Is maturity defined by age or personality?

Do you think ones maturity is defined by how old they are or what kind of personality they have (like the kind of person they are)? I ask because my have cousin who's 23, she's changed a lot over the years, like not her normally perky self. She seems more like she's in her own world and my older cousin says that our younger cousin has a lot of growing up to do but she also said "how much more growing up can you do at 23". So, hence what got me thinking about this topic.

What do you think it's based upon?

Most Helpful Guy

• maturity, like intelligence, is a combination of many components, not a simple quantity.

my oldest step-son is deeply wise about understanding human emotions, but is rather immature when it comes to dealing with interpersonal conflict or stress, or even personal responsibility.

one can exhibit maturity in one domain and lack it in another. the shape of the maturity contour pretty much is unique to one's personality. i think that as a whole, it expands with age, but tends to hold the same shape.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's mostly defined by life experiences and how you process them. In most, but all cases, life experience is related to age. The older you get the more you tend to have.

However, there are people who hit 40 and haven't really done.. anything. And then there are people who cram in an entire life of doing things most people never will be for 25.

As for actually learning from these experiences, that varies from person to person. I would say girls *start* to learn from them earlier but that doesn't mean we necessarily learn the better way. Guys and girls internalize life lessons very differently.

What Guys Said 17

• 100% personality. People mature through going life problems or difficulties, doesn't matter if they are 20 or 30.

• Age determines experience level. Not necessarily experiential diversity. Only experience. Experience + frontal lobe maturation. Really. You have to define what maturity is before you ask who has it. Typically, I think the definition most people hold of maturity is "Stays within social norms and does what is expected with respect and understanding." Something like that. In which case, I don't see the ultimate value of maturity.

23 is, like, just beginning to become an adult, in my opinion. 18 is just a kid. course that's just my thinking. This one lady said something to me before. "Kids stop being human when they become teenagers. They only become human again after they turn 26." I think that's fairly fair.

• to me its defined by personality. you can be 40 and still act line a child well some 18 year olds act like an adult.

• Maturity is certainly not defined by age, as 30 and 40 year olds can sometimes be immature. I'm not sure personality is the right word. If anything, your mental state determines if you are mature or not. And when I mean mental state, I mean common sense and reasoning to name a few. If you have good common sense and reasoning, you are very likely to be mature.

• Both, but it's mostly the way you see, perceive and react to things. How you handle social situations, how much agency and independence you have, how self-sustaining you are, I guess it's a question of your choices.

• Good question. Both of those do play a part in maturity, but also experience does too, and what you learn from your experiences. There are lots of people well into adulthood who still have the maturity and development of an 18 year-old. And vice versa.

• Personality.
    Unless you are talking in biological terms or in cheese or wine terms; in which case maturity is determined by age.

• I believe there is a difference in mental maturity and physical maturity. Physical is determined by age and mental is determined by personality.
    I know some really perverted old guys and I was probably too mentally mature in high school.

• usually age.. but that is left to be desired

• kid savants! is my answer

• Personality for sure.

• Neither. It's based on your ability to fake it.

• personality of course and the experience the one gets from life

• "Immature" is a word used by boring people to describe fun people! lol

• Surely by personality

• there is physical maturity and maturity in all other things

• I say age does not but experience defines maturity life experiences and the ability to deal with responsibilities defines that. even a 16 yr old can act as your dad lol.

What Girls Said 13

• Personality.

I've been told I am wise ever since I was 18 years old.
    I still hear that today.
    This is why I have friends much older than myself, I am able to relate to them on a different level and close in whatever age gap we may have through intelligent discussions, and life experience lessons.

• And of course, the insights I provide (way of looking at things).

• Maturity is defined on personality and what the person has been through. I went through a lot of terrible things when I was younger and by the time I was eight I had to grow up for the most part. I think a lot differently than other people my age, often don't get along with people my age because of it. I prefer writing, being in silence, I'm introverted, create, and I don't like getting into trouble. I'm more mature than some forty year olds I know.

• I think maturity has more to do with how you handle situations and how you prioritize your time and resources.

• It's defined by life experience.

• By wisdom

• Based on personality first and experience then the age. This is from my experience in life I've grown up a lot according to my age. Sometimes you see old people but they're immature and sometimes the opposite. So i don't think that you can say this person is mature based on his age first.

• In my opinion, personality

• i think its by personality and experience.

• Personality, openmindedness, and experiences

• Definitely personality

• Personality definitely, I've seen plenty of immature 30-40 year olds, for example.

• Definitely by your personality, but people always define you by your age

• Both. Of course has to do with the personality but you also need experiences in life in order to be able to view certain situations a mature way.