kids, are working towards something and are successful.

I also searched around Facebook for my enemies and I noticed that a majority of them are working cashier jobs or very low level jobs, didn't go to college and have a kid or 2 or 3. I even heard that an high school nemisis of mine died last year due to crack and left behind 2 kids (he was 23).

Looking at the way things are now, made me think about this movie:

Why does is seem that the "failure-type" always seem to have kids... and a lot of them?

Again... not trying to be an ass here... but it if you look at the problems in the world, all the poverty, etc... it is because stupid people keep having kids, keep speading their seed far and wide and they are not teaching their kids to succeed.

Even looking at my family:
-My half sister had 2 kids with a drug dealer (she never finished school) and she struggles with drugs
-My female cousins had children with criminals and they aren't doing too well
-The educated people in my family (ages 18-30) are still single, no kids and working towards something.
Oh... another example.

My 25 year old cousin (male) has been in and out of jail since age 17. He has never worked and lives with his mom. He has 4 kids with 4 different women and he doesn't even visit or take care of his kids.

Most Helpful Guy

• That's a tough question but I was thinking about the same question today.

To start with a few facts, when you look at a Gauss' bell curve, you'll see that most people fall into the big curve in the middle of the scale, they make up the biggest share of any population. They do, because they have the most kids.

Only 16.1% of any population are of above average intelligence and only 2.1 % are of , how some psychologists call it, "near genius " intellect. (It's uncertain where the cut-off for genius is, since those IQ tests are calibrated to the absolute average IQ of 100 - I'm exclusively referring to European scales here)

In a German-speaking article, I read that highly intelligent people forgo socializing in favor of achieving their goals, and they therefore don't just socialize with anyone -

hence, birds of a feather flock together, therefore the dumb people will stick to their own kind.

And I also had the exact same kinds of people as my enemies back in high school @Asker.

And coincidentally, I also looked up people I went to elementary school with, and none of them as gone anywhere or is going to university - some are pregnant at 19 or are failed existences at 20 and others have bad paid dead end jobs

And I can recall them as relatively inept when they still were in elementary school, they couldn't really read fluently / properly , nor were they able to write decent essays or able to solve simple mathematical problems...

That's all I can add to this topic

• What I totally forgot :

A bad mistake intelligent people make, is exaggerating the consequences of their behavior - I watched the video and when they dismissed the idea of having a baby, because the economy is bad currently, they're disregarding the fact that there are ways to bring up a child in such a situation - no matter what

Intelligence is , among other things, the ability to solve new problems in a new situations.

• Thanks a lot !
      English is only my second language - German is my native tongue - I'd been a bit afraid of losing English since I'm kind of immersed in Dutch at the moment ^^

(In case anyone is wondering why I'm referring to European scales : American IQ scales measure differently and I'm not familiar with this system)

• Another thing I feel like I must add, is that I even had idiotic teachers as my enemies - others were impressed by me though - the world can be a sad place...

What Girls Said 11

• My guess is they just don't know how birth control works, or maybe they just have no clue how hard raising a child is. Smart people tend to wait until the right time to have kids.

• Because smart people are too busy thinking about getting their life together, their responsibilities and enjoying life before they pop out three kids. So yeah like you said -they're dumb lol

I think a lot of people, especially women just think they're supposed to get married and have children as soon as possible. Like it defines them as a person. They're really selfish because in my opinion if you want children and you want to be a mother then you should want the best for your children. So you would go to college, work, save up money, plan ahead, so your children don't have to struggle as well.

It's like that where i'm from. Every single one of my girl friends has at least 3-4 children now and they started in their early 20s. My mom had me at like 18, my sister had my niece at 18 or 19 and has two kids now. My cousins all have multiple children and started very young. I don't understand it, they all struggle financially, have never actually worked in their lives and if so it wasn't for very long, they have unhappy marriages etc.

• I guess they don't know how or don't want to use birth control. Or they don't think about the consequences of having children.
    I believe that some people shouldn't be allowed to have kids. Either because they're too irresponsible to take care of an human being or because they treat their children like shit.

People with higher education think about everything that is necessary to raise a child before making a decision. That's why they have them later in their life.

• They don't think about the future or the consequences. The choices are very much made in a series of moment.

• *moments.

The more they keep producing litters of children, only a few handful will be healthy and the rest are likely to have mental problems and can't set their foot in the right directions.

• There is some truth to that and well, the answer is the more educated you are the less likely you are to have kids or many kids. Women that lack access to proper education in the developing world, for instance, end up popping out 5-6 kids on average.

• a lot of girls who think they're worthless find their worth in their body and because they are stupid and not educated, they forget protection.. cause and effect

• Because only stupid people are stupid enough to have kids.

Only smart people don't have kids

• Cuz they're stupid. As you said, "Stupid people"

• Cause they are stupid and sleep around

• Because they're too stupid to use contraception.

• They're stupid & that's how they end up with children. I feel sorry for the kids.

What Guys Said 14

• They have nothing worthwhile to do with their time, so they have sex. Without protection or contraception because it feels better - fuck the consequences, "as long as i pull out its fine". Or they intentionally have children, again, to fill their spare time or claim welfare money.

• They do it because they have some free time and sex is so good. They don't think of the consequences like that they will have a kid if they never use protection.

• I am seeing sort of the same thing. I got my Software Engineering degree and felt good about starting out at $69K with a $5k sign on bonus. Wanted to see how my old friends were doing and the most successful ones have no kids and I went on a couple of cruises and adventures with some of them. Then I met a coworker things got serious when she told me she wanted to plan for a family and get a house. It is about $300,000 to raise each child to have a future... so we are saving up right now.

As for people that are dumb. A friend of mine who was going to be a "rockstar" has 4 kids with two different women. We had the same scholarship, but he went down a path of weed and got caught at school and lost his scholarship. A giant dumb guy that used to wrestle at school has 2 kids. This crush I had from high school is now a chain smoker with 2 kids and her husband lost his lawn business because of a crack addiction. A really dumb boyfriend I knew from middle school contacted me and he has 1 kid with a woman who he slept with once and pays half his check for child support.

Is it like that everywhere? Will successful individuals have more children? I don't know
    What I do know is we will probably not have more than 2 kids.

• Lol... this is what I see as well! It seems like those that are "failures" have a lot of kids, don't prep their kids for success and their kids end up in the same situation. It also seems like "failures" tend to have a lot of kids, too. So, in the future, the "failures" typically outnumber the "successful" people.

• Maybe because they think they are entitled to have kids just because they are human and alive. That doesn't mean that they should or shouldn't have kids. That's possibly how they are feeling about it, though. However, you have to realize that just because a person is stupid, doesn't necessarily mean they don't deserve to have kids.

• I may have titled my post poorly, I'm afraid. EVERYONE is entitled to have kids, you are totally right and I agree with that. However... I was just stating something I have observed in society.

-People who tend to make poor choices in life and have no direction, tend to have kids early on in life, don't think about their kids and keep the "failure" cycle going. And they usually have quite a few kids.

-People who are educated and successful typically have 1-2 kids later in life or no kids.

So... basically... it seems that the amount of stupid people in the world overtake the intelligent people wanting to make something of themselves.

Like with the examples I have used above:
      --The educated people in my family (ages 18-30) are still single, no kids and working towards something.

• Well, then if this is true/the case, then my sister in law's sister's children will have lots of kids. They aren't doing horrible, but they're not exactly all that successful either.

• You know what is always amusing?

People presume that stupid behavior is tied to a low IQ and that smart behavior is tied to a high IQ.

... This is false.

Actually, in fact, it's so false that it boggles the mind. You look up the behaviors of genii in the past and well... they were eccentric and... some married their cousins. Okay? Like for real. Or bathed in... nevermind. Ugh. ... !

• Because they don't think about the future. They just get the urge to have sex and act surprised. Having children is objectively more work than reward, so many intelligent women just avoid the risk of childbirth altogether.

• Well you know what they say stupid is as stupid does.

• So true! Dumb asses procreating. I see them pushing their strollers with grandma and grandpa who are likely paying the bills.

• because stupid people are paid to have kids... duuu

• the reason stupid people seem to have kids... is because people seem to have kids.

• Because stupid people do stupid things and unwanted pregnancies are something stupid.

• Personally I believe I'm smart enough to not have kids...

• funny question lol

• Hey, we need a large labor pool to build roads and work in the mines.