Do you listen to music when you try to read?

Or have any other noise going on, like the TV on or something?

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope, I can't read or do coursework whilst listening to music, because I can't concentrate. I'm too busy taking notice of the lyrics, unless it's just instrumental music

Most Helpful Guy

• I find it to be extremely distracting, to be completely honest. Some of my friends do it, but I'm never able to figure out how it's possible.
    Although playing video game soundtracks dont really hurt when reading threads online.

What Girls Said 35

• hell no. reading time is reading time. no music, no nothing. i like to have all my attention in that one book...

UNLESS it's an academic piece of text that i dont really care about. :)

• No usually while doing other honeowork or activities but not reading considering I don't do it for enjoyment I need to be completely focused or I won't remember a single thing that I've read... If I van even subconsciously read half the time I can't make out the words in the book because I'm too busy singing along to the song.

• I like to put on my pandora station that plays video game music. It's good because there's no words so I'm not tempted to sing or anything.

• I tend to get distracted if I do that. I sometimes have music on in the background when writing essays though, like now, for example :P

• No I do not. Which is weird because I listen to music for everything else. Reading and music being played at the same time break's my concentration easily. I want to comprehend all that I'm reading not create a music vid in my mind lol. Like to visualize the story so mixing the two would be pointless.

• Yes. Usually pure instrumental, it helps me visualize scenes in the book, as if I were watching a movie.

• Sometimes because my brother loud! lol

• Nope, never. It's distracting af. But then my mom or brothers do turn it on, and I have to just ignore it :/

• Kind of. I can't do that when I'm reading a really good novel lol but I can read boring text books with music on

• i prefer to read quietly, though i'm known to blast symphonic metal when i write.

• mostly no.. it is distracting..

• No, it distracts me from becoming fully engrossed in the book/imagination.

• No. I can't focus like that

• I can't read and listen to music at the same time

• I would rather not

• No, I can't listen to music when reading. It's distracting.

• I prefer to read with headphones and easy listening music cuz its less distracting than the sounds the world makes

• no. for some reason its really distracting now, but before i used to always listen to music when i did everything. now i need it to be completely quiet or i won't understand what im reading

• I have music on all time, for everything.

• Yeah, I always like to have music on. It's much easier for me to concentrate with it. The quiet just bothers me.

• Yes, but it ends up distracted me like hell! >_<

• Nope. It's distracting to listen to music and read. The TV can be on tho which is kind of weird.

• sometimes when i read, yeap

• Depends yea ^^

• Psssh... I don't read unless necessary.

• hmm yes I have had music on while I read. But usually only when it's light read.

• No, it would distract me. And i am already have a short attention spam

• No it distracts me

• Usually yes. Depends on the kind of music

• Nope. Has to be quiet.
    Sometimes I'll listen to Mozart or "studying" music.

• More from Girls
    5

What Guys Said 25

• not really. usually music distracts me from reading. the only types of music i can listen to while reading are classical and jazz

• I also poop, vomit, sing, sneeze, snap my fingers, and tap my toes at the same time!

• Music distracts me, I'd just start singing along lol.
    Tried classical music too... doesn't work.

• If I'm casually reading articles online or if I'm like reading a book I've read before yeah.

But if I'm studying or reading a book for the first time then no I don't I prefer to have silence so that I can focus on it.

• No I don't like any distractions when I read but I blast metal when I'm doing math hw for some reason. I'm easily distracted and that kind of music drowns out any possible distractions so I'm just focused on calculations.

• No. It's way too distracting, even if it's piano or classical music.

• I read without music or noise because I don't want to be distracted. Seems to work best for me.

• I don't, I can't read if there's any kind of noise around me.

• Depends on what I'm reading! Background or white noise might help.

• I cook, watch tv/listen to music while in the mean time i use my mobile to chat with friends.
    Multi tasking to the max! :D
    things get done so much quicker.

• I don't, I read in silence if it is something academic or work related! 📖

• Yea I do. But never in the same language as the book is written. Most of the times I just listen to some classic music

• i don't read, but when if i do read a book, it's impossible for me to have noise going on

• Yeah usually that's the case
    I'm playing music as I'm going through these questions

• Classical maybe. But nothing with lyrics, otherwise I will lose my focus.

• Nope, it reduces the effectiveness of my imagination.

• I can't listen to music whilst reading.

• No, Icannot concentrate on two things at the same time

• Nope. I listen to music alone.

• Nope, I'll end up phasing the music out.

• I would find it hard to focus on reading when there is awesome music I want to enjoy too.

• Yeah, I can't read or do anything without background noise

• i can't concentrate on reading with all that noise

• Sometimes I listen to classical music while I read. Other than that no.

• For me whoever doesn't he/she's just WEIRD...

I listen to music anywhere... when I eat when I drink when I shit... and when I read some article in da internet...