Out of the two, best place to live?

List pros and cons of both if you've been to or live in either city / state. Im having a dilemma on choosing where I want to invest my energy on as far as focusing where to move to.

i initially thought it would cost me $11k to be able to afford a long distance move but I've done more research and it won't cost that much.

thanks.

• Austin, TX
  • Seattle, WA

Most Helpful Guy

• Austin hands down.

Much prefer the climate
    Prefer the music scene (both have music scenes but I prefer Austin's)
    Seattle is too big for my taste

Seattle just seems depressed to me - like boxed in, overcast, isolated from the rest of the country. Whereas Austin seems more alive, open, blue sky, and more centrally located.

I like the Cascades, Ocean, Rainier near Seattle. But I like the hill country, rivers and lakes near Austin better. Yea I'm a outdoorsy type, but so are a lot of other people on both of those places.

I think I'd like the people in Austin better.

Bottom line is that Austin just impresses me a LOT more than Seattle. It's an overall feeling.

• People in Seattle seem cold and distant.

• @FallOutBoy2001 Not my experience there. Granted I was living in my parents house for the winter, had only temping jobs and so no money, but I found most of the people were very parochial and not very friendly. This was actually in Bellevue/Issaquah.

• @zagor hm, that was not my experience, sorry you had that experience

Most Helpful Girl

• Seattle is amazing, lived there (actually lived on Bainbridge Island) for a little while. The community there is amazing, there are tons of places to walk, bike, or jog, and there's a lot of culture, specifically Native American culture. Plus, you live a little while away from Portland, Oregon, and you can take the ferry to Victoria and Vancouver, British Columbia. If you wind up settling down there, and have kids (I'm assuming you don't already) the school system isn't half bad, there are a ton of parks on the islands, many museums to take them to to expose them to art, as well as children's museums. There are also a few beautiful lakes to visit (such as Crescent Lake, it's beautiful and I'd give in a 10/10) as well as a rainforest and a national park, and you can drive to the ocean. It's also incredibly LGBTQ friendly, I didn't once meet anyone homophobic, and overall it's very welcoming to everyone from different walks of life.

Some cons might be the Puget Sound. Beautiful body of water, but if you want to get across it you have to travel two hours by car or take the ferry, and depending on if you live on one of the island or on maibl and, you could wind up taking the ferry every day. That being said, it's quite a nice, well kept ferry system, and it's usually on time, plus you can get a frequent user card. Another con might be the distance to proper shops. On Bainbridge, we had a lovely Main Street with a grocers, a bookshop, and some little stores, as well as a park, a tiny children's i for play space, and an ice cream shop, and for Halloween all of Main Street hands out candy (or an ice cream cone, if you're the ice cream shop) but you have to travel at least twenty minutes to go to a Target or any other brand name store.

All in all, I would totally recommend moving there, it's a great place to be single guy, or to raise a family.

What Guys Said 24

• If you move to Seattle you better have a good paying career lined up. It is expensive there.

The weather is very damp. Almost year-round. And much of your time will be spent commuting for most any job you get. Traffic can be a real bear there. Unless you are very lucky on where you live.

Alternative would be to live outside of Seattle. All the benefits and few of the bad points.

Seattle is close to ocean beaches, scenic beauty, mountain skiing, hiking, camping, etc.

By the way, Portland is very close and has much of the same appeal with fewer of the negatives. Only thing there is that you have to watch out for the Wesen. See Grimm if you are unfamiliar. lol

On the other hand, Austin offers... trekking through the desert, laying out in the desert, sand skiing, you get the drift.

And even though Austin is leaning progressive, it is the capital of farther than far right Texass.

People that I know who have spent time in Texass have no kind words for it. I myself spent a week one night in Armadillo. Could not get out of there fast enough. Booooooring.

• Austin, Home of Texas blues, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Johnson, young population, great climate, bats living under Congress st. bridge that's a big tourist draw, Tex-Mex cuisine simply the best, very friendly people, cheaper than Seattle, more sunny days than Seattle

• I would say Seattle. weather aside, if you live in Austin you have to deal with the Texas politics. That's kind-of the ultimate "no," for me..

• If you're into outdoors stuff and are willing to completely ignore the cold and damp, Seattle would be good. The only way I would ever live there again is if I had a totally flexible job so I could work when the weather sucked and go outside when it was nice. Winters there are depressing as hell.

Only been to Austin once. It may be the only place Texas I would even consider living.

• never been to seattle and i heard it's cool, but austin is the shit... plus, it's a lot warmer, which is always a plus for me

• Austin texas!!! by a million miles
    Seattle is legit too tho

• Never been to Seattle, but the scenery seems to be a high selling point for a lot of people.

Austin always feels like home when I go, so it's got an advantage there. But as I said, I've never been to Seattle so it seems unfair to choose Austin over it before visiting first. and I'm kind of a geek for scenic things.

In the end, Austin is more financially realistic but I mean... after I visit Seattle.. who knows. I might put my nose to the grindstone to make it happen.

• omg AUSTIN ALL THE WAY!! get a job and pack your bags! and find a roommate. Do you know anyone there?

• Bruh I only have $500 in savings, I have a bit of time before I can pack up and job hunt :p

No, I don't know anyone in either city. I would be living alone in whatever city I choose.

• Austin is warmer and drier, but Seattle looks like a cool city on the waterfront. I would choose Seattle because you can still access beautiful landscapes and forests etc., Having the ocean as your playground would be cool too!

• I'm from the vancouver area and lived in this climate all my life. The rain can get pretty depressing for those who haven't experienced a lot of rain. I'm just used to it and it makes you appreciate sunny days and making the most of your days.

I'm bias to the Pacific northwest so Seattle is the place to be. It's beautiful there and the outdoor life in the Pacific Northwest is amazing if you're into that.

• Both cool. If you like rainy weather, bookstores and ocean (or Puget Sound) Seatlle. Austin if you like heat, arid climate. Not too many cities in Texas I like but Austin beats the hell out of Dallas and Houston's to hot/wet

• I'll choose seattle just because it's the home of Dr. Frasier Crane!

• Hmm. Hipsters or stereotypical Texas... decisions... decisions...

• Austin, TX
    A lot of tech companies are relocating there from my surrounding area.

And booo to the Seahawks so no Seattle.

• I don't have any experience or anything to do with tech tho so...

• @Red_Arrow niners fan here :P

• lol. Not a big fan of any pro team, but I live in an area where Seahawks are the choice. So I go with the flow. I am a fan of some college sports and the Oregon State Beavers are my team. The Oregon Ducks are our big rivals, but considering the current situation, I have to root for them right now. lol

• I'd suggest Indianapolis... Cost of living is a lot cheaper here and we're pretty awesome. =)

• it depends on what you are into for witch is better

• sea vs. no sea

sry that's all I know :o :P

• Seattle has legal weed and my friend lives there

• I hear the steaks are awesome in Texas.

• Seattle is full of progressive nut jobs. Austin is better. I was there for a month, loved it.

• New Zealand has a lot to offer

• Does rain and wet weather bother you? Do you feel gloomy in perpetually wet weather?

• Don't move to texas. Texas is for steers and queers.

• I Have Never Been To Either City/State.
    Southern California Is Where It's At!
    I Would Say Between The Two, Seattle.
    I Can't Stand Texas.

• No idea.
    Nice tits you've got though.
    #Kthnxbye

• lol. Only two words to answer her and those say you have no answer.
      But several words about her tits. we can see where your attention is. (Though you are right.)

• @Red_Arrow
      Those tits are literally desperate for space.
      But on a lighter note, i prefer to see them in the current form rather than full ;)

• Neither.

• Not an option.

• Yeah it rains a lot in Michigan too, where we also have a lot of racists.

• The only state that is probably more racist than TX is like Mississippi.

What Girls Said 15

• Well, I'd go with Austin, but I also think any temperature below body temperature is too cold.

Those two cities have cultures that are more similar than you might expect. Progressive, weird, music-focused, etc. So, weather might be more important than it would if you were choosing between places with substantially different cultures.

But, wait, though. $11,000 in moving costs? That's a typo, right? I mean, you can move 2 cars and the contents of a 3-bedroom house OVERSEAS for less than that.

At yr age I'd guess you could get a u-haul, hitch up yr car, and just drive to the new place (towing yr car). The rental shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks. Assuming about 10 miles per gallon for the u-haul, at current prices it'd cost about $300-400 in gas to Austin, and about $500-600 to Seattle. You might need an overnight on the way to Austin, and mb 2 overnights on the way to Seattle, but hotels in the middle of nowhere are cheap.
    I can't see any reason why this move should cost a 23-year-old more than a thousand bucks.

So, the 11,000 was a typo yes? If not, where the heck are you getting that figure?

• *Lost train of thought, some words were missing there.

Meant to write:
      "At yr age you probably don't own stuff like furniture, so, you can probably just toss all yr belongings in yr car and drive to the destination.
      If necessary, though..." + then the stuff about the u-haul.

• Ahh ok, I got you.

Try sticking with rentals from larger property-management companies -- the deposits are usually pretty small, unless you have godawful credit. (Not just "little or no credit", but actually BAD credit -- like, you've declared bankruptcy before, or maxed out cards, etc.) Here in LA, the security deposits are in the $500-1000 range even on apartments whose rent is 3-4k/mo.

Versus renting from individuals or smaller companies, I've seen deposits as crazy as first+last month's rent. Nutso. Not as nutso as trying to find a place in NYC, but... yeah.

Lots of larger property-management companies let you pay rent with a credit card now, too. There's a service fee -- usually $100 or so -- but, if you don't have cash on hand, that can get you by until you have steady income again.
      Won't work with the deposit, though.

• But, wait, I thought you had some sort of job situation already -- given these 2 so-specific options, already.

So, this is just a totally random move? But yr sure you want to go to one of those 2 places?

Tbh, if you think you'd like Austin, you'd probably like Portland better than Seattle.

Also, you might want to think about Boulder, Colorado. Culture is a lot like Austin's, the scenery is just fucking gorgeous, and the city doesn't face as many infrastructure problems as Austin does. (Austin has gotten so big, so fast, that its roads are perpetually choked with traffic, and its utility grid has started to become less-than-reliable during peak summer months.)

• We live a ferry ride, or a bit over an hours drive from Seattle, it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Seattle prides themselves as progressive and liberal, where the majority of Washington state is fairly moderate to conservative both politically and in attitude. Seattle does have a huge homeless community/problem, (some say it is because Seattle attracts homeless from outside areas and even other states due to the ease of getting welfare and medicaide benefits). There are tons of outdoor things to do within a couple hours drive of Seattle mountains for hiking, climbing, snowshoeing, skiing, camping. The ocean is about 2-1/2 hours from Seattle the water is beautiful but on the cool side, with everything from commercialized small Oceanside villages to completely wild accessible only by hiking in. The eastern half of the state is probably 2-1/2 - 3 hours away from Seattle miles and miles of farmland, orchards and other beautiful areas to hike, camp, boat, off road vehicle and motorcycling. Tornado's are almost nonexistent in Washington, though we might have a weaker storm cell which is called a tornado once every two or three years on average, that would be for the whole state.

I've only been to Texas twice but both times I found the culture and land beautiful. I find most of the people that I have met and dealt with to be very gracious, kindhearted individuals. The weird weather, snakes and other poisonous bugs creatures and slithery things kind of scare me. If my family were there I might be more inclined to see Texas and Austin as a nice place to live, I really don't know a whole lot more than visiting on a couple of vacations, so we really saw the nice touristy things. I'm sure like Seattle there are some rawer sides to Austin and Texas in general. From the side I've seen it might be an interesting place to settle for a while.

• Texas is full of batshit crazy people, not everyone, but you're going to meet a lot of batshit crazy people, more often than say Seattle, who make you think you've found the missing link.

I would not like to go to a city an expensive as Seattle, but it looks like a pretty cool place to live and the pay is better than in a lot of places. Also, things can be expensive in Austin too. And also, being in a city (Austin) could mean it is less stereotypical crazy Texas.

• I've been to Austin a few times, I know exactly what Austin is like lol

• If so, you should look up a few jobs you have a good chance of getting, and also how much an apartment would cost.

• Seattle has lower pollen counts and you can visit a ton of cool paces really easily.

• Like... Canada. Which would be convenient because where I live now, it's super easy to visit Canada. It's like a four hour drive south. I like being able to just get up and leave the country for a day.

• @Red_Arrow depends what route you take. But I mean, by all means, why don't you tell me what I've done, and how I get places, and educate me on the state I've lived in my entire life.

• Hey. I am not trying to argue, but looking at the map, I see that if you travel south you would be on highway 131 straight to Indiana. If you head toward Detroit, the only major highway is 96, which is directly east. Now I know that you are definitely more familiar with the area and how you drive, so please educate me on your route.

• I live in Washington state so I been to Seattle.
    Just think about it very well.
    Here in Washington it rains a lot
    In Seattle the price is high to live there
    But you also could get a job that pays you $15 hour. Most people take the bus to go to places.

• I voted A.

Pros-
    -closer to me when I go to college there
    -we can hang out
    -fun
    -better

cons-
    -none

• Austin!! Texas has soooo many cool places to go (if your parents aren't too lazy to take you xD) and im like obsessed with Six Flags lol my mom said she liked Seattle too tho! she said they were weird there but i hear Austin is pretty out there too (Keep Austin Weird is its own thing here lol) Seattle is beautiful from what i remember. the forest n woods were awesome but i think Corpus Christi is beautiful too. plus Texas has tons of wildflowers where i live

• I heard from multiple people that Seattle is one of the worst places to live, because it's so crummy and the people there hate everyone. Just going by what I heard so I would choose Austin

• No contest for me. Texas! I'm a country girl who likes guns, sunny days, big skies and the sun, did I mention the sun?
    Also there are way too many liberals in Washington lol

• I think I'd fare better in Washington state. Seems like an interesting, wistful? area.

• Austin is quite Liberal, so... it'd probably be about the same on that front :p

• It is but the state laws in general are more conservative.

• Seattle for the win!

• So this is totally unrelated to your question but I keep seeing your profile pic & it looks like you're hair is purple but it's just a blanket or something... & you should go purple sometime, i think it would look great!

• austin, TX. seattle sounds like an arctic wasteland of white people.

• Seattle. I have been there before and i like it. Plus it is close to where i live currently :)

• seattle is nice my brother lives there

• I guess Seattle, WA since I never wanna go to Texas