Is it good to scare seals this way?

This is an interesting way to get seals off of the docks. Still using wind dancers seems a little mean. Also do you think this will keep the seals away?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3502537/Wacky-inflatable-tube-dancers-aren-t-liking-sea-lions-Astoria-Port-officials-come-plan-stop-eating-fish.html

Is it good to scare seals this way?

• yes it will keep working
  • No it won't
  • that's just mean (explain)
Sorry for the typo in the question. They're not seals they're sea lions.

Most Helpful Guy

• I prefer sneaking up on them with my big styrofoam club. As soon as they see it they started squealing at the top of their lungs, and running in circles bumping into each other. It's a real hoot!

Most Helpful Girl

• This will probably stop working over time. Seals aren't that stupid. The people should put up a floating dock a mile or so away from their dock. It would potentially solve the problem.

• Then some of the sea lions would go to that one. And even if it would work, it would keep the fishermen and tour boats away from the area where their business is.

• Or floats those sea lions.

• @Mustachekitteh thank you for mhg!

What Guys Said 7

• It is easy to criticize this solution to a problem if you are not the one who must deal with the problem. The seals will be fine without spending time on the docks.

• I guess since they've figured out those things annoy and scare off customers from business locations they figured why not try them on seals.

• Animals learn, if they learn the inflatable dancers pose no threat to them they will just start ignoring them again.

• That's hilarious. I wounder who dreamt that up? I don't see a problem with it, they are man maid structures anyway. I'm sure they've lost a lot of their shore line though...

• Cute AF

• No. It'll not. You need to be careful.

• Seals, no matter how cute, are still pests.

• That's mean and makes it seem like humans are entitled to have all those fish. Fuck humans because the seals are the ones who will starve if they don't eat the salmon!

• U know that saying, "there's plenty of fish in the sea?" Lol

But SERIOUSLY there are a shit ton of places that they COULD be, even a beach would work all the people would jut snap pics and not bother them! But they choose to be on the MUTHAFUCKIN DOCKS WTF WE NEED THOSE

• Who said anything about fish? We have been talking about the seal lions (not seals) parking on the docks. The docks were built for the fishermen to pull up to. Nothing wrong with the sea lions leaving the docks to the fishermen. (And tour boats, etc.)

As for the fish, that is a problem when the sea lions go to choke points and gorge themselves on returning salmon. Such as the fish ladders at the dams. When the sea lions gorge themselves there (not just what their needs are, but everything in sight) it cuts the migration of salmon and thereby depletes the stock of new salmon the next year. It will actually hurt them as well as humans.

What Girls Said 1

• Ugh it's so hard to get rid of the stupid sea lions. There's a ton of them and they're eating all the salmon and being a hassle at the docks.

I voted yes but I hope it's more than wishful thinking. And at the end of the day the inflatables are nicer than culling them which is what a lot of people want to do.