Why do people get so impressed when they learn a person can cook when it's not a hard thing to do if you follow directions? Does anyone cook anymore?

I love baking/cooking, and 9/10 I feel like I run into people who can't do it. When they find out they're like "those are good wife skills" or "omg I wish I could cook". I can't help but think that they're kinda stupid since recipe's come with directions that really aren't hard to follow, and it's not a special skill but it is a skill you might want to have as an adult weather you're living alone or not. I can understand something being a bit difficult if you're not like me and don't cook from scratch, but a person could at least start out with easy recipe's like soups, cookies, burgers, etc. It's not something super hard to pick up. The only pain in the ass is clean up afterwards. :T

Most Helpful Guy

• There are cook books (like The Joy Of Cooking) that teach about basic cooking skills as well as having recipes. You are right; cooking is not difficult. When I was 12 years old, my mother worked and my older sister moved away from home. I started learning to cook. I watched cooking shows and I read cook books. The "secrets" to being a good cook are:

1. Take the time to do it right. Do not take shortcuts

2. Use good ingredients. Do not use substitutions.

3. Start with a good recipe. After you try a new recipe, make notes about possible changes you may want to incorporate the next time you use the recipe.

4. Make the presentation of the food attractive.

5. Ask older relatives to help you with any questions you might have. Most older people are glad to have an opportunity to share their wisdom and experience.

What Guys Said 18

• Homemade filet mignon with balsamic Chianti reduction, quinoa, and steamed asparagus...
    http://i68.tinypic.com/15gxdnr.jpg

#OhYouMadCuzImStylinOnYou

• I love to cook and I've been cooking since I was 13 or so. I consider myself quite good at it and I'm actually better than my girlfriend ;-) (she's not bad either though). Personally, I think cooking is easy until a certain level. Of course following recipes is pretty simple. Well... at least for most people. But once you reach a certain level, there's much more to truly good cooking than just following a recipe. Being a skilled cook also means that you're able to come up with your own recipes, you have an almost instinctive feeling of what kind of ingredients might go well together and which ones don't. You're creative and try out products that lie outside your comfort zone. If you're into ethnic cooking, this also means trying other countries' dishes. For example right now I'm learning some Japanese dishes from a cookbook my girlfriend gave me as a gift and although the recipes are very clear and step-by-step, it's still challenging because there are some things I've never had to do before and some products I've never used before. I'll give you an easy example: today I cooked yakitori sauce for the first time with my girlfriend. We followed the recipe pretty religiously and yet, for some unknown reason, the sauce wouldn't really thicken up although the recipe said it will. Now, knowing a thing or two about cooking, we knew that we could try to put in some wheat starch. We did that and it ended up thickening up beautifully. It's not a particularly hard problem but somebody who doesn't know a lot about cooking probably wouldn't have thought of it.

So to some degree I understand people who aren't good at cooking and I understand why it might intimidate them. I also think it's stupid to call cooking "a good wife skill" cuz anyone should know some basics, whether you're a guy or a girl. We're not living in the 1950s anymore.
    What I find absolutely crazy and ridiculous is people who can't even "cook" something like a boiled egg. It's almost wrong to call this "cooking". And yes, these people actually exist. For example my best friend's dad can't cook. Like NOTHING. He once admitted that he doesn't even know how to "cook" a boiled egg or a sunny side egg. I mean really... what could anyone possibly do wrong there. Just put the egg in the water and set the alarm for 3-4 minutes. That kinda thing is embarrassing. But I think as long as you know maybe 5 recipes that you're good at, that's fine enough (if you're not into cooking).

• I have like only 3 recipe's that I came up with on my own and those were a bitch to get right, but I'm not talking about making their own recipe's. I'm talking about things that already come with instructions like making a good quiche or chocolate mousse.

• Cooking is an essential skill today, whoever says otherwise has really had a spoilt upbringing.

• Because not a lot of people want to cook anymore. They usually go to fast food or a place that has already cooked the food for them. And if they've gone there long enough, they forget how to cook in the first place. I've been cooking for a while now, because I don't like the unhealthy fast foods that are out there. And there isn't one place I'm singling out. They are all bad. Hell, if I wanted to (which I do and have been) I could make my own healthier version of what they make anyways. Even if it doesn't taste exactly the same, at least it's healthier. Sometimes - in fact, most of the time, it does actually taste better. I think another reason or two that people don't cook is that they are afraid of killing themselves of food poisoning as well as the fact that they prefer their food to be ready now and not have to wait half hour to an hour or more for the food to be done cooking (time convenience).

• I have never heard of anyone using food poonsoning as an excuse.

• Poisoning*

• Just because you haven't heard of anyone using it as an excuse doesn't mean it isn't one to certain people - especially if they have no clue at all on how to cook.

• Many people just rip off the top of a cardboard box throw in a microwave, and slap it on a plate. I've seen restaurants do this and see a small portion for 20 dollars and call it a gourmet cooked meal, LOL

• Actually I feel like cooking is a lot less following directions than baking is. Baking is pretty much by recipe because small changes can already fuck up the pastry. Cooking has a low more leeway involved.

But yes, every adult person on this planet should be capable of cooking more than scrambled eggs and microwaving.

• Cooking cab be hard to get right. Being able to cook mean that you have tried the same recipes over and over to be able to guage when it's ready, how much longer, when it takes right or at least tolerable. But if you ask me, I can cook a bit, it's not hard to get wrong unless you forgot an ingredient. And if you don't burn it, it probably edible

• I'm a cook in the navy, have been for about 3 years now. I really don't enjoy it that much, mostly because of the amount of people and the way we do it though haha, it's a great skill to learn though!

• I don't think it's a super great skill. I think it's something you want to know how to do so you won't end up eating out all 7 days of the week and end up gaining 150 lbs. with in a year. o- o

• I don't think I could do that. The last time I had little to no sleep I was angry at the world and looked like I was about to beat the crap out of anyone who crossed me. xD

• lol that's pretry much everyone on the ship everyday! Plenty of anger built up when you're stuck on a boat for like 8 months haha

• I agree with you everyone can cook

• If I have directions to follow I can usually whip something up. I can't promise that it will be good but it will be edible lol

• Cooking is chemistry that you can eat. You should be impressed regardless of whether it is or is not as elementary as counting.

• Honestly, try cutting up a whole chicken without instructions.

• I have since I've been watching my mom do it since I was young. From gutting to cutting to cooking.

• Well yes, I did not watch my mom do it ever so I have zero clue

• Because cooking is an awesome art.
    Or they are just pressi pleasers

• Are you kidding me? I love to cook. I love to try new recipe. I love to cook and I love to serve. I love to love people who love cooking.

• You would be surprised some people just can't do it

• It's not just following directions.. its, also an art and technique to it.

• I'm a guy and I can cook... and I'm not gay if anyone thinks so...

• I personally think its because they just don't like to cook or want to try to cook

What Girls Said 6

• I have been cooking full meals since I was ten years old. If a ten year old can do it, a 30 year old man can do it.

When my dad knows that my mom has had a busy day, he makes dinner for them. If a 56 year old Italian man who believed all his life that cooking was a women's job can do it, so can you.

• I totally agree in high school I was a culinary student for three years and got a medal for being the best in my class. At least according to my teacher. But it's really not hard since all you do is follow directions and don't change the recipe. According to my mom since I can cook, that is a prime wife skill. Boys please restrain yourselves as you all come get my number.

• Heck, a person doesn't even need to talk classes to learn how to do it and they still say it's hard. They could just go to a cooking channel on YouTube, or open a freaking cook book. What's so difficult to them about that? XD

• I guess it's because people just don't try. Either way it's disappointing

• Right? It really is. I swear I'm loosing hope for people on a daily basis.

• Lol I don't get it either. Maybe they have a hard time following directions. I grew up watching my mom in the kitchen so I learned early on how to cook basic stuff. By the time I was 10 I could make an array of foods by myself.

• My dad taught mt that basic human necessities included knowing how to feed yourself so I don't get it either.

• people are dumb

• I just plain suck at it, even while following the instructions. 😂
    So, if someone can do it, I'm impressed. 👌😁