Do you like to read?

I am a HUGE book worm.
I used to and still get shit for reading so much but I love reading.
My favorite author is Stephen King and my favorite book is Rose Madder by him

This isn't relevant but I MUST tell someone
I just finished the entire last season of weeds together ( watched 18 episodes) and it's 3 am and there's no more Weeds! I feel so empty + incomplete now :/ I dunno what to do with my life anymore.

Most Helpful Guy

• I like to read, but I like watching tv, anime, and playing video games more. I enjoy reading more; I can visualize the scenery in my head to where a book almost plays like a movie, with S-V; and I can read without sub-vocalizing, meaning I can read without saying the words in my head which results in reading many times faster than with sub-vocalization. But watching tv is easier. Mmm. I enjoy reading more, but I enjoy tv more. There we go.

Sub-vocalization is how people are taught to read. It's basically like how you look at a stop sign. You don't have to read it. You instantly know the word. I can get through a 700 page novel in a night. I binge read. Though it takes effort without S-V. You can read sentences and paragraphs at a time, instead of one word. Of course, it's not as enjoyable as taking your time.

Insomnia is better.

Weeds was good. Especially the ending with the holographic iPhone. Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Dexter, House M. D., Grey's Anatomy, House of Cards, The Wire, Rome HBO, One Punch Man, The Sopranos, The Wire, Firefly, Friends.

• by the way im reading Insomnia now
      I've already watched TWD and I'm watching Dexter now

• Kew. Mm. You might want to go with the alternate ending of the finale of S8. The entire series is ultimately one of the best of the millennia, but a lot of people were very, very unhappy with the ending. Oh wow. S9 might be coming. Thought the show was dead.

Most Helpful Girl

• Heck yes! I love reading! (kind of why I work in a bookstore)
    unfortunately I never have enough time to read. I seriously have 6 books waiting for me to read them.

• I reaaaaally wanna work in a book store or library

• It has it's ups and downs, but I do like being able to discuss books with people and give and get recommendations. We do this thing at my store actually where we try to sell a lot of copies of a book we're really passionate about, so I got to write a little blurb about one of my favs yesterday and it'll go on the shelf soon.

What Guys Said 34

• People sometimes tag me as a book reader, but I actually very hardly read books. I find I am more interested in psychological thriller or sci fi tv shows/movies. I like visual media that poses an interesting plot and or questions.
    I'm guessing I get about the same experience from movies/tv shows as people get from books.

Whenever I read, it tends to be a psychology textbook for class or reviewing notes xD

I wouldn't give someone crap about it though. I mean-- I'm glad that they found a way to entertain themselves, and people who read books tend to be creative. It just isn't for me.

• Yes, I love reading ^^

But the books I read are in 99.9% of all cases nonfictional.

I'm reading books in various languages also, mostly in English, German and Dutch.

Right now, I'm reading a 905 page long book about the psychology in economy ! :D

• Yes of course I'm an introvert. :)

• I like to read yes. But for some reason I like the idea of it more than I actually do it. I have way too many unfinished books on the go! I'm probably reading five at once atm! I guess I don't like to be constrained by just one book.

• I used to read more. Now, I'd rather write if I could. However, I do a considerable amount of reading on the web mostly for news and education purposes. For instance, I have a subscription to The New York Times.

• I hate reading, always have. It bores me so much and I just want to go to sleep lol. A book has to be extremely interesting (very, very few are) and even then, I can only read a little bit before I'm done and have to do something else. I've never understood why people enjoy it so much but most do.

• I read fairly often, certainly more than I watch television. Most of my extra money is spent on books when I should probably be saving up for a house or something. I like St. Isaac the Syrian--he is one of the few religious figures whose books I enjoy. I've read and reread his "Ascetic Homilies" countless times. I also like Richard Matheson and anything from antiquity. I do NOT enjoy postmodern literature, like anything written from the 1960s up to now.

• yes and no... I generally like it, but I prefer reading in bed before I sleep but since I always go way too late to bed, I don't have the time or motivation to do it anymore.
    That's why I haven't really red a good book in ages.

But I read some Mangas every now and then if that counts, lol

• I'm trying to do more reading for pleasure, but it hasn't been easy.

Next up for me is Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov.

• When I can find time. Life gets busy, tonnes of things to do, but I try to read for 15 to 20 mins before bed every night.

• Yes I do

• I do but not books. I usually read alternate history and fan fiction.

• Reading puts me to sleep. I think it was because I went to school from kindergarden through 8th grade at a private religious school that had a "reading list" from which to pick books from for book reports and other papers. Most of the books sucked.

• Until about a year or 2 ago I never read anything. But when I went to jail and got on probation, reading became a lot more interesting than watching TV, and I became much more involved in it. I really only read non-fiction books though. Fictions books/novels really dont interest me and I don't see the point in them.

• I read a lot of nonfiction, fantasy isn't really my thing. I know tons of people who obsess over book series and it does get pretty annoying sometimes when it gets to the point where it's all they talk about.

• Well... enjoy it while it lasts... soon you won't have the time to pick up a book for pure pleasure reading.
    Also, you want a new show? look into Marvel's Daredevil... or The Mentalist.

• Yes I will cause I can make time
      an no I'm finishing Dexter now

• ooooh thats good... i was about to restart that. if you like that... go for the mentalist next... or maybe hannibal but thats confusing to me when im hammered.

• Nice, I'm a huge bookworm as well my favorite author is Raymond Chandler, what's your favorite book?

• No. I mean obviously I use forums so I must, but not like... This is a complicated question; I'll get back to you.

• Yes, I like to read various comics and some of the books, especially horror genre, like Stephen King's books.

• Yes I do, but I don't really read much though

• Not really. Its okay I guess.
    Its kinda fun when I read to others.

• Reading is actually fun, depending on the book. I'm not a huge book-worm but for college, some of the books we have to read are pretty good.

• Sure, I read...
    I don't have a favourite author... But my favourite book has to be all quiet on the western front, by Erich Maria Ramarque

• I love to read. I actually get anxious if my book mark isn't in a book lol. Stephen king, John Connolly, Michael Connelly, and lee child are some of my favorites

• Somewhat. Hard to find something that's interesting to me or I'm just looking in the wrong places. Favourite is probably A Song of Ice and Fire which is still in writing...

• I was and I should really score myself an e-reader. I still read about a book a month.

• YES , reading is sooo much my only hobby , always enjoyable

• I enjoy reading sometimes.
    Its relaxing and feels so good.

• Not really, explains why I'm so illiterate..

Hah you got that TV withdrawal feeling.

• I love Stephen King too. And I like to read.

• More from Guys
    4

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 21

• nice, i love reading too.
    a huge geek about it since it is basically gonna b my career lol. i don't have a favourite author but yeah i think it's healthy for the soul. the fact that people give u shit over it only makes them look uneducated.

• Not really unfortunately.. I used to when I was in HS and Middle School but only in the school context, they made us read a lot from "The Lumiere Philosophers" like Voltaire and Montesquieu , I really liked them and liked books like 1989, Orwell... I like books that are a bit more philosophical and political.. not really a fan of stories tbh, I would rather watch a movie in that case :)

• Oh I read small teen books lol I am reading perfection

• "I used to and still get shit for reading so much but I love reading."

I am a book worm and a book collector, and also a Persian-German translator. I've seen many actual book worms who are sitting, reading and writing more than half a day, none of them really got shit for reading books. For playing video games, yes. For reading books, not that much. In university lazy students may bully book worms but they aren't considered crap really. Especially in my field of study.

Who gives you all that shit anyway? Tell me to send my army to kill him (or her? or them? or it? are you sure it isn't Lord Loss?) whatever.

My favorite books are many. Ferdowsi's Book of the kings, Rumi's Masnavi, Avesta, Edda, Illiad, Odyssey. Sophocles's, Aeschylus's, and Euripides's plays, I have a complete collection. Aristophanes's plays especially ecclesiazusae it's absolutely hilarious. Aesop's Fables, Cyropaedia, A midsummer night's dream, Faust, die leiden des jungen werthers, The Gambler, Animal farm, wilhelm meisters lehrjahre, picture of the Dorian grey, Lord of the rings. and many many others. I can't even name all of them.

I've never read a book written by Stephen King though, yet, sadly. Or maybe I just won't like his books. I don't know. I am more into pre 20th century books.

My favourite Poets are Ferdowsi and Homer. And if I want to give away all my books and keep only one of them it will be either Aesop's Fables or Ferdowsi's book of kings, or Faust.

• I understand and just I used to read books 24/7 so I had no life. And it's just people at school+my friends cause its so"lame" to read a lot now
      and Stephen King is amazinhg

• I like to read but unfortunately I don't get to read as much as I used to :/

• I go through phases with it... like I will read constantly during all my spare time for months and then I'll just stop haha

• I love to read. :) That's why I got my master's in a field that focuses on reading.

• I have my days, there would be days where i hate reading, won't go near one or anything and then the days were im just obsessed and could literally sit for hours and read through books ahah :)

• :O the liessssss... she's lying Asker.. she's full nerd, its a mission for me to drag her away from those things... so I've declared a world war :") haha i love youuuuuu Zo <3

• I love reading, and I've always loved it. My favourite authors are Robin Hobb and David Eddings.
    I've been able to read less and less lately, because of work and life, and it's so depressing.

• I love to read. Been reading since I was four.

• I used to ALWAYS be reading :(

• Yes, reading is the most calming and relaxing meditation for me. I enjoy reading books that involve love, relationships, etc. However, my true passion is reading about how to obtain a healthy lifestyle and research on food constantly.

• Yeah but I haven't been reading any books lately

• Yaaaas, I love reading!

& Time to find a new show to binge on lol

• I love to read but not as much as when I was younger. When I was younger, reading was my hobby.

• I love reading

• On average, how many times do you read the things you read?

• At least 50% of the time, I usually get very absorbed and try to actually understand what I'm reading

• If picking up other languages is a thing that interests you, you could find yr favorite King books in other languages, and read them side-by-side with the English edition (for when you encounter things you don't understand).

I mean, you'd need a certain level of basic proficiency before you could do this, but, yeah.

If you like the horror genre in general, here are a couple recent recommendations (yr public library will probably have them):
      "Dark Matter", Michelle Paver
      "The Last Werewolf", Glen Duncan (which did a great job of making the whole werewolf-story thing fresh again, if you can believe it)
      "Before I Go to Sleep", S. J. Watson
      "Southern Gods", John Hornor Jacobs
      "Grease Monkey and Other Tales of Erotic Horror", Graham Masterton
      "Monsters of LA", Lisa Morton
      "The Forest of Hands and Teeth", Carrie Ryan -- I'd have appreciated this one even more at yr age, so, check it out for sure

• I've read the forest of hands and teeth and loved it. i'll definetly look the other us

• Yes i love to read

• I love to read, do it whenever i have the time

• I love reading, but I'm so busy these days that I don't have the time anymore. :/

• No, I don't enjoy it.