Is it bad that I don't accept people who don't believe in afterlife and they claim that when people die, they stop existing at all?

I find them WAY TOO miserable and pesimistic...

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• People are always going to have different opinions about things than you. Just simply accepting that not everyone shares the same opinions as you and moving on with your life is different to not accepting them at all, the latter being unproductive.

Most Helpful Guy

• No you don't have to accept anyone. It's up to you which crowd you want to stick with.

What Girls Said 10

• I don't think that's a pessimistic view at all. People are entitled to their beliefs , you are as well.
    Judging people by what they believe is true is where the problem arises.
    Everyone has their truth , we will only know what truly happens when it is our time.

• What is miserable or pessimistic about believing that this is the one life we have to live and when it's over, it's over so make the best of it?

• Can ya accept non-existence?

• What's there to accept? It is what it is.

No sense spending my life focusing on an an afterlife that may or may not (probably does not) exist when I could focus my energy on the here and now.

• OK... imagine yer gonna die in 5 minutes from now... so now how are ya feelin?

After 5 minutes it's gonna be just darkness... scary isn't it?

• I think it's best to try to accept others' views as long as they're not disrespectful to others. However, it's up to you what company you keep, I doubt anyone else really cares.

• Can ya imagine how do I feel when someone tells me... when we die we stop existin'?

• Still... it's better than not existin' at all...

• It really isn't.

• It actually makes me happy to think that every tangible moment I have on earth counts for more than biding my time waiting for an afterlife. If we lived forever it'd get boring, to me.

• You should respect other peoples opinions. Afterall, it is just an OPINION/VIEW not a fact. No one knows what happens when we die so, stop acting like you know exactly what happens.

• Unfortunately not a fact... and when someone tells me such stuff it scares me as well...

I don't want those people to be true...

Yer very pretty by da way...

• Seems like we wouldn't get along. Lol. It doesn't mean they're miserable maybe it's the only thing that makes sense to them.

• No, cause a lot of people have their own opinions. Just like a lot people wouldn't never be friends with a spiritual person. Same thing

• hahaha, same. so pessimistic. they cut all the fun out of death, how gloomy and stoic.

• My mom thinks like that too, I don't get how that is miserable or pessimistic at all. In fact I think of non-existence as a beautiful thing and I think of it as best case scenario. Not everyone thinks or processes information the same way.

• BEST CASE? NO WAY!!!

• @Stacyzee
      Very true.

• @Stacyzee Oh c'mon stop it... there's nothing gonna happen I'm very careful...

• What do you mean by "don't accept"? You can disagree and think it's a pessimistic view if you want, that's your opinion.

So you know though... I don't think there's an afterlife, but I'm perfectly happy. It just means this life is even more precious to me, and I think we should live it well, and cherish it and the people in our lives to the best of our ability. :)

What Guys Said 9

• You're wrong because the understanding that there is no afterlife is anything BUT pessimistic. In fact, it's much more positive than believing in an afterlife!

Understanding that there is no afterlife, that THIS LIFE is all we've got gives the time we have on this planet an incredible value. It makes every second of every day you live unimaginably precious. For the very reason I know and understand that I will die one day and cease to exist, I want to cherish, appreciate and embrace every day I have in my life. Like the ancient Greek philosophers said: Carpe Diem. Seize the day. Love and enjoy your life to the fullest because it is limited. And "enjoying your life" doesn't only mean to have fun. Like Aristotle already understood, life quality also comes from helping other people. In fact, scientists have found that people who devote their life to helping others are on average happier than people who only look out for themselves. So by making sure that you AND other people have a great time on this precious planet, you give your life purpose and happiness and you show gratitude for the time you've got. It's not miserable at all, it's an incredibly strong, positive message.

An afterlife in eternity on the other hand - well, THAT is miserable! You might think that eternity sounds fun but I can promise you it wouldn't be fun. It would be worse than any torture you could ever think of. It would be pure horror. Read Jean-Paul Satre's "Huis Clos" to better understand what I mean. See, even if you celebrated a huge orgy every day of your afterlife, it would become boring pretty soon. It might be fun for a few hundred years or maybe even a few thousand years if you're a total party freak but millions of years? Billions? Trillions? ETERNITY? No, that sounds absolutely horrifying.

Pleasure can only be recognized as pleasure if its opposite (suffering) also exists. This is an understanding that both ancient Greek and ancient Chinese philosophers developed early on. The high points of your life only feel so high because there are also low points. Good food feels great because you know what hunger feels like. Sleep feels good because you know how it is to be tired and exhausted. Being in love feels amazing because you know how it feels to be lonely or love-sick. I once had a phase in my life where I didn't do ANYTHING. I didn't go to university and didn't have a job. I was well off financially and I simply spent my days playing computer games, eating,

• sleeping and doing whatever else I felt like. I won't lie to you: the first 2 months were amazing. It was so awesome to be a lazy couch potato who does whatever the hell he wants to do. But after 3-4 months, it suddenly became very dull. It was always the same thing over and over again. I got up in the morning and felt empty because there was no reason to get up for. I played my computer games but somehow they had lost their charm. I wanted to meet my friends but they were working. I wanted to cook something fancy but then again, I had been doing that for the past 3 months and kinda lost interest. The longer this time went on, the more torturing it became. I've never felt so depressed, empty and bored in my life. Believe it or not: when I started university after 7 months of not doing anything, it was the greatest feeling ever. I loved going out and attending classes. I even loved doing my homework.
      After-life sounds exciting but actually experiencing it would be terrible.

• Yes, yes, you actively choose to stay ignorant and believe in false delusions. In the age of information, where all you need to do is type your question in on Google and find all answers you are looking for; ignorance is a choice.

Enjoy being wrong about everything you choose to believe in with no proven facts to base them on. I'm out.

• Technophiliac as hell... let technology do wotever wants... not to be nosey but I know yer workin' as an Android creator developer or however's it called... ya mentioned it before... people like yerself think technology's ALWAYS right... it's yerself who've lost total wid yer human selves... and humanity in general...

• In light of all the affirmative evidence available to the contrary, anyone who gloms on to a world view of hopelessness and despair is a real pip. And to top it off, most of em sort through and disseminate the assorted grim ponderings of that vulgar Hitchens mongoloid.

• Oh, please tell me then about some of the "evidence" you've got for an afterlife. And by evidence I mean actual scientific evidence not stuff like "my uncle once saw a light when he was in a car crash".

• Alright. Clearly you're not interested in having an actual, grown-up discussion. Goodbye.

• @BlueCoyote where ya goin' when you die? Sounds pretty serious to me!

• Well that's a shame, because that's exactly what I think. After all, is there really any reason to believe anything else?

• See ma comment on Bluecoyote's post...

• Your brain is what perceives signals provided by sensory input. Without your brain, there is nothing for you to retain your memories and perceive anything else. Death is final. It can't possibly be anything else.

• Accept or not, I'm indifferent. You have beliefs, they have beliefs. There is no way of proving either.

• I think that's weird. It's not pessimistic. It's just a viewpoint.

• I don't believe in afterlife cuz there is no proof of it.

• I'll be too busy being dead to care what happens after I'm dead.

• Why miserable or pessimistic? I don't how people can know they obviously have not always existed and yet can think they will continue to exist forever now that they do. That's just weird. You had a beginning, you will have an end. It's nothing to worry about because when it happens you won't know.

• Believeing in magic afterlife is not optimism either.