Do you wish there were more female protagonist in video games?

Honestly I can only think of 2 female protagonist in a sea of male protagonists. Samus Aran and Lara Croft

• Yes there should be more
  • No, keep it with just males.
Damn I forgot another female. This chick is FUCKING AWESOME! bayonetta
gaygamer.net/.../bayonetta.jpg
I don't mean they should make some existing games have female leads. I mean make some more new games that have female protagonist. So that way they fit the story better.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah, I wish they were more. I wanna see things from a different perspective, see a different side of the story.
    For example, I think the AC saga should have a female protagonist asap. They had Evie Fry in ACS, but she shared the protagonist role with Jacob (whom I hated). I think given how women were treated in the past, having a female Assassin would be great.

The reason there are less females is because men used to be the majority of players, and it's easier for people to relate to a character when they're from the same sex. Now that more girls are playing, there should be more female protagonists, and we're seeing more female protagonists. For example in Horizon: Zero Dawn (no release date yet) the protagonist is a woman. There's also the girl from Bayonetta. There's Mirror's Edge too.

There's still a long way to go, but we're seeing some change with more women playing games and also more women developing games.

Most Helpful Girl

• Are those the only ones you can think of? I'm disappointed in you :(

But I agree. I'd like to see more of them, but only if they actually focus on the characters. A lot of times, it just seems forced. I think Assassin's Creed could do really well with a female assassin, considering how women used to live during those days. They did add a female Templar in Unity, but it seems like they only added her in the last minute to appeal to fans. There was nothing good about her character.

• In the types genre I like to play. Not many female main characters show up. :( Plus I only go for games that I can get for free or barely have to pay for much.

• I wish they had more main females and the game be based around her in a good way. Along with letting you troll NPC"s as the female. :D

What Guys Said 66

• I won't answer either way. A big part of why I will not is because there are MANY MANY MANY more female characters, both main characters and supporting characters. A second reason why I will not is because your options are a fallacy (the idea that it is otherwise JUST males) vs imposed quotas (screw story, creator desire, original concept or intent, or market value, we need to impose quotas dictating MORE WOMEN OR ELSE).

I have no problem with female leads. In fact, I rather enjoy playing a female lead. But I want to play a woman in a story (or a person of color, or a gay person, etc) because THEY ARE WHAT FITS THE STORY, and NOT because they are shoe-horned in in order to tick a box on "demographics appealed to."

• Supporting characters doesn't count in this question.

• @ksoma I would give up now. You've made some very good points but she's just not going to listen to them or respect them because she's intolerant and self-absorbed.

• @WombRaider yeah. this comment thread wasn't supposed to turn into a bitching-fest. I really don't need to continue and make this a fight. not the place for it.

• Go look at the Indie game section on steam, I'm pretty sure you will find the majority have female or non masculine leads.

But, since you are clearly only referring to triple A games, then yeah... Obviously more are going to have male leads.. Why? Because the overwhelming majority of gamers are male.

Let's not forget a lot of games nowadays give you the option to create your own protagonist, i. e Skyrim, Fallout4, The Division.

Oh, and please, there are Wayyyyyy more triple a games with female leads then them, Resident Evil? Mirrors Edge? Left for dead? Dead Island?

Sure, the main character of the largest known titles like Call of duty, battlefield or GTA aren't female (although Bf4 had a very prominent and vital female support). But don't ignore that a lot of games do.

As I said, most game developers realise their target audience is a majority of males aged 16-30, so they accommodate their main characters around that.

If you want more women in gaming leads, try and get more females playing. Simple...

I'm sick of all this complaining about their being more men or more male protagonists and shit, I have never heard a man complain "there is too many women in nursing or fashion".

Just deal with it, some hobbies are more female centric (Ie fashion and design stuff) and some are more male centric (I. e gaming and crafting)

• Only problem with the Elder scrolls with having both genders to play as. The characters don't have much of a personality. I really wish they gave them more of one since that would make the role playing a lot more interesting and bad ass.

• It's actually not about there being more men as the main character. I'm just wanting more chances to play as a cocky son of a bitch perverted chick. Which sadly I can only think of 1 that fits that. I love playing male characters since they are fun to troll NPC's in the games. I just wish they made it so you could troll more as a female too.

• Get on Fallout 4 then. Make your character however you want and be the cockiest badass you want, Not to mention both genders have different voice actors and you get to choice every line of dialogue your character will ever speak, And there is always a cocky witty option if thats your thing.

• Yes, there should be.

I was at a few talks at GDC last year (not the one that just happened) that were about representation in games. There are as many young girls playing games now as there are young boys. The interesting thing is that male gamers do not really care if they play as a male or female character, but female gamers had a strong preference to playing a female protagonist. So the business case actually is much stronger for having more female lead characters in general. The guys don't really care, as long as the character is badass, and the women gamers appreciate feeling represented.

• No, there are not. There are more women playing smartphone games than men, but we're talking about proper console and PC games here.

• Fanboi misconception.

www.dailydot.com/.../

"A new study released by the Entertainment Software Association has revealed that adult women now occupy the largest demographic in the gaming industry. "

The idea that the gaming industry is dominated by men is false, and everyone working in the games industry knows that. Only people sitting outside of the industry in little walled gardens perpetuate the lie.

"For computer games, Starcraft II and The Sims franchise gobbled up the top 10 computer game titles, with Sims titles consuming eight of the top 12 computer game titles sold last year."

The Sims is played on the PC. EIGHT out of the top 12 titles were part of the Sims umbrella. You know who mostly plays the Sims? Female gamers. Playing a real game, on their PC.

The idea that "my game is a real game, but that game isn't" is ridiculous. You are moving pixels on a screen for entertainment. Period. It's like saying that soccer is a real sport and American football isn't.

• Yes I do. They should have big boobs and be butt naked.

That said. When females start gaming more than males do, this will happen naturally. However, gaming is still a male dominated environment. For now.

• Well then they should start making dudes more naked and shower their dicks off in games.

• @cipher42 Dude shit talking is pretty standard in gaming. If you don't like it, lit. then just don't play. Or go play with someone else. They don't slam on you more because you're a female, they probably slam on you cuz you're just not good. You just think its some slight against your gender because that's literally what's being drilled into your head by all the feminism stuff going on. Seriously, the internet has always been like that. Don't try to call foul because you're new on the scene and feel slighted at any little provocation.

• @Mustachekitteh I'm aware of the difficulty seeing irony in text. I usually rely on two opposing extremes that are so clearly antithetical to one another, it can only be construed as ironic. Clearly, you have very little faith in internet peoples rationality. Though I guess I can't blame you.

@Cipher42 I'm sure Farmville counts as being a gamer. It's a male environment, and you want to make it a female environment? Adapt to the environment, or get the fuck out. I don't walk into nail parlors and tell them to fist fight more. Males face twice as much insults and threats online or in gaming than women do. It's just part of the game. If you want to be seen as an equal, then stop bitching "He said something meeean to me." then. And deal with it like every guy does and throw it back. And I will give you a legit source to back up the claim that men face twice as much shit online as women do, if you really wanna keep arguing the point. Your argument is "women are weak and fragile". GTFO

• Don't care. All that matters is if the game is good, the protaganist is simply the median for the story. I think they are predominantly male because more men play those types of videogames and make those kinds of videogames so they simply go from a male perspective instinctively. Also their are quite a lot already, maybe not fifty fifty but still their are quite a few.

• Im not against it but Im not really actively fighting for it either. I guess its cool if it gets more girls into gaming but Im not sure that it would :/

Also, Im not sure if she counts as a lead character but Tifa Lockheart is really beautiful 😍

encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images

• You need to look harder! Where's Commander Shepard?

images.eurogamer.net/.../femshep.jpg

Jill Valentine? Maxine Caulfield? Lilith and Maya (from Borderlands)? Faith from Mirror's Edge? Jade from Beyond Good and Evil? Kerrigan from Starcraft?

Too bad you aren't counting supporting characters, because the female Gears they finally made playable in Gears of War 3 were great.

Lara Croft is awful. She went from being a pair of giant tits with a stupid posh accent to a confusing, badly written whiner in her reboot (crying about killing someone for the first time, and proceeding to kill dozens moments later) to a badly written whiner with daddy issues in Rise Of.

• Should there be more? Probable.

Should we do something about it? No.

Women have been making fun of guys who play video games for decades, and now that they're interested in games for, what? 5 minutes?, they want to come in and take over?

Ha!

• Oh of course. That's the only reason we don't see many female gamers. Absolutely nothing to do with how hostile and unwelcoming the gaming environment is towards women. Nope. Nothing. And you definitely didn't just prove that exact point with your comment here.

• @cipher42 Awww... you sound more than a little butt hurt.

OK, I'll bite... what's your story?

• YES mostly because I ALWAYS PLAY AS A FEMALE CHARACTER. I don't like being male characters in video games because I'm a dude IRL. It's fun to roleplay as a fantasy character that I'm nothing like IRL.

• They should have it alongside the male lead games. Some problems that are arising though is some groups take an already established character and just swap the gender. Like the Thor comic which I don't think is a good idea. They keep calling her Thor but no one sees her as Thor.

Also simply just taking an already popular thing and simply making it from man to woman insinuates that you need it to be male first to make it popular. It gives off the message that a female lead can't become popular on her own without making the character male before swapping it's gender once it's popular which I would think would be insulting to women.

• I'm not insinuating you're doing that by the way. Just that is how a lot of people are going about incorporating women into lead action roles now.

• I just put that new update since other people have said something like that.

• That's pretty stupid way of going about adding females. Honestly that would ruin certain games if they did that.

• I'd say there are a fair amount of them already. Mass Effect's got Commander Shepard (come on, we all know FemShep is the only Shep). There's Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII, Clementine of The Walking Dead, Faith from Mirror's Edge. One could argue Ellie from The Last of Us as well, though that's more of a deuteragonist role but that's essentially a protagonist alongside another protagonist. There's also Jill Valentine and Claire Redfield from the Resident Evil series.

And as far as female protagonists go, I'd argue Samus and Lara are some of the more weaker ones, at least in their recent iterations. Other M can kiss my hairy behind, and so can these atrocious reboots of Tomb Raider.

• And proportionally? You ever looked up how those few female protagonists match up to the amount of male protagonists when you look at actual percentages? Yeeaah.

• Female protagonists? Chick with guns? Nice boobies? Hot bodies? Yeah!!!

Female protagonists who will act like women and get all giddy over hot guys? Getting worried about 'he loves me, he loves me not' and get pregnant... Eh... no.

Like it or not. I don't think people want female protagonists who act like females. A lot of guys just like hot women acting like guys. Heroic, tough and cool.

• Demand and supply, demand and supply.

If more people are more vocal about wanting it, it will happen. As simple as that.
    Also lets not forget that a vast amount of games lets you pick whether to be male or female, especially in the rpg department.

• Go play story mode in Street Fighter, Mortal Combatm or Soul Calibur as one of the many female characters. Final Fantasy Games as well have a lot of girls... Ms. Pac-Man... Resident Evil... Play as Peach in Mario Brothers 2. She gets to float and shit... Peach is in a lot of Nintendo games (Mario Cart, Mario Party, Mario Tennis, etc.), you already have Metroid and Tomb Raider... Zelda games aren't named after Link even though he does everything... Mirror’s Edge. I'm sure there are a lot more, but those are just a few that came to mind pretty quickly.

• Fuck peach she's annoying. :P

I love how Link is in skyward sword. You get to use him to troll the NPC's much more and it's awesome. ^^

• Guess it's only the games I've been into where none of the chicks are really the main character.

• Probably, but at least you have a few more ideas now.

• Yeah female video game characters need to go back into their kitchens :) lol. It doesn't effect me either way I don't think time has anything to do with it cause I can name you female main characters in the 90's too. June from Teken and Aya from parasite eve and the others you mentioned.

• Really, that's all you can think of
    Not including all of these en.wikipedia.org/.../Category:Video_games_featuring_female_protagonists
    Here are the ones I can think of off of the top of my head
    1. Faith;Mirrors Edge
    2. Clementine; The Walking dead
    3. Evie Frye AS Syndicate
    4. Bloodrayne; Bloodrayne
    5. Amanda Ripley;Alien Isolation
    6. Joanna Dark ; Perfect Dark
    7. Jill Valentine, Claire Redfield, Sheva Alomar, Rebecca Chambers, I know I'm missing a few here; the Resident Evil series
    8. Several Borderlands protagonists; The Borderlands series.
    9. Optionally the Fallout Protagonists
    10. Optionally the Elder Scrolls protagonists.
    11. The protagonist of velvet assassin
    12. Max; Life is Strange
    13. Optionally the protagonist of the recent and kickass Shadowrun games.
    but the gender divide in games is quickly getting smaller

• They are the only ones I've heard of or have played with them as the main character.

• Ah, okay, yeah the gender divide is becoming non-existent in video game protagonists

• Sure. I'm all for it.

• There are more female protagonists, just not in the games you play. There was a female assassin in Assassin's Creed. Life is Strange! Probably more but I don't play many video games!

Forgive me but I don't think that the feminist movement should take to video games just yet… more important things to take on.

• Fuck feminist movement. This is more of a so games have more of a variety of people you can play as and have more characters you can get into.

• :( to bad you can't sweet talk them into getting a better one. :D

• Oh damn have I tried :D

• Not really , as most action games all already have male characters. For example Need for Speed The driver has been Jack Rourke for the last 5 games. The same with Batman Arkam games, the main charter is Batman. Star wars games the main characters are male. Call of Duty the main character has been David Mason for the last 2 games. Metal gear Solid, the main character has been Snake. Mario brothers, Sonic, Indiana Jones Injecting women into these games , messes with well established characters with known backstories.

• I just mean when making newer games. Why not try to have a little more badass female characters like some other games.

• I've only played 1 game where it was a female protagonist. Which is metroid which ends up not having any kind of dudes in it.

Anytime sponge bob came on. Sandy wasn't really on the show that much. Unless they recently made her pop up more.

• "I've only played 1 game where it was a female protagonist. Which is metroid which ends up not having any kind of dudes in it." But a bet you this, if there were male charters they would be stupid or useless , having brawn but no brain, as in most female centered games. Most of the time males have intelligence in games, is if their pushovers.

• Battlefield with female soldiers would be awesome - women serve in the military too and deserve to be represented - There are women who have more guts than some men after all ^^

• Yes, of course there should be more female characters, they are kinda more interesting ;)

• It would be quite interesting, actually. Especially since video games seem to be a lot more popular with girls these days than before. But that's just my observation.

Rumour has it that the next Grand Theft Auto game will have a female protagonist.

• I also wish they would fix games where you can pick between being a male or female. As in make each one be more interesting and have more of a personality. That makes the game more fun to play since your seeing more interaction in the game.

• That too! I know that the Saints Row series have had personality edit, but all it was is selecting a different voice, compliments and taunts. Hopefully games will do something more than that soon.

• Uh... There's NILLIN in Remember Me and there's Terra in Final Fantasy 6.

There is also a bunch of cool dating games where you play as a female, lol. You might think that's weird, but DATE WARP on Steam has a pretty kickass story.

• Haven't had a chance to play final fantasy 6 yet.

• Yeah same although I am somewhat curious about typezero

• Haven't heard of that one. So I'm watching reviews on it right now.

• Only video game I play is Madden NFL and sorry ladies its a man's sport!

• Sure, why not?

• Every Pokemon Game past Gold and Silver you can be a female, in The Elder Scrolls, and Fallout games past like tactics you can be female, FF6 has 2 female main charcters cuz Terra is the MC for the first half Celes is the MC for the 2nd half, 13 has lightning, 13 2 has Serah, and Soul Caliber V Pirrah is one of the MC's the other one being Petrocolose her brother, and there are ton of secondary characters and Deuteragonists, and more

• You're right, I can't think of any female main characters in video games besides those two you posted.
    Just kidding.
    images4.fanpop.com/.../...ne-15844172-1024-768.jpg
    orig11.deviantart.net/.../..._redfield-d6eybz3.png
    1.bp.blogspot.com/.../..._by_uxianxiii-d5h26iy.jpg
    img1.wikia.nocookie.net/.../...nderbywildboyz2.png
    assets.vg247.com/.../...l_kombat_x_cassie_cage.jpg
    On a side note, girls need to stop whining about "representation" in videogames or "sexualization." This isn't Congress, there is no right of representation.

• Portal is already a chick as the main. Though I haven't had the chance to play that one yet.

Resident Evil is a survival horror third-person shooter. Never been into that game play style. Which in japan resident evil is known as biohazard. So out of the pictures you sent.3 of them are from Resident Evil,2 from Mortal Kombat,1 from batman,1 from mirror's edge,1 from assassin creed, and 1 from remember me.

Mortal combat isn't good for solo players and you can beat other people by pressing random buttons, Remember me seems boring and the play style is pretty bad since it got a score of 5.9 which is extremely sad, Superhero games are not that appealing, Sadly with mirrors edge it was a great idea but the people failed on the game mechanics, Assassin's creed seems interesting but the main protagonist in that game is male.

So out of the pictures only 2 are the main protagonist. So meaning only 2 of those chicks count in what I was meaning in this question.

• Well, there are tons of female main characters in games. Happy playing!

• I don't see it as a topic of political correctness.

"Should" there be more? No. It's not required.
    "Should" there not be more? No, because being male is not required.

If you care that much. Write a good story and make the protagonist female. Star Wars 7 was awesome. I loved Rey. Not because the protagonist was a girl, but because she was good and it was a good story. Gender wasn't the defining point.

• The issue isn't about requirements, and it's not about people intentionally making characters a certain gender to fit quotas. Not like that anyhow. It's about the fact that it seems to be a sign of societal sexism that so few characters (or protagonists in basically whatever kind of media) are female.

• The moment you say "should", you're implying that they have to otherwise they are sexist or may be viewed as sexist. Maybe it's nothing to do with gender and the story how it came about in the writers mind was a male character.

Also keep in mind that the percentage of women suddenly becoming interested in videogames as much as they have is a relatively new thing. It's a male dominated field, because for decades girls didn't like video games and even joked men for enjoying them. The fact that more girls like them now should not be a call to designer's (who already have a loyal fan base ) to change their product. In marketing there's a concept that you cannot be all things to all people if you want to be successful.

Making female leads for the sole purpose of meeting a political idea is attempting to do just that. The goal is make a great story and be true to the story. If that means a female character, then great. If that means a male character, then great.

• There was also Joanna dark, from Perfect Dark 64. Great in the past, but microsoft burned the series.

• More from Guys
    36

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 17

• I really wish they would. Like we go out and do things too so why can't video game characters?

There are tons of kickass ladies in history and alive right now. Why don't developers use their stories if they can't manage to come up with anything on their own? Like what about the women who are fighting against ISIS? THAT WOULD BE SUCH A COOL GAME. "Sorry I can't come into work. I'm FIGHTING TERRORISM."

• Yes, I do, and I wish they weren't so overly sexualized either. I noticed that if a female is a protagonist she immediately has to be the sexiest shit that ever sexied. I'm not saying don't have a good looking female protagonist, but don't make her selling point her appearance. Ya know?

• From a business viewpoint it would be probably profitable.

From an artistic viewpoint forcing anything into arts would decrease the quality of the artworks.

If you force increasing protagonists of a certain gender we will see more low quality games than there already is in terms of story and general concept and effectiveness of the art.

I never had a problem with male protagonists. In fact, I always play male protagonists in open world RPGs. I want more great stories and good executions based on a great concept not more female protagonist.

• When you get people to make games solely to get girls playing, you get Mary Kate and Ashley: License to Drive and Kim Kardashian shopping games.

... shudder

• @jjmarvin Metroid is an awesome game, bayonetta has gotten good ratings, portal is a good one, and there are others. Though I don't think there are that many

• There are some games where you can design your character etc. but it would be nice to have more games with some badass boss ladies.

Did you know that pre-Nintendo reformation, that video games were equally played by girls and boys? Nintendo decided to start marketing games exclusively to men and boys in the mid 90s or so when they noticed that the subscribers to their magazine was mostly male. They thought this meant that only boys were playing the games, but it's more likely that only the boys needed the helpful tips in the magazines. Haha. I actually can't remember why the subscription service was predominantly male.

• "They thought this meant that only boys were playing the games, but it's more likely that only the boys needed the helpful tips in the magazines. Haha."

This trash talk has not gone unnoticed. Where's my Mario cartridge, we're gonna throw down...

• Not really. I definitely don't want a whole slew of female protagonist oriented games just for the sake of females screeching for equality. And you obv know that there are tons more female protagonists out there.
    If they're gonna argue for female protagonists to act as role models for young girls, then those characters should also have normal sizes boobs that obey physics and wear more clothing too. And just look a bit higher than average. Which you know isn't gonna happen so. :\
    I'm okay with guys. Esp if they're guys.

• Lol meant to say esp if they're pretty boys.
      I thought about it and I think mostly, when I play games, it's more about graphics and game mechanics and story line stuff than it is about what I'm playing as, if that makes sense. I'm also pretty good at immersion so whether or not I'm playing as a guy or girl, it's me that's doing ask this baller shit so I don't have the same problem a lot of y'all do. 😂

• I play many different video games and yea although there's few female protagonists I don't think it matters all that much. I'll play as anything for the video game, and a lot of the time games have options between playing as a male or female. When they give options I usually choose the one with better stats or better looks if there are no stats.

• I think they should, but guys would just bitch about how they're trying to replace male characters or kick male characters out. No one wants to kick male characters out or replace them, but we'd just like more different and original games with female protagonists too. Is that such a bad thing to ask for? :T

• I don't see many guys bitching about it tho (just in my experience), I do see guys bitching about how so many feminists are trying to change the gaming industry

• So what do you want to do about it? Have secret services listen in on group chats and whenever some boy/man steps out of line he's abducted and shot in a ravine? (another hyperbole).

It's the internet, people are sour and aggressive on GaG for God's sakes. Just move on.

" I think they should, but guys would just bitch about how they're trying to replace male characters or kick male characters out." This is a terrible, generalised assumption. Barely any guy complained about an all-female Ghostbusters cast... we complained about the awful, flat humour and the fact the trailer that seems to destroy the original film.

"but we'd just like more different and original games with female protagonists too." Get in contact with Ubisoft or Bethesda and demand they make a bunch of female-lead games and cry sexism and patriarchy if they don't.

• @WombRaider If they don't, then they don't. I'm not going to cry about it. I was just saying it would be nice if they could introduce more. Hell, it could be 2-3 characters out of the many they have and I'd be fine with that.

• I am sure people have mentioned them before but there are other females the ones I can think of are
    Technically Commander Shepard from Mass Effect, Lightning from Final Fantasy 13, Princess Zelda as Sheik in Ocarina of Time, Ellie from the Last of Us (That kid is badass!), Tifa Lockheart. I don't know if you are into RWBY but rooster teeth is making a video game for it and all of the are kickass. I mean there are also games like Final Fantasy X-2 where the main characters are all female but I mean that game was mostly fanservice and the story wasn't that good... but Yuna and Rikku are great characters too. Do I wish there were more games with females as the main playable character that weren't overly sexualized? Yeah.

• It'd be cool if there was more.

• I voted that there should be more but im fine with how it is now. I've seen plenty of female protagonist and options to be male, female, gay or bi in games (dragon age etc). Maybe games with more realistic female backgrounds since a lot of female protagonists are sexualized for the male audience

• I would love if more women protaganist in games, especially bayonetta who is badass and Kerrigan from Starcraft too, making women a force to reckon with rather than save them from a castle, I'm look at you peach

• I prefer to look at hot men

• There are games that allow you to choose the character's gender.

• yes we do

• I don't particularly care lol

• "no" because i think no one should play videogames. they suck

• Personally I perfer games that give you option to play as either gender without it changing the gameplay or storyline to much. There are a few games like this out there, but sadly not enough.

• A lot of the time when they do that. They tend to end up making both the male and female protagonist lack a personality. Then the interactions with either protagonist with NPC's end up not being that much fun either. Just wish they could do a better job with that.